Fixed XL Locking Up after Q7

steadystate

Fractal Fanatic
Four times now since installing Q7, my XL has locked up, twice with no sound, twice with an extremely loud and brittle version of the preset (not caused by the wah) that clips the outputs. I am sending it MIDI commands while it is connected to the latest Axe Edit. The unit must be turned off and on again to reset.

I have never experienced this before with any firmware, using the same setup and workflow.

When it happens, the Status LEDs on the front panel are all lit, and the input meters do not respond to signal (remain dark).

I am sending it only MIDI program changes and scene changes. Nothing else. It seems to occur at random and with random presets. I cannot replicate the problem with any specific preset.

Last edited:

If this can't be verified/fixed, I'll have to go back to 6. This would be disaster at a show.

Last edited:
Same here. Been playing for about 5 hours and must have rebooted the Axe at least 4 times.
Tried resetting systemparameters and reinnstalling FW..
XL here as well with nothing connected but monitors.

Same here. Been playing for about 5 hours and must have rebooted the Axe at least 4 times.
Tried resetting systemparameters and reinnstalling FW..
XL here as well with nothing connected but monitors.

Are you getting name timeout errors on the MFC or just the Axe crashing? Seems like all the issues with Q7.00 are with XL units.

Are you getting name timeout errors on the MFC or just the Axe crashing? Seems like all the issues with Q7.00 are with XL units.

My MFC is at the rehearsalspace so I have not tried that with Q7 yet.
Only my guitar plugged in and into a couple of Dynaudios.
Not sure if I should try yet another FW install, didn't Cliff say nothing could go wrong updating as long as there were no errormessages or something..?

Luckily I have an AX8 with Q6 that is stable because my XL can't be trusted at the moment.

Please provide as much detail as possible to reproduce the problem. What were you doing when the lockup happened? Always the same preset? Which amp model(s)? Etc. Until we can reproduce a problem we cannot fix it. Simply complaining does not help.

Hello all I had my Axe FX XL Lock-Up last night. I'm using a MacBook Pro(Sierra 10.12.3) and the Latest Axe Edit(3.13.0) with Quantum 7.0 and a Mastermind GT22...
I noticed a few things...
I installed 7.0 last week and had a 4 hour show Saturday Night with no issues with the Presets I was using...
Last night I was checking a different set of Presets for an upcoming U2 Tribute Gig and noticed that all my Linked Stereo Ultra Res Cabs were all Missing the Right Cab, they were all Blank...
I was fixing all the Presets last night with Axe Edit open and the Mastermind GT connected in Axe-Manage Presets and moved one Preset with Drag and Drop and it locked up.... Totally frozen... Scared the crap out of me...
I shut it down and it came right back on.... I've been home all day today and have had everything on for about 9 hours, playing, programming editing Presets with no issues...

Please provide as much detail as possible to reproduce the problem. What were you doing when the lockup happened? Always the same preset? Which amp model(s)? Etc. Until we can reproduce a problem we cannot fix it. Simply complaining does not help.

In my case, I'm not complaining, just trying to find solution. I have opened a support ticket but it was closed since no one could reproduce it. I have 2 XLs, the older one works fine so far, the newer one has name time outs left & right. All I have to do is change presets with the MFC MKII,fw 3.08. Both XLs have the exact same presets, using the same MFC & the same cables. (I have tried 3 different cables with the same results. New one times out, old one is fine). It never happens on the same preset. I should also add that there is no computer connected, no Axe Edit. Just guitar, MFC, XL & speakers.Thanks for looking into this!

Last edited:
For me it happens at random when I scroll through presets on the Axe itself. (No Axe edit connected)
Never on the same presets.
Freezes up and no sound, that is as detailed as I can get...

My lockups seem to happen on preset changes. No particular preset, but they may have had the Plexi 1987x in common, as I use that model extensively. When it locks on preset load and I reboot, I can load that same preset without issue.

As stated earlier, the status LEDs are all lit and the meter LEDs are dark, even with input signal. Sometimes the audio is muted, other times it is extremely loud, clipping the output LEDs and producing extremely harsh distortion. I would be happy to provide as much specific information as possible.

In my case, I'm not complaining, just trying to find solution. I have opened a support ticket but it was closed since no one could reproduce it. I have 2 XLs, the older one works fine so far, the newer one has name time outs left & right. All I have to do is change presets with the MFC MKII,fw 3.08. Both XLs have the exact same presets, using the same MFC & the same cables. (I have tried 3 different cables with the same results. New one times out, old one is fine). It never happens on the same preset. Thanks for looking into this!

Interesting that you mention the older and newer XL units. I've had no problems at all with my XL on 7.0 so far, but mine is almost 3 years old. Perhaps there's something slightly different about the later XL units that's involved.

If this can't be verified/fixed, I'll have to go back to 6. This would be disaster at a show.
I have a run of shows starting this weekend, and since tonight is my last night before gear handoff, I decided that to be on the safe side, I'd go back to FW Q6. It was super easy to go back to the earlier FW, but I'd spent a bunch of time tweaking my presets since the FW Q7 upgrade. After downgrading to FW Q6, all of my show presets were gone, except for one that I hadn't changed after going to FW Q7. I suspect my changed presets weren't compatible with the earlier firmware version. Good thing I keep backups of everything! I was able to restore all my show presets from a recent backup, and all is good. I just ran through everything in the set, and it's all good. Pretty scary for a moment! Back up often, my friends.

Last edited:
I backed up everything before going from 6 to 7, so I can restore everything to 6 as it was two days ago. Not a big deal. Once things are ironed out, I'll reap the benefits of my work already done with 7.

XL here.

Crashes occur mostly when switching presets using the front panel buttons, with nothing else connected. Sometimes after basic editing on Layout page (editing Amp; going through scenes; engaging/bypassing blocks). Once it crashed when storing a preset.

I have had the loud high-pitched beep happen once in the past days, that was with Axe-Edit connected. But this has happened before Q7 also, when managing presets in AE, although very rare.

As I'm going through my collection of simple amp+cab presets, it seems to happen most AFTER switching from a preset that has not yet been re-saved under Quantum 7 (final). So it involves multiple amp models (if it's related to amp modeling). These presets use factory cabs only, including the new ones in Q7. I'm not using Global Blocks in these presets.

In my main presets I use Global blocks, just two amp models, and I haven't experienced crashes with those.

System settings are default, except for Spillover (Both), Scene Revert (On), Tuner (Mute In), Quick-Jump Y (Cab 1), A/D Input Level, Force Default Modeling (Off).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom