XFormer. Quick question.

Clockwork Creep

Power User
Are the Xformer settings in the speaker page actually speaker dependant (That is, Should change, dependant on what speaker is connected), or are they static?...

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching this, but am pretty sure it is static.

I think that there is a wish by someone for IRs/Cabs to store the speaker info (via some form of metadata or similar) so the Amp's speaker page would update dependant on which IR was selected.

This text is quite technical, and English isn't my first language.
But, as I understood from this: Speakers vary, so with different speakers the same transformer can be overmatched or undermatched. The difference between Overmatching andundermatching is the amount of distortion on the low end resonance and the high end boost.
Axe has no idea what speaker is connected, therefore it doesn't know whether the particular transformer has to be overmatched or undermatched.

Therefore, the user has to dial in the Xformer settings himself, to get authentic results.

Did I get it right?

That's the same as my understanding of it. I'd love to see an advanced video that digs into the logic of the XFormer settings when changing cabs in the Cab block. It's not something that your typical guitarist would normally come across with his real amp/cab, so my experience is very new with those parameters on the Axe FX. I normally get around them by fishing for a cab that sounds good and leaving those settings as stock, however I know they can make a big difference but just don't really understand them properly yet.

Speakers and tubes will affect the transformer match I suppose. I always figured this control was to control the reflected impedance of the speaker load, but rather than being given an ohms impedance or turns ratio, we’re just given a number.

Like if you wanted to simulate a 16 ohm cab attached to the 8 ohm tap, or 4 ohm cab attached to the 8 ohm tap, you could adjust this control.

I think this is also one of the things you should change if you want to swap tube types in the axe FX. I’m just going off memory now, but I think it was said at some point that when you change tube types in the axe FX, some other settings change automatically that would not, were you to (for example) put EL34’s into a 6L6 amp in real life. At least from what I remember, I think the transformer specs in the model change to match the ‘ideal’ impedance for that selected tube type. Someone please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

So for example, say a pair EL34’s want a reflected impedance of 2.5k to 3.5k, whereas a pair of 6L6’s want 4.5k to 5.5k. Let’s assume you’re using a 6L6-based amp model and it is modelled with a 5k primary on the output transformer. My understanding is that if you flip to EL34’s in the model, the ‘virtual output transformer’ primary impedance then changes to the correct impedance for EL34’s (say, around 3k).

Obviously in a real tube amp, the primary reflected impedance remains the same at 5k, and the EL34’s get to work with this impedance. So to simulate swapping tubes without an OT swap we would need to adjust Xformer Match.

Again this is just what I’ve picked up from reading the forum over the years, unfortunately it is difficult to find all these random little tidbits. And things do change, sometimes significantly, when firmware is updated so maybe the behaviour has changed.

This is a good video breaking down how output transformers function.

iRs don’t contain impedance information. That makes the Amp block the natural place to put impedance-related controls, because the Amp is what reacts to speaker impedance.

But, as I understood from this: Speakers vary, so with different speakers the same transformer can be overmatched or undermatched. The difference between Overmatching andundermatching is the amount of distortion on the low end resonance and the high end boost.
Axe has no idea what speaker is connected, therefore it doesn't know whether the particular transformer has to be overmatched or undermatched.

Therefore, the user has to dial in the Xformer settings himself, to get authentic results.

Did I get it right?
Yes. My understanding, breaking it down to terms I can better relate to, it's like a bias control. Having the ability to make the amp as efficient as possible.

I don't know about chasing 'authenticity', maybe just a way to get an amp, going out on a limb here, to sound the way it should sound. From reading the post, it would seem some amps could sound different if not for the 'mismatch'.

For me this is simply another tone shaping tool in the toolbox. The threads by @FractalAudio teach us what the tools are, what their purposes are, how to use them and recognize how they affect the tone.

Did I get it right?

I think the setting is related more about how under/over matched transformers affect the performance of the power amp tubes. So while the actual physical nature of what's "undermatched" or "overmatched" (and by how much) is going to depend on the actual speakers used, this control puts that aside and deals only with the effect of having under/over matched transformers.

My understanding is that it purely deals with the impact backwards on the signal chain, to the power amp section, and it will not impact or interact with the performance of the IR block.

Back
Top Bottom