IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
I just noticed that the impedance curve in the Solo 100 amp block was still set to Solo 100 in my preset with the KW 412 M25. I've just switched to the Basketweave and it finally sounds like an amp, much more open and authentic.
So I have to revise my opinion of this cab, sorry Justin.

I have paid far too little attention to the impedance curve, I have to admit to my shame, but this opens up a new rabbit hole for me and unfortunately I am very sensitive to this and need to know all the possibilities. The difference in sound with the impedance curve is just as big as a cab change, I'm really amazed

Hence my question:
Is there the one correct impedance curve that you should just take and not think about it anymore, i.e. the one Justin always kindly recommends to us, or is it just as much a matter of taste as the choice of cab?

Last edited:
I just noticed that the impedance curve in the Solo 100 amp block was still set to Solo 100 in my preset with the KW 412 M25. I've just switched to the Basketweave and it finally sounds like an amp, much more open and authentic.
So I have to revise my opinion of this cab, sorry Justin.

I have paid far too little attention to the impedance curve, I have to admit to my shame, but this opens up a new rabbit hole for me and unfortunately I am very sensitive to this and need to know all the possibilities. The difference in sound with the impedance curve is just as big as a cab change, I'm really amazed

Hence my question:
Is there the one correct impedance curve that you should just take and not think about it anymore, i.e. the one Justin always kindly recommends to us, or is it just as much a matter of taste as the choice of cab?

There isn't any right or wrong with Speaker Impedance Curve choice, but to get closest to the real world, you'd want to choose whatever's closest to your IR of course. But there at least six SICs measured directly from Justin's cabinet that Cliff has included in firmware, so if you use any of the matching York Audio packs, you'd be as close to the real deal as possible:

Fractal measures most of them, but there are a couple third party contributors as well. Here are some curves that came from my cabs:

2x12 Recto
2x12 Godzilla
2x12 Class-A Greenback
2x12 Two Stone 1265
4x12 1960BV
4x12 Euro

I sent Cliff a Tweed Deluxe measurement awhile back, but I don't know if that one is included or not.

Is it normal that you have to turn down the bass on the kw cab, I had the feeling I had to do it or did I choose the wrong cab?

Is it normal that you have to turn down the bass on the kw cab, I had the feeling I had to do it or did I choose the wrong cab?
as earlier stated, there is no right or wrong. Every guitar is going to behave differently. In fact, IRL some guitars don't work well with certain amps and are muddy. Not only do you have the option of choosing different SICs but you can also manually manipulate the settings until it sounds right to you.

Here's a snapshot of a purchased preset and what they did to the SIC.

1715348847845.png

The cab just sounds like the cab, so dial in the amp however it sounds best with the cab. The amp might need low bass settings or high bass settings depending on the amp and IR you choose. It'll be different for everyone. Simply twist the knobs until you get the response you're wanting and always dial in your amp and cab without any drives, compressors, or effects. Get the straight amp and cab tone sounding great and everything else will fall into place. :)

My Gear:

PRS S2 custom 24
Choosed Amp Solo 100
Bass 2 Mid 5 Treble 5 Presence 5 Depth 0
These settings sound good for me, but when i use the
York 65 cream i have depth at 1 and bass at 4

Just wanted to know if this can be the case with the kw cab, so that I don't try to make a banana out of an apple

My Gear:

PRS S2 custom 24
Choosed Amp Solo 100
Bass 2 Mid 5 Treble 5 Presence 5 Depth 0
These settings sound good for me, but when i use the
York 65 cream i have depth at 1 and bass at 4

Just wanted to know if this can be the case with the kw cab, so that I don't try to make a banana out of an apple
Sure, those changes are fine. Every cab sounds different (as they should), so just tweak your amp for the cab and IR you're using. You might also want to try reducing the amount of low resonance in the speaker tab if you're getting too much low end. Your listening environment and source play a major role as well, so if you've got a lot of bass build up in your room or using headphones with a boosted low end, both of those things can give you a false sense of what your low end really sounds like.

Sure, those changes are fine. Every cab sounds different (as they should), so just tweak your amp for the cab and IR you're using. You might also want to try reducing the amount of low resonance in the speaker tab if you're getting too much low end. Your listening environment and source play a major role as well, so if you've got a lot of bass build up in your room or using headphones with a boosted low end, both of those things can give you a false sense of what your low end really sounds like.
Do you find yourself adjusting the low resonance control on the impedance curve in the speaker tab?

Do you find yourself adjusting the low resonance control on the impedance curve in the speaker tab?
Occasionally I'll tweak the low resonance frequency, but never adjust the amount of low resonance. I just choose an appropriate impedance curve, turn off speaker drive and speaker compression, and tweak the basic amp controls.

If someone is using a particularly dark sounding guitar, headphones, or is listening in an area with a lot of extra bass buildup, adjusting the the amount of low resonance can help... but the tone probably won't translate well when playing it through a different system.

Hi, I saw a discussion regarding length of the IR window at TGP and was wondering. York Audio's IRs are 500 ms, which are truncated to 170 ms in Axe FX when loading as ultrares. Would it be possible to load the un-truncated full 500 ms by loading the ir as fullres? I know fullres is typically used for capturing room mics (irs of >1000ms), but I'm wondering whether it can also be used for loading "regular" IRs (e.g. the 500 ms IRs from York Audio). Just interested, I don't think I would hear the difference. But according to Scott Henderson a truncated 500 ms IR is toast.

Hi, I saw a discussion regarding length of the IR window at TGP and was wondering. York Audio's IRs are 500 ms, which are truncated to 170 ms in Axe FX when loading as ultrares. Would it be possible to load the un-truncated full 500 ms by loading the ir as fullres? I know fullres is typically used for capturing room mics (irs of >1000ms), but I'm wondering whether it can also be used for loading "regular" IRs (e.g. the 500 ms IRs from York Audio). Just interested, I don't think I would hear the difference. But according to Scott Henderson a truncated 500 ms IR is toast.
Fractal's UltraRes (170ms) is plenty of time for a great image of the cab with close mics. You can put longer IRs in the FullRes bank, but I'd reserve those slots for room mics of any cabs you like to use.

I was the one to told Scott about the longer IRs sounding better than shorter ones. The "toast" IRs refer to files truncated down to 20-40ms.

Fractal's UltraRes (170ms) is plenty of time for a great image of the cab with close mics. You can put longer IRs in the FullRes bank, but I'd reserve those slots for room mics of any cabs you like to use.

I was the one to told Scott about the longer IRs sounding better than shorter ones. The "toast" IRs refer to files truncated down to 20-40ms.
Thanks for your response! I'll check later this week if I can load the full 500 ms via fullres (bit challenging as I have the non-turbo version of axe fx 3), and if I hear a difference (I already had a hard time earlier identifying whether I had properly loaded the full length of a fullres IRs).

Very cool btw that Scott finds the IR indistinguishable from the real miced cab and that the IR replaced the miced cab for his recording. Especially since this is often considered the weak spot in modelling.

I'd like to make a wish for more Creamback type cabs, maybe in a Marshall 2x12 or 4x12. Love that combination and we haven't got much in terms of Creamback besides the M65 YA pack. :D

Back
Top Bottom