IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
I may be in the minority here, but I’ve personally been really into the Shure KSM313 IR’s. I think its a really balanced mic and I love all the captures in any pack its been featured in. I actually prefer it for blending over the classic 121 sometimes, but that may be due to my preference for slightly brighter tones.

Cliff's favorite mic. That made my ears perk up, and I think the ones in Cab Lab 4 are awesome.

The M160 is one of the staple mics I’ll have in every pack along with a 57, 58, 421, 121, KM184, and U47. I went a little overboard with this first cab and have captured 13 mics (with four more I have on my list but probably don’t need).

Just curious if there are any other mics people really want me to include in these packs.
Soyuz 1973 please...

Would like to purchase some new IR packs during this black friday sale. What are your top 3 IR packs that you use the most?
Well 🤔what genre of music
What bands do you like ?
What irs do you use now most often
Mine 3 packs would be
Marshall MV30, York 212 Creamback M65, Fender Vibroverb

The M160 is one of the staple mics I’ll have in every pack along with a 57, 58, 421, 121, KM184, and U47. I went a little overboard with this first cab and have captured 13 mics (with four more I have on my list but probably don’t need).

Just curious if there are any other mics people really want me to include in these packs.
That's awesome. I've kind of become fond of the SM7. But the 57, 421, 160 and 121 are my go to's.

I was wondering (if you can talk about it), considering the time involved in creating Dyna-Cab's, can you create standard IR packs out of these as well?

Well 🤔what genre of music
What bands do you like ?
What irs do you use now most often
Mine 3 packs would be
Marshall MV30, York 212 Creamback M65, Fender Vibroverb
I play primarily progressive metal
Below are some sounds for reference..been chasing these tones for the past 2 years.. maybe one day I'll just have to accept that it's all in the fingers and not the gear. Hopefully with the right IR, it will put me maybe 1% closer------>

That's awesome. I've kind of become fond of the SM7. But the 57, 421, 160 and 121 are my go to's.

I was wondering (if you can talk about it), considering the time involved in creating Dyna-Cab's, can you create standard IR packs out of these as well?
Standard IR packs have to be made separately from DynaCabs. Different hardware and software are needed to create each type, and one type can’t be used to turn it into the other.

Beyerdynamic M88 for sure. I always loved pairing a SM57 with an old M88 in an AC30 for low to mid gain tones with a Tele or Jazzmaster. So yes, I would love to have proper M88 irs, there aren't many of them out there...

Beyerdynamic M88 for sure. I always loved pairing a SM57 with an old M88 in an AC30 for low to mid gain tones with a Tele or Jazzmaster. So yes, I would love to have proper M88 irs, there aren't many of them out there...
I’ve been using the Beyerdynamic M69 quite a bit lately, which is the more balanced (not as scooped) precursor to the M88. It’s a fantastic mic!

so will all new releases going forward be dynacab?
I’m still making standard IR packs with my current method in .wav format. The DynaCab platform is a different animal, but I plan on creating Mixes for those cabs as well… it’s just a different process than what I’m used to.

I’ve been using the Beyerdynamic M69 quite a bit lately, which is the more balanced (not as scooped) precursor to the M88. It’s a fantastic mic!
I never used the M69 but if I'm right it's a more midrange focused mic compared to the M88 having a deeper lowend. And I think this is the reason paires so well with a SM57. Both nice mics! I would still love to see the M88 in your next packs, I had an old one and it seems to be better than the new production.

I always take impedance curve measurements and send them to Cliff. It’s his call on which ones get added to the unit and which ones don’t. Personally, I’d love it if the Fractal could measure and store impedance curves in a user bank so that every DynaCab has a dedicated impedance curve.

Are speaker impedance curves really just the values you can dial in on the Speaker page, or are there extra parameters that Cliff has to program in somehow? What I'm getting at is, I wonder if, even if Cliff doesn't include a particular curve, if you could just provide the values that a user could dial in to a Fractal product to have the accurate match to that cab? Even if it's a bunch of parameters that would have to be keyed in by hand, I'd gladly do it for the accuracy!

Are speaker impedance curves really just the values you can dial in on the Speaker page, or are there extra parameters that Cliff has to program in somehow? What I'm getting at is, I wonder if, even if Cliff doesn't include a particular curve, if you could just provide the values that a user could dial in to a Fractal product to have the accurate match to that cab? Even if it's a bunch of parameters that would have to be keyed in by hand, I'd gladly do it for the accuracy!
The curves menu on the Axe gives us a few things to tweak and customize, but I think the actual measured curves are more complex than the EQ settings allow. Think about a speaker IR vs a 5-band parametric EQ that's approximating the curve.

Accurately matching impedance curves is a little more complicated than simply changing a couple parameters. Since the amp choice affects how the curve is seen (try different amp models through the same IC and you’ll see it change from model to model), it’s hard to manually pinpoint exact IC values.

I measure a cabinet’s speaker impedance curve and then compare it to what’s available in the SIC list to find the closest match after changing the low resonance frequency. I’ve been listing the low resonance frequency and suggested ICs in the manuals for my recent packs, but it’s more of a guideline than an absolute match.

My dream would be for the Axe to have the ability to measure a cab’s SIC and save it externally as a file (similar to a Fractal-made IR) that could be shared and stored as a User Impedance Curve. That would allow a more personalized and accurate experience without Cliff needing to manually process each new curve that requires a firmware update to use.

The curves menu on the Axe gives us a few things to tweak and customize, but I think the actual measured curves are more complex than the EQ settings allow. Think about a speaker IR vs a 5-band parametric EQ that's approximating the curve.

Accurately matching impedance curves is a little more complicated than simply changing a couple parameters. Since the amp choice affects how the curve is seen (try different amp models through the same IC and you’ll see it change from model to model), it’s hard to manually pinpoint exact IC values.

I measure a cabinet’s speaker impedance curve and then compare it to what’s available in the SIC list to find the closest match after changing the low resonance frequency. I’ve been listing the low resonance frequency and suggested ICs in the manuals for my recent packs, but it’s more of a guideline than an absolute match.

My dream would be for the Axe to have the ability to measure a cab’s SIC and save it externally as a file (similar to a Fractal-made IR) that could be shared and stored as a User Impedance Curve. That would allow a more personalized and accurate experience without Cliff needing to manually process each new curve that requires a firmware update to use.

Man, I didn't realize these things were dynamic in the sense that they change from model to model, so it really does come down to Cliff. Thanks you guys for the insight.

Back
Top Bottom