Your current fav Marshallesque amps?

I think the Arredondo mods really change the character of the amp strongly, so I don't blame anyone for feeling like the Atomica is not really like a regular Plexi. It's like the step beyond a Plexi.

I read up on it and it’s an interesting story. In any case I like the model. It suits me better than the other Plexis. Looking forward to the FM3 getting the 2203 and whenever that happens I’ll try it.

I read up on it and it’s an interesting story. In any case I like the model. It suits me better than the other Plexis. Looking forward to the FM3 getting the 2203 and whenever that happens I’ll try it.

To me Plexis and JCM800s really need the perfect cab and mic combination to sound great. All that matters is that you have the tones you need. I know for me, for all the Marshall amps up to the 800s, getting the perfect IR or DynaCab placement is everything. As long as you are able to say everything you want with your favored amps, of course that's all that matters. Before I got into the Plexi models on their own, I would tend to put a drive in front, often the OCD HP.

To me Plexis and JCM800s really need the perfect cab and mic combination to sound great. All that matters is that you have the tones you need. I know for me, for all the Marshall amps up to the 800s, getting the perfect IR or DynaCab placement is everything. As long as you are able to say everything you want with your favored amps, of course that's all that matters. Before I got into the Plexi models on their own, I would tend to put a drive in front, often the OCD HP.

My tube amp was built on a Carvin donor chassis. It’s mostly a 50 watt 1987 build with some mods but no extra staging. That was my jam, the OCD into that. And I used a Tumnus deluxe into the OCD for my highest gain level. It was a nice setup.

The Plexi is a misunderstand beast. When I first began to play guitar in the 80's, I taught the plexi tone was that hair metal tone. In fact, it was the modded plexi tone every guitar hero of that era would pay their amp guru to get. A raw plexi don't have that much gain, think Angus Young or Led Zeppelin kind of tone. The Friedman, Splawn and Cameron models in the Axe fx do the modded plexi thing, not the classic plexi sound. You have the character of the British tone with tighter bass and more gain. In the Axe fx you can still pimp your Plexi amp with tons of parameters, but what's the point when you have all these hot rodded models? If you want classic rock Plexi tone, use all the Plexis models, and if you want modded Plexi, use all the variations of a modded hot rod Marshall available in the box ( a lot). Cheers!

I think the Arredondo mods really change the character of the amp strongly, so I don't blame anyone for feeling like the Atomica is not really like a regular Plexi. It's like the step beyond a Plexi.
Yeah this!
I had a Friedman BE 100 Deluxe and I really do like the BE/HBE and Atomica in the Axe III.
But actually I prefer a Plexi (100W) by far!
It’s just a raw sounding beast.
If I would ever a real amp again I would look for a Plexi and not for a hot rodded modern version etc.

2203, SV20H, 1970 Plexi, 6CA7, CCV, Ecstasy, Nitro 1... so many greats in there and I cycle through them every now and then. The CCV and Nitro are for high gain duties only, though. The CCV 2B for tight modern metal stuff, and Nitro for Recto-type tones. The other amps are way too versatile to be pigeon-holed because they can do pretty much anything.

Edit: also the JVM Oranges. Fantastic high gain amps.

Plexi 100 and 1959SLP for me. Before the v6 firmware the 1959SLP was what I was using 95% of the time. Now, it's about 50-50, depends on what I am aiming for.

Truth to be told, I need to audition all +300 amps again because I've been stuck with these two since forever (especially with the Plexi 100, since the AF2 era).

Last edited:
Thanks! It’s the Legacy 103, 4x12 Basketweave TV Mix. Never heard the need for 3rd party IRs with the Fractal units, I’m very content with the factory stuff. Transformer mic pre cranked up till just below clipping. Obviously I double tracked the parts, I tend to do that when doing A/Bs because otherwise it’s easy to confuse differences between takes as differences in the gear.

The metal riff is a tweaked factory USA Mk V preset, the day tripper riff is one of the AC30 style amps, probably the AC20. Wasn’t really trying to super nail any of the original album tones, this was more just for me to see if I could duplicate the tones from a much more expensive LP with a much cheaper Revstar (I kept the revstar, haha).

Curious note: I've started testing the Marshalls mentioned here, using the Marshall preset that El Maestro @Burgs kindly shared here as a base. That preset uses a Dyna-Cab (screenshot below). After reading your post, I have selected Legacy #103 on Channel B with the Transformer preamp cranked, as you indicate. Without touching the amp block tone, Legacy #103 sounds darker than Burg's Dyna-Cab. But not bad after adding more treble at the amp.

Conclusion: worth to have a look to Burg's Dyna-Cab settings for playing with Marshalls, because it is close to Legacy#103 but with the advantage that you can fine-tune the mic positions for different flavors.

Thank you, @Burgs !!

1709549808582.png

I attach my Marshall tests using Burg's kitchen preset, in case that someone finds it useful. Note: work in progress

Attachments

• Dirty Shirley & 1959SLP.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Brit 800 & AFS 100.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 24
  • PLEXI 100W & 1987.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 26
  • PLEXI 50W.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Yes yes another Marshall discussion but with recent FW updates and some additional models I've been creating a master preset that has my favorite Marshall-esque models. currently my preset is like this: 1959 SLP; Plexi50W 6Ca7; Brit 800#34; Dirty Shirley; JMP-1; HBE CE45

I'm finding as I'm auditioning these models I'm less enamoured wiht the 59 SLP that I used to love. It's feeling flubby/mushy but again i can't compare that to an HBE that is tighter.

What I'm thinking of giving (another shot): JS410; Plexi 2204; Brit Silver

What is your absolute go to fav like top 2-3 Marshall models??

Edit:
Also, how many of you tend to change the Tone Stacks? if so, for which models do you like doing this to?
Oh man you've opened the can now..

I have a very nice JMP-1 dialled in, in fact, I'm using the original Brit pre model as that has a little bit more aggression.
The JS410 with a filter block before the amp, just to cut some extra lows, lovely amp
The JVM.. all time favourite
The Plexi 50w with presence turned up and treble all the way up, dirt pedal and throw a chorus in there and a delay, what a tone!

There are too many for me and I can never decide which is my favourite. It changes weekly lol

Last night went back to the drawing board to double check some settings as few of you mentioned and yes I had the bass way too high on some of the plexis. Few other adjustments in eq/negative feedback etc and i had the Plexi 6CA7 sounding pretty great. I'm kind of over the 1959SLP tbh so it lost its place in this master marshall preset. I'm thinking i'll try out one of the JVM410's later tonight. One model I landed on instead last night for good amount of time was the Plexi 100W jumped. Not as nasty a beast as some of the 50W plexis...more open. The plexis seem to be very sensitive to how you dial them in.

Last edited:
I like to share my 1ooW Plexi preset. I do love greasy 80's sounds, so this preset is based on Leon Todd's (@2112 ) Greasy Soldano preset.
There are two different 1960 TV Dyna cab settings on channel a and b.
If you like 80's Rock enjoy!

Attachments

• Greasy Jose.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 24
1959 100 watt Super Lead Plexi -and- 1970 100 watt Plexi. There are plenty others worth mentioning, but I most often start here and very often stay put for a Marshall sound.

I tried increasing the MV after seeing that post. To me, the low mids get really congested and it sounded terrible. So I went back to keeping it around 2.8 or so. I am using a real cab so that might make a difference. I really don't like the sound of power amp distortion.
+1 that trick perhaps work for the BE channel, but definitely not for the HBE imo.

Back
Top Bottom