You ever feel like your gear is too good for you?

For some reason, I felt that the envy factor contributed to my feelings of inadequacy regards my chops. It really didn't sit well with me. I really didn't want much better guitarists watching how badly I'd play, even though a Private Stock made it seem worthwhile...had the guitar been my old Strat that I didn't mind so much...maybe...but the stuff I take care of and treat like a prized possession...nope.

Likewise with one of my buddies who treats his instruments well. Though someone I didn't know well from an open-mic or gig asking to play it? Mmm...No.
I remember one time I was looking at Tony Macalpine's guitar and he told me to go ahead and play it, I was like, whut? I of course gingerly and respectfully played it for just a bit. I forgot about that...

Also do you remember about 2 years ago or so someone stole Tony's gear when he was on a tour and they were asking publicly if anyone had a seven string in the area he could borrow. I would have loved to help him out in a circumstance like that... but do you loan your favorite?

I remember one time I was looking at Tony Macalpine's guitar and he told me to go ahead and play it, I was like, whut? I of course gingerly and respectfully played it for just a bit. I forgot about that...

Also do you remember about 2 years ago or so someone stole Tony's gear when he was on a tour and they were asking publicly if anyone had a seven string in the area he could borrow. I would have loved to help him out in a circumstance like that... but do you loan your favorite?
It's kind of a tough decision you have to make. If it were someone I knew well and trusted, there would be a better chance. I'm not sure even a celebrity who needed an instrument for his gig, I'd let him borrow my guitar.

An amp or effects board I'd have no problem with. The guitar is a more personal thing that has a greater risk of possible damage in someone else's hands. How does one tell someone, "No, I'm sorry," when they're supposedly in need? How do say no to people when they ask for money or try to take something from you that doesn't belong to them?

This is where sometimes it's wise to draw the line between legitimately providing for someone and letting people take things from you by persuasion or force. I guess the question we might need to ask is, "Do you buy everything people pitch to (or try to sell) you?"

As I said before, I'd likely not lend anyone the use of my car for any reason, but I might not have as much an issue with them driving it while I was in the passenger seat, if I couldn't drive. (Just thinking of possible scenarios where this might occur). For example, if someone needed to drive me somewhere for medical help, or or home, after a medical procedure, when I couldn't drive.

But to review, I think it would have to be someone I'd personally known for quite some time, where we've both been to each other's houses, known their families, their likes, dislikes, values, etc. My feeling is that trust is earned, and no one really knows just how someone else might react in any given situation unless they've been relatively close friends with them for more than a few years.

That being well established, my buddy who had purchased my PRS SE A60E earlier this year has played all 3 of my previously owned instruments, but really not thought much about my FM9 floorboard unit. His preference is to play cleanly, and seldom does he use overdrive or effects other than a touch of reverb. With that in mind, I hope to create a separate preset designed expressly for him, that honors his preferences, when he brings his 7 string electric-acoustic over for a jam. We've known each other since about 2006, and although he's a bit touched with the gift for the unusually and uniquely silly, I kind of chalk that up to good meds and a wife who loves him, despite the warts.

Hope this answers your question, but if it doesn't, I'll be here again tomorrow to follow up on any additional questions you may have...

This used to be my problem...I used to own several nice PRS Private Stocks back between 1998 and 2012....here's a sample of my dilemma...

DSMMSEj.jpg
r0d6gzK.jpg

Now the Fuchs I encouraged any one who wished to, to play through my amp and enjoy what they heard. The problem was with the Private Stock...it worried me that I had to keep watch over that guitar wherever it went...it really wasn't easy trying to enjoy an open-mic jam and need to use the men's room when the guitar was out of my sight! I was so worried that an ostentatious display of fortune would cause problems with the regular musicians, no one else laid hands on this guitar except myself and the person to whom it was eventually sold.

Last edited:
I kind of had the opposite thing going on for a while, where the gear I owned was limiting my ability to get the music in my head into audio form. Without getting into another endless “you’ve got to be born with it” discussion on talent, I learned very early on that if I applied myself appropriately, I could play what I wanted to and that’s how I ended up playing multiple instruments. The playing aspect of it was never really part of the equation, but getting the sounds I wanted certainly was.

Fractal, a couple guitars that were more versatile than what I owned, Logic Pro X and some VST’s pretty much resolved all those issues. Now the only thing I have to fight is myself to get off my damn couch after work and get in my studio.

Play with some people who are better than you. You'll get pulled into a new place.

So true - it's a rare treat to be in a band where you feel like you're the weakest player. Kind of like the one I played with tonight.

Did my 3rd gig with my FM9 tonight (Sunday). I also gigged it a couple nights ago on Friday as well with a different band. 2 (very) different bands, and different venues each night. Oddly enough, with the same sound man on both nights as it turned out. We were both surprised to run into each other again tonight.

It was also a rare opportunity to get some useful feedback on how my FM9 presets translated from one sound system to another between two very different venues/rooms, as well as bands.

The Friday gig was a 650 seat room - very large with a substantial (very good) house system. This was the first gig I'd done with my FM9 with this particular band - though they were accustomed to my AX8 presets. I received lots of positive comments from my band-mates about how I sounded on stage, as well as from the sound man. The sound man made it clear he was super happy with my sounds - cleans, leads, the whole package. He said he rolled off something (pretty sure it was low end) very slightly, otherwise he said he didn't touch the EQ and he ran my signal flat. Which I found somewhat validating. Things felt really good all night from where I was standing.

When we surprised each other tonight I mentioned I was using the same rig from Friday night. Again, band-mates and the sound guy were super positive and really liked my sounds (this was my 2nd outing with my FM9 with this band). This room was maybe a 145 to 160 seat room - fairly small and intimate, with a "decent" sound system. I asked the sound man how my rig sounded in the different room, with the different system, different band etc. He gave the FM9 very high marks and it's fair to say he was gushing about how good it sounded. It turned out he's a keyboard player. Which I found amusing (most sound personnel I regard as competent/good are also musicians in many cases). Anyway, it made me feel good about the hours I'd spent tweaking & learning this wonderful device. Once again, things felt really, really good from where I was standing (inspiring comes to mind).

Hats off to the Fractal crew for making such an incredible, inspiring rig. It's as deep as you want if you want to go deep, but it's also quite easy to get some really amazing sounds out of it without going "deep." The FM9 has already exceeded my expectations. Every time I start digging into another feature it happens again. And there are so many features I've yet to get to. I have to pace myself.

As I mentioned, this is one of the bands I'm in where I sometimes feel like I'm the weakest player - but right or wrong - my FM9 did kind of make me feel like a badass for a moment here & there. I'm sure that's the post gig adrenaline talking, but it's definitely been a great weekend of gigs with the FM9. It's a total pleasure to use and I felt a need to express some gratitude. Cheers & thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom