XL+ Becoming Obsolete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It actually does sound a little better. The extra DSP horsepower means that we didn't have to make compromises in some of the algorithms. The amp modeling algorithm is very similar but there's a few places on the II where we had to make compromises to get the algorithm to run within the allotted time.

Also the III has a higher internal oversampling rate and a higher bit depth on some calculations (64-bit vs. 40-bit).
Thanks for this honest answer, Cliff......you know how catch a customer......:D

This is interesting. Are you referring to epiphanies with the standard/ultra or when cliff was able to keep updating the II along with the XL? Thanks!

I was referring to the Standard/Ultra.

As a non-XL Axe II owner, I'm pretty sure the II, and the XL have the same processing architectures. More memory, and a few expanded I/O options, but the same overall programming, so the advancements were pretty much the same. Or more precisely, an epiphany in one was basically the same in the other.

When the II first shipped and they'd sold out the last Ultra\Standard stock, that was that. Updates only for the II from then on.

One difference this time around is that AX8 is still a current product. I would think the AX8 might still get some love in the form of updates, new models or features. In which case, the II could get them too, and that could continue until the AX8 gets obsoleted as well.

Regardless I would expect the main focus to be on AXE-III now, as I'm sure it has been for a long time at FAS.

I have an original Axe FXII. 9.04 and the firmware sounds so good that if there were no more updates I'd be happy with it. So I don't think the XL+ or the original Axe FX II will become obsolete. They sound great. I will be keeping and using my original Axe FXII. I will be buying the Axe FXIII though. "The Axe-Fx II series received no fewer than 29 major (and dozens of minor) firmware upgrades over its life cycle." I have witnessed Fractals commitment to perfection over the years. The Axe FX has gotten better and better. I trust the company and the man behind it. Looking forward to the Axe FXIII.

I believe that there will continue to be updates to Axe II/XL* line. Certainly extra amps, bugs, etc. But in time, like the Ultra/Standard in it's day, there will be a future where it will be done. I don't expect that to happen soon.

My guess is that any improvements they make in the III they will look to see if they can be incorporated into earlier Models. So, *in theory*, we'll still see updates.

No, I have no specialized knowledge of these things. But Fractal has never left customers out in the cold.

Related question: Is the II even being discontinued? As of today the II XL+ is still in stock at a significantly lower price than the III.

Apple sells older iPhones at lower price points. As long as they can still get the parts, why not keep the II active? At least as long as the AX8 is active?

The axe fx 2 isn’t even close to being obsolete.
5 years time maybe but you would still have everything you have today just in a “old looking” box.

I think my XL+ just became obsolete. As soon as I read the announcement for the III, my XL+ started sounding like a continous fart. :eek:
If it makes you feel better my first Fractal product and axe fx 2 xl + just shipped this morning prior to the announcement. I am going to take the 15 days to ponder.

As a kudos to FAS they offered to pull it off the loading dock and save me the shipping. Due to their service I am going to take the II and unless I learn something completely new over the next 15 days I will keep it.

@FractalAudio Are you going to still continue to sell the xl+ to compete with kempers price point? That sounds like a Bill Belichick/Tom Brady great strategy to me. ;) I’m just wondering if us Mark II users will still see some of your epiphanies? 9.04 is my favorite firmware and we appreciate the hard work.

But, do You guys remember, oh no the axe fx III won’t come in the near future, and we have enough DSP... and so on? I agree my XL sounds great, but that just won’t stop me to gassing for the III, maybe just because it exists. And my XL will lose it’s resale price (upgraded from a mark I), oh digital world...
Be honest guys, our hearts are aching.
:oops:

I have no regrets on buying the XL+. I think its only been about a year since I upgraded from the AX8. The III addresses all the things that were frustrating me so I for one am happy to sell off the XL+ for a loss and buy the 3.

The AxeFX will never be truly obsolete , in the same way that a 1967 Porsche or 50year old KlipschHorns will never be....classic is classic

When someone says " obsolete " - I think , well no, it really can never be obsolete. Is a Fender Twin or Marshal SLP ever obsolete? We're talking about amps that are 50 or 60 + years old and people are still chasing the tone they make. As Axe owners, we have that - plus 200+ other amps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom