Your favorite guitarist

Good to see Frank Hannon on this list. Between him and Chris DeGarmo, probably accounts at least 50% of what I was listening to in the first few years of the '90s. I'll add Tommy Skeoch and Michael Wilton, too.

I do completely love the interplay between Hannon and Skeoch; they're so different that they complemented each other perfectly! I think of Hannon as an Americana shredder haha!

I love everything about Queensryche up to the Promised Land album. I've always loved the writing, but the guitar playing overall I thought was just fine. I always thought their biggest strength was just unbelievable songwriting. Some solos are so great because of the way they feel composed, like London from Rage for Order. That's a great example to me if the guitarists in that band at their best. And I think they always tried hard in those days, but to me the soloing overall was not as well written as the overall songwriting.

I do completely love the interplay between Hannon and Skeoch; they're so different that they complemented each other perfectly! I think of Hannon as an Americana shredder haha!

I love everything about Queensryche up to the Promised Land album. I've always loved the writing, but the guitar playing overall I thought was just fine. I always thought their biggest strength was just unbelievable songwriting. Some solos are so great because of the way they feel composed, like London from Rage for Order. That's a great example to me if the guitarists in that band at their best. And I think they always tried hard in those days, but to me the soloing overall was not as well written as the overall songwriting.

Yep, I agree completely. Queensryche for me was always about the song and the mood. I thought DeGarmo did a really good job of matching the solo to the song (Wilton was more of a shredder, I think, but I liked them both). For that matter, the production and arrangements were always really good, too. And yeah, London has been my favorite song of that album forever! Great album full of great songs!

The way Tesla all played off each other was always a joy to watch and to listen to, even back to their first album. Put on an incredible show, too!

My favourites are:
Julian Lage
Nir Felder
Tim Miller
Michael Landau
John Scofield
Robben Ford

For the tone itself i’d say Landau and Tim Miller

Mine are from metal.

Rhythm: Phil Sgrosso of As I Lay Dying, namely his 2005-2012 work. For the classic 2000s metalcore genre, I think his catchy melodic riffs are unparalleled.

Lead: Joona Björkroth of the Finnish metal band Brymir, and of course the late Oli Herbert of All That Remains.

It changes from time to time, but I've always liked these (in no particular order)

Elliot Easton
Andy Summers
Neil Giraldo
J. J. Cale
Criss Oliva
Steve Stevens
Keith Scott

Scott Gorham
Brian Robertson
Gary Moore
Rory Gallagher
Joe Bonamassa
Victor Fairly (from my schoolboy days).

When you watch YT or similar and some young prodigy comes along and everybody is going crazy over them my first ever little schoolboy jam type of band had Victor playing guitar. He was probably about 13/14 and to this day I still say he is one of the best guitarists I have ever heard or played with. He could do things back then (1977-78-ish) that I cannot do now as a 60-year-old. If Youtube had been around then he would have stunned people. He has left a lifetime-lasting impression on me, but he is not famous to the World. But he is famous to me!

Too many to mention! I love the rock, prog-rock, classic rock and fusion players, along with some classical and country pickers. But I’ll let you guess my number one!

Too many to mention! I love the rock, prog-rock, classic rock and fusion players, along with some classical and country pickers. But I’ll let you guess my number one!

Um... CC Deville???? 🤣 j/k

Lifeson is an incredible player and has been extremely influential to me. I wish I would've discovered Rush earlier in the '80s than I did, but still... have some incredible memories both at their shows and listening to and playing their music!

Such a clouded answer to give! Over the years I have had so many like everyone here you start posting all of your favorite guitar players. As to who I sound like or influenced me the most is an even tougher answer. Most of my playing styles were rooted in rock / hard rock and blues.

Too much bother to write em all down but.....
Mr Vai
Mr Van Halen
Mr Moore
Mr Blackmore
would be top of my list.

Jason Richardson!
Tsshaha

SICK player!!
Was watching a 'lesson' of his, where he was ascending through diatonic arpeggios. Which most people would play as sweeps. He goes, "I like to stay with alt-picking for the note separation." :astonished:

It was ASTOUNDING how fast he was alt-picking SINGLE-NOTE-PER-STRING arpeggios!

Tsshaha

SICK player!!
Was watching a 'lesson' of his, where he was ascending through diatonic arpeggios. Which most people would play as sweeps. He goes, "I like to stay with alt-picking for the note separation." :astonished:

It was ASTOUNDING how fast he was alt-picking SINGLE-NOTE-PER-STRING arpeggios!
Got a link?

Looks like I'm on my own private island on this one, but out of all the amazing players in the world, the single biggest influence on my own playing is Steve Morse.

Back
Top Bottom