Your current fav Marshallesque amps?

Yes yes another Marshall discussion but with recent FW updates and some additional models I've been creating a master preset that has my favorite Marshall-esque models. currently my preset is like this: 1959 SLP; Plexi50W 6Ca7; Brit 800#34; Dirty Shirley; JMP-1; HBE CE45

I'm finding as I'm auditioning these models I'm less enamoured wiht the 59 SLP that I used to love. It's feeling flubby/mushy but again i can't compare that to an HBE that is tighter.

What I'm thinking of giving (another shot): JS410; Plexi 2204; Brit Silver

What is your absolute go to fav like top 2-3 Marshall models??

Edit:
Also, how many of you tend to change the Tone Stacks? if so, for which models do you like doing this to?

Are you using the same Cab, set in the same way for all of your favorite amp models??

Are you using the same Cab, set in the same way for all of your favorite amp models??
I have a few channels with my sort of go to cabs. In this Marshall preset i have 3 flavors. 1) factor 2 840 4x12 recto ST 57 YA with Leons LT TV mix 7 2) YA MRSH 412 M20 mix 10 with Leons LT TV mix 7 and 3) dyna cab pair of 4x12 5153 cabs. Condensor on one and Dynamic 2 on the other (this combo I ripped off @Burgs )i think it was from one of his recent presets he created showcasing the new 2203 and blue stealth when it came out on a recent FW update

Last night spent a good amount of time on my Marshall preset. Part of my reason for making it was to unofficially decide on a main model as a go to. I've realized I really favor the Brit 800 #34 over the 1959SLP/Plexi 50W 6CA7/JMP-1. Maybe its just that I've dialed it in better or whatever but its overall tone to me just sits right. I have yet to spend some time on a few of the JVM/JS410 and Plexi 2203/2204 to see what comes out on top. I'm looking for my main go to for those vintage rock tones. ACDC to GnR to early VH and so far that Brit 800#34 does it well.

@Bman i think you meant @Chewie5150 but Im all in haha.

I will do a forum search as i dont remember the 1959/1970 differences. I have what iirc is a dimed 1595 preset from when i had my 50s standard goldtop and it still sounds awesome.
My bad... I dunno how I could get the of you mixed up. Chewie is literally Chewie...lol.

So... in the later updates I think the Plexi's behave like their real deal amps, particularly in the way you dial in the treble and bass gains. That being said, I cannot figure out how to dime both gains without the amp needing a boost or OD to 'smooth' it out and then it's to much. I've tried using a variac down at 90 and 80 and then upped the bias in the tubes. That actually works well for a lot of the Marshall models, new and old but it doesn't smooth out what I hear with the gains dimed and even worse, with everything dimed. I gotta take a PEQ to it. And even then, I can go back to the Brit Brown or the Brit Super to get the same thing but smoother.

Any of you guys diming the older plexi models and getting it to hold together?

So... in the later updates I think the Plexi's behave like their real deal amps, particularly in the way you dial in the treble and bass gains. That being said, I cannot figure out how to dime both gains without the amp needing a boost or OD to 'smooth' it out and then it's to much. I've tried using a variac down at 90 and 80 and then upped the bias in the tubes. That actually works well for a lot of the Marshall models, new and old but it doesn't smooth out what I hear with the gains dimed and even worse, with everything dimed. I gotta take a PEQ to it. And even then, I can go back to the Brit Brown or the Brit Super to get the same thing but smoother.

You could try Leon's trick of having 2 Irs phased 20ms apart. It takes out the harshness. I sometimes use cathode harmonics to bring up the warmth.

This. Unless my ear memory is fooling me I swear a few FW's ago my dimed plexis like the 6ca7 and 1959SLP sounded fine but now its just out of control and the bottom end is flub city. Perhaps the newer FW's are just more accurate to the real world counterparts that I have zero experience with.

What pickups is everyone hitting the dimed plexis with? I will try to do a quick lp clip with mine.

This. Unless my ear memory is fooling me I swear a few FW's ago my dimed plexis like the 6ca7 and 1959SLP sounded fine but now its just out of control and the bottom end is flub city. Perhaps the newer FW's are just more accurate to the real world counterparts that I have zero experience with.
How high are you running the bass I have read that many artists keep the bass relatively low Demartini had bass around 9 or 10 o’clock mids and treble cranked

I’m on the fm3 so don’t know about the new update but with any plexi the more the gain the less the bass.

My main preset got 0 bass at all with a 1970 gain around 7 on the treble channel and zero on the no normal.
Depending on your guitar but it’s a usual thing to dial the bass near zero on a plexi.

How high are you running the bass I have read that many artists keep the bass relatively low Demartini had bass around 9 or 10 o’clock mids and treble cranked
The more the master volume is set high, the less bass you should add, especially on the Plexi models, and the drive should be minimal as well as you get your gain from the power amp or otherwise it can get flubby

What pickups is everyone hitting the dimed plexis with? I will try to do a quick lp clip with mine.
I'm slamming mine with a Seymore Duncan Frankenstein. It's hot according to the 15K noted on the box. They're hand wired and you get what you get when you order. BUT....They behave much better than the mid focused JB I had before. It's just more livelier and I got it because I loved how my EVH Frankie replica played. I've now had a Dimarzio Super D, a Duncan JB and currently the Frankenstein in my Charvel HSS USA. I love this guitar.

But I've also used both the Thornbucker plus and a Classic 57 plus with the Plexi tone chasing. Seems all the plus models have a little hotter winding and push it just as much as this 15K Frankenstein. But they don't push it hard enough like a boost pedal would to smooth out the flub. At least I haven't achieved that yet.

There's a Lion pedal video out with Blues Saraceno, Pete Thorn and the Sweetwater guys. The tone that Blues got by using the Bass Gain is something I'm currently chasing. He got it with that new pedal (they all got their tones) and I checked out some of his music where's using a Dirty Shirly. I love the tone he got in this video man. I can get the rhythm to sound like it but the leads don't have the sustain he had. Then again, he's Blues Saraceno and I'm Bman...lol. But I know good tone, dang it!!

Less bass and a sweet spot on the mid knob gets most of the flub out. But I'm still left with the question: How do you dime everything ala EVH, and get it going even with the variac. I mean, with the variac it's 75% to 90% (to taste) and then up the Grid Bias right?

Edit: 1959SLP, all Tone controls dimed, Variac at 78% and upped the Supply Sag to 4.7. Upped Grid Bias to 90%. I think it's there. Playing with the Bright Switch on/off. I think I like it off. Cleans up and has juice. I'm only 5 min into it and I'm using a Dyna Cab, which I rarely do. Anyone know if the values on the Variac and Grid Bias are in the ball park to what Ed did?

Edit again: Crap.. I have a GEQ at the end of the chain rolling off the lows. Not saying it's a bad thing, but wanted to clarify. Then again, it's not like I achieved the holy grail of tone......yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom