IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
I just released the York Audio 5153 412 VH20 Cab Pack based on a 2006 EVH 5150 III 4x12 cabinet loaded with the original Celestion G12EVH speakers. This thing is AWESOME!!! It has a big low end, woody midrange, and surprisingly smooth top end. It's actually great for both vintage Plexi tones and modern high gain chunky stuff. This cab has been requested a lot, and now I'm seeing why. I also got lucky and found an older one that had been played a lot. This cab is definitely staying in the room with me now.

Here's a little clip I made using the new Cygnus beta firmware with the PVH 6160 Block model and Mix 01 from the pack.

I hope you guys like it!

Yes!!!! I am on this like stink on 💩!!! Justin thanks man...Sounds massive. Can't wait for Cygnus to port to my FM3 to try it with the new PVH amp block. Testing on my real 5150 and my FM3 on 3.02 beta for now. Any reason the 414 didn't make the cut? I like blending that mic on the M20 pack.

Well done. Well done! 👍

I had a few minutes to try out this VH20 pack. It’s incredibly good. I’m not a metal guy, but I love Marshalls, and this pack works very well with Marshall style amps. Love it!

Yes!!!! I am on this like stink on 💩!!! Justin thanks man...Sounds massive. Can't wait for Cygnus to port to my FM3 to try it with the new PVH amp block. Testing on my real 5150 and my FM3 on 3.02 beta for now. Any reason the 414 didn't make the cut? I like blending that mic on the M20 pack.

Well done. Well done! 👍

Just A/B'd to the M20 pack and the EVH sounds punchy and clear on the typical 57+121 mixes. The top end just pushes out a bit more without the need of additional help like with the M20 if you're looking for more voice range. It has a good amount of thump without the bottom end boom. Justin, do you think this is more due to the newer V2 captured methods unlike the M20 or more the cabinet or both? Is the M20 going to be updated with a V2? It's still great but I am really digging this EVH pack alot and I haven't even gotten to the single mic captures yet to listen closely on them. Having fun with just the mixes at the moment. 👍

chug chug yeeooww!
Cygnus doesn’t play around. ;)

I have that exact cab sittin’ right in front of me with the matching EVH III 100 watt on top of it. I run all my Marshall tones to the effects returns of that amp and it’s the bees knees!! I will be buying this one for sure!
I think you’ll love the 5153 cab. There’s something very special about it, and my beta team came back with glowing reviews, so I’m very excited about this one and can’t wait to hear what everyone else thinks about it.

Well done. Well done! 👍
Hahahaha! Thanks man! To be honest, I didn’t even try the 414 on that cab. There were several mics that didn’t make the cut. I find that the 414 can get really cloudy in the low end and extra fizzy in the top end without EQ’ing it, so I went with the Neumann TLM 49 in its place to have something a bit more balanced and usable. If a mic needs a lot of EQ to sound good, it’s the wrong mic for the cab.

I had a few minutes to try out this VH20 pack. It’s incredibly good. I’m not a metal guy, but I love Marshalls, and this pack works very well with Marshall style amps. Love it!
I completely agree! I’m going to make some Plexi clips with it, but felt like using a 5150 head was an appropriate choice for the first clip. It really does sound like an older cab with vintage Greenbacks, and the low end makes it a great pairing with thinner sounding Plexi amps.

Just A/B'd to the M20 pack and the EVH sounds punchy and clear on the typical 57+121 mixes. The top end just pushes out a bit more without the need of additional help like with the M20 if you're looking for more voice range. It has a good amount of thump without the bottom end boom. Justin, do you think this is more due to the newer V2 captured methods unlike the M20 or more the cabinet or both? Is the M20 going to be updated with a V2? It's still great but I am really digging this EVH pack alot and I haven't even gotten to the single mic captures yet to listen closely on them. Having fun with just the mixes at the moment. 👍
I think several factors come into play on why the 5153 sounds so much better than the MRSH M20. The updated capture method plays a big role here, but I also think a large factor is that I only used the MRSH M20 cab on a single tour, so the speakers aren’t as broken in as they are in the 15 year old 5153 cab. The MRSH M20 will get the V2 treatment sometime in the future, but I have a lot of other great cabs and speakers I’d like to capture first.

What is the difference with the 20w greenbacks and an EVH speaker?
My last note in the post above talks about this. Technically, the EVH and the Heritage M20 Greenback are the same speaker but with different plastic covers on the back. If you’re talking about the differences in packs, the 5153 isn’t as sizzly as the M20 and has better midrange definition along with more mics, an updated capture method and honestly, a better sounding cabinet.

Bought VH20, loaded the Mix 01 and boom! Not sure if I'll even bother trying the others. :D
I felt the same way when I made the demo clip. I just used the PVH Block model and set the EQ knobs and Depth at 6 (presence at 0.30) and pulled up Mix 01... done. I didn’t even audition the other mixes when creating that tone. It just works. It also sounds pretty awesome with the Plexi 50w Jump model.

Since a lot of people has asked about this, here's a comparison clip of the 5153 vs MRSH M25 vs MRSH M20 with a Plexi. I used a single 57 capture for each that are all in roughly the same spot on the speaker. The performance was looped and only the cabinet was changed, so I'd probably dial things in a little different to suit each cab, but this gives you an idea of the sonic differences between the three. I listed the key below showing the cab used as well as my pickup selector position.

1. 5153 VH20 - bridge
2. MRSH M25 - bridge
3. MRSH M20 - bridge
4. 5153 VH20 - neck
5. MRSH M25 - neck
6. MRSH M20 - neck

The 5153 pack is great. I loaded up a few of my past favorites, and cycled thorough them. I was surprised to find myself liking the 5153 the most.

That’s a good question. I’m always experimenting and changing things up because each cab deserves its own treatment rather than a copy/paste approach. I think possible future V2 packs would be the MRSH M20, DXVB, ZILA, and maybe the MES TRAD.

+1 M20 V2
+1 BOGNA V2

And I agree, the YA 5153 pack does go well with Marshalls. I tried it with the 1959 JUMP model. Nice!

Still would love to see a well toured Peavey 5150 w/Sheffields. (had to get that in there) 😁

Hey Justin, Which of your cab packs are using the updated capture approach you call V2?

The only ones that are officially V2 are the MTCH 212 and the MES 412 OS, because those two officially replaced older cab packs with a Version 2. But as Justin was saying, it's really more of an iterative process where each pack is a learning experience and his process gets slightly more refined than the last. "The V2 Process" is really just "the updated process as it's shaped up around the v2 packs compared to the years old process the original versions used". For that reason, his more recent packs will be the ones using the more recent approach. This 5153, the ORNG, The FDMN, the T75 are all newer packs if my memory serves, plus the 2 V2 packs obviously.

Back
Top Bottom