XL+ Becoming Obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, do You guys remember, oh no the axe fx III won’t come in the near future, and we have enough DSP... and so on? I agree my XL sounds great, but that just won’t stop me to gassing for the III, maybe just because it exists. And my XL will lose it’s resale price (upgraded from a mark I), oh digital world...
Be honest guys, our hearts are aching.
:oops:

The resale value will be less but the way I look at it I think of all the amps, pedals, repairs, tube replacement, etc. I spend money on in two years not to mention the time I've spent using the Axe2 versus it's resale value and the difference in cost of a new Axe3 and it's no comparison. I still end up saving money.

Keep yourself together man and toughen up. You do what you did when you had an "Ultra". So now it's time to get out and sell that other kidney!

Couldn't be better timing either, i might be looking for a kidney, who knew there was a bargain bin for those things at the local guitar shops around NAMM time :D

Come join me with my Ultra in Obsoleteland!

Oh how many times people have told me my ultra sucks because it is no longer "relavent".... I have always said how can good tone be obsolete?!?! But they persist that is legacy, obsolete, and just not worthy anymore....

Maybe now I will update to a II lol.

I'm pretty sure Fractal will take care of the Axe-II Legacy users. Just as it has done in the past with the original, and Ultra. As to what that entails, concerning the Axe-II? I don't know, but I'd assume, at the least, there will be updates to finish off any missed bugs that inevitably show up now and then in software based systems. Plus Cliff has been known to have Legacy related epiphanies.

I remember that exacly at the same day they announced the Axe-Fx II, the last firmware for the Original/Ultra was released.
We'll see if history repeats itself ;)

Oh how many times people have told me my ultra sucks because it is no longer "relavent".... I have always said how can good tone be obsolete?!?! But they persist that is legacy, obsolete, and just not worthy anymore....

Kinda my thoughts too...I'm mainly getting the 3 for the features and to be ready for whatever they're going to do with all that processing power. The 2 was supported for 7 years with many updates and I only got my XL+ a couple of years ago. I'm already fully satisfied with the tone. If it gets better somehow, that's gravy. I'm all about the new features and capabilities with this upgrade. I plan to ride the 3 out for the next decade give or take a year or two.

Hello everybody.my name is Thanos.i bought an axe fx II xl plus 3 days ago.today I go online and I see the new axe III.i think I am gonna have a heart attack.

Hey... to all the II, IIXL and II XL+ users who are still rockin' and or new to it (like me)...

Unless you're going to punt for a 3 right now, let's keep this alive and kicking. I use mine daily at home and about once a month for gigs (facebook.com/stonetempleposers) and want to keep getting better at it. This forum has been vital to navigating the possibilities of tone. I would like to keep collaborating with YOU. I'll start by sharing a preset of a dual amp setup I've been playing on a LOT lately. I hope you like it and/or share something too.

I was referring to the Standard/Ultra.
Dude. The 1's FW updates stopped cold right after the II was released. Cliff did one last release with whatever improvements he could get in on the power amp modeling, called it '11' and stuck a fork in the 1's. Software support continued for a while. I wish AE was still supported for the legacy units.

The 1's were maxed in terms of FW storage, IIRC. I had bought an Ultra shortly before. It was pretty painful waiting it out to upgrade listening to all the II owners gush for a couple of years. Not going to sugar coat it.

That said, years later after having a II for a long time now, when I fire up my Ultra my first thought is almost always "Man this thing still rips!", so it is all a matter of perspective. :D If they weren't Digital, the first series would be vintage and people would be claiming they sound 'better', you just have to find a 'good' one.

Last edited:
I've sold off and upgraded after each new announcement.

I find the resale prices of used Fractal's to be higher than most gear. My expectations for used gear, if not rare or vintage and rare, is 50% or less of original retail. I've beat that every time with Fractal re-sale.

That having been said, it wouldn't be the FAS forum without nashing when new gear is announced. It's all part of being a gear head.

Fender hasn't upgraded my 64 Super Reverb in a long time... since 64. :) It still sounds good. The Axe FX II sounds are still going to be good the day after the III hits the stage. Even when no more updates come, it'll remain a solid performer.

I just love the new toys. I don't need all the AX8 or XL+ can do. But, man, do I love running around in the big pasture anyway. The III's going to be a blast!

What will happen to us XL+ owners?
I surely hope that we won't be left behind the III machine.

Becoming.... yes, a new model.
Obolete... no

The FX 2+.. is so far over my head.. not obtainable though..lol. time... I can't see myself getting the 3.
But I can't play cassette tapes when thier CD's out there with better clarity. Clarity that is not maybe so important to your ear, but more so in recording quality. So we'll look at the 3..from a distance..lol

But Fractal history... many folks always will follow up with the newest version...in time... after I buy a few more guitars that are expensive now day's. Chasing the custom craze

+1 - good is good.

I blew 1k$ last summer on an eventide H9 + Nemesis Delay so I could run my Axe II mk 1 at full core tone quality without redlining cpu% (Hirez cab, 2 amps, HQ reverb, 2 drives, studio comp). My strategy worked out well as I've been happy with these pedals in the loop (though integrating them in with midi to behave like AxeFx blocks was a challenge), but, obviously, in hind site, I should have waited and put that $ toward an Axe III. That's progress. Anybody want to buy and H9+ Nemesis delay?

Its funny. I bought Ultra right after the ll announced from a formite wanting to get in the list for the ll. The reason I say this is simply to say, yes all the talk of the 2 amps and cabs have made it a challenge BUT whenever I flick the switch to the ultra l always find myself saying, "the ultra freaking rocks". And the cash I saved went into other things including stuff for the family.

To all with the ll and plan on keeping it. Stop worrying. It kicked ass last week and it will kick ass in 2020!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom