You Guys/Gals Are in for Another Treat

I'm working on it. Every amp model needs to be reentered. Lot of work. So far it is sounding fantastic. It's hard to keep focused as I get distracted playing.

It can be a bit shocking at first. Those "vintagey" amps are quite a bit different in some cases. Spitty, gnarly, nasty, angry sounding. The "polished" sound is gone. The low end is tighter. High gain amps growl and chug with a vocal quality. Medium gain amps purr like a big cat. Low gain amps sound big and chimey.

The whole impetus for this was I was doing some critical listening and I noticed that certain amp models didn't have the same distortion "texture" as the real amp. The amps sounded like rubbing two rocks together while the models sounded more like sandpaper. There was also a vocal quality. The amps went "chug, chug, yowwwwww" while the models went "chit, chit, yeeeeee". That led to a complete rewrite of the preamp algorithms. What I learned from that I applied to improvements in the power amp algorithms.
Thank you for the update on your work. As I've said before, your dedication to your craft is quite admirable. And please know that, a lot of the Fractal community acknowledges that while the updates are free, all the research that goes into the firmware is not. Sacrifices are made whether it's personal time or other business avenues, everything has a cost. While I am very excited for the new firmware, we'll get there when we get there. And when we do, it will be enjoyed by all I hope. Thank you again for the update.

Thank you Cliff!
This personal touch never ceases to amaze me...
What other company/manufacturer does this..gives continual firmware updates, and..., actually gives a products'detailed heads-up on what they have in store for its users.
Answer: in all the world,..NONE!!!

Last edited:
I'm working on it. Every amp model needs to be reentered. Lot of work. So far it is sounding fantastic. It's hard to keep focused as I get distracted playing.

It can be a bit shocking at first. Those "vintagey" amps are quite a bit different in some cases. Spitty, gnarly, nasty, angry sounding. The "polished" sound is gone. The low end is tighter. High gain amps growl and chug with a vocal quality. Medium gain amps purr like a big cat. Low gain amps sound big and chimey.

The whole impetus for this was I was doing some critical listening and I noticed that certain amp models didn't have the same distortion "texture" as the real amp. The amps sounded like rubbing two rocks together while the models sounded more like sandpaper. There was also a vocal quality. The amps went "chug, chug, yowwwwww" while the models went "chit, chit, yeeeeee". That led to a complete rewrite of the preamp algorithms. What I learned from that I applied to improvements in the power amp algorithms.
Hi @FractalAudio
How will it benefit the FM3 cpu wise?
Do you think this will make easier to port latest Drives and Pitch block updates?
Thanks

This is really exciting !! I really appreciate the ton of work that goes into a major change like this, it is a big decision to do so.

What is often forgotten is all the collateral work that needs to happen at same time from Matt and the Admin team ......ARES edit from Product descriptions, Manuals updated,...Web and Store page assets, product registrations ....etc, etc .go FAS GO CYGNUS !

The problem is that now everyone believes something is wrong with the chugging, which is why we're all just playing snake-jazz to avoid inauthenticity till the next firmware. Otherwise God might kill a kitten if we chug an inferior chug.
Makes me wonder.. Has anybody checked on Seal since the announcement?

I'm getting a chubby just reading that! ;)

Looks like the Axe FX III continues to be the best money spent on guitar gear for me. I appreciate your passion for what you do.

Back
Top Bottom