You ever feel like your gear is too good for you?

ezvictor

Inspired
It’s not my gear that’s holding me back. Lol.
I would be awesome if I could live up to my rig. The FM9 has cured me of gas as of right now. I’m aware of the possibility of remission but I can’t think of anything that I could justify as needed. In fact I need to work on filling the holes in my technique and playing. Keep jamming and thanks to Cliff and all of fractal for making such great stuff. You are greatly appreciated.
I hate posts like this but here I am

Yup. Some years ago when I had more financial liquidity, I personally owned several high-end PRS guitars, Private Stocks. Not all at the same time, mind you, but still much more than I could justify owning for my skill/ability level. During that same time, I also owned some custom leather Mesa amps/cabs, a pair of them.

I eventually downsized after realizing that one does not need to be overly ostentatious or compensate for his lack of ability. (Some men do this with their cars. I personally cannot justify this).

In time, I downsized to a simple boutique 1x12 combo with decent effects board, with 3 guitars, one core non-ten-top PRS, one PRS SE and a PRS SE Acoustic.

Once I'd learned about FAS, the acoustic was sold, and so was the combo and effects board.

In it's place are now the PRS core, the PRS SE, and my Temple Audio Duo 34/FM9/EV-1/2x Ext SW.

It's more than I'll ever need for the time being. The only possible purchase I'd consider is acquiring a replacement PRS SE acoustic for the one I'd sold in order to finance my FM9. My needs are taken care of. My wants, however, are a force to be reckoned with...

Last edited:
Frequently feel that the equipment is better than my playing is these days.

However, the 'deserving' or not bit smacks of moral judgement. If you worked and earned some money, and then subsequently got yourself a goodie that brings you even a tiny bit of happiness in this depressing, terminal affliction we call life, then you deserve it....

It’s not my gear that’s holding me back. Lol.
I would be awesome if I could live up to my rig. The FM9 has cured me of gas as of right now. I’m aware of the possibility of remission but I can’t think of anything that I could justify as needed. In fact I need to work on filling the holes in my technique and playing. Keep jamming and thanks to Cliff and all of fractal for making such great stuff. You are greatly appreciated.
I hate posts like this but here I am

Gear has come long way. It’s a lot better than my skills but I’m happy and blessed to have it. Inspiring to play on, so I find I play more. So the skills are slowly catching up.

Love your avatar btw. Russian River is a great brewery, certainly one of the very best in the USA. Finally got to visit last year. No tours though because of the bug. I love breweries and was fortunate enough to work in one for 6 years.

Gear has come long way. It’s a lot better than my skills but I’m happy and blessed to have it. Inspiring to play on, so I find I play more. So the skills are slowly catching up.

Love your avatar btw. Russian River is a great brewery, certainly one of the very best in the USA. Finally got to visit last year. No tours though because of the bug. I love breweries and was fortunate enough to work in one for 6 years.
If you’re out East there’s a pub in Philly that usually has a ton of Russian River beers called Monk’s Cafe. You won’t find much Russian River beers East of Denver except for this place. From one beer snob to another: Cheers!!

Play with some people who are better than you. You'll get pulled into a new place.
That's how I, like others, began their musical journey. First, at an acoustic open-mic, then with the house band at better quality jams.

I think I treasure those times, but can't say that the bar scene was a good place for me. The acquaintances and friendships I made will remain with me forever, and the music will forever be a part of me, but I don't miss the late 1:30 AM closings and staying awake 'til 4:30 AM.

I've only one good friend who is far and above my playing level, but he plays music I am unfamiliar with...Django, Martin Taylor, Bill Frisell...and although I could learn a lot from him by jamming with him, the guy doesn't teach music or have the patience to teach. The best I could do is to just watch and observe, and ask him "How do you do that?" or "Could you teach me how to do what you're doing?"

Lessons are something beyond my pay grade. But every so often when open-mics are available, I've visited and sat in on a couple tunes of my choice. My goal is to provide charts for the house band so they can join in with me on whatever is suitable for the time.

Someday, my friend and I will get together on a couple tunes with which we can accompany each other. I think the practice/preparation is key in most walks of life, so it would be well worth the effort when times comes for jams.

If you’re out East there’s a pub in Philly that usually has a ton of Russian River beers called Monk’s Cafe. You won’t find much Russian River beers East of Denver except for this place. From one beer snob to another: Cheers!!

You’re lucky! Odd they distribute to PA. I’m in Reno NV so have to drive to CA to get their beers. I love that Monks Cafe Flemish Sour. Here’s a sideways pic of my stash. Cheers! DF3C8468-DC82-4779-B12E-4A1E6E38C4E4.jpeg

Rotate that shit, Bra!!! ;)

Haha! Might bust a bottle out today. Belated bday powwow for me. Kids coming over, smoking ribs, acoustic jam. These are hard to come by! But I have some duplicates, and others. We’ll see. I’m a big tightwad with my stash lol.

Gear is only an indicator of the money you're willing to spend. Nothing more. I remember on another forum, a newly retired officer bought a brand new les paul standard and marshall DSL? halfstack. A lot of "what are you doing?!" well they earned it and now they have time. Done.

Do I think I play as well as my gear suggest I do? No, and I'll say as much up front any day of the week. Fact is, I had the money and desire so I bought it.

Even if all I had was my squier affinity from the early 90's, someone else could still do more than me with just that guitar unplugged. It will always be the case. When I play my rig, I enjoy it. That makes it worth the money IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom