X2 - front or rear input?

Benkenove

Hi guys,

I know this was discussed in the ol dforum but I still have the doubt...

I also know this that Cliff said himself:

The rear input is a buffered line-level input designed for use with line-level devices (i.e. preamp, mixer, etc.).
The front input is designed specifically for use with an electric guitar (or bass) and has additional gain and conditioning. You must set the I/O config Input Source to match the input you're using.
You can use the rear input with a guitar but you might not get enough gain.
CC

But my doubt is... if I plug the X2 wireless output to the rear input... will I notice a "lack" of the gain that the front input has ??? or would be still better to send it to the front input ???

P.S. I ask this because I'm now routing and cabling all my rig, and I dont have the transmitters here, only the rack... so I cannot actually try them both and compare them... any advise would be really appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Ben.

always front.

i have 2 inputs on the back panel interface to my rack, one goes to the x2 the other into the front of the axe.. i connect the 2 with a little cable when i use my wireless, when i'm not using it, i just unplug the little cable and plug into the one that goes to the axe.

I always use the front input with my X2. One of the reasons they work as well as they do is they were designed to give a correct impedance to your guitar on the transmitter and a correct view to the amp from the receiver.

The X2 is designed to output exactly what is input (unity gain), so it is exactly the same as plugging your guitar directly into the unit.

Therefore, use the front input. ;)

I've never been able to find an answer to this:

Is plugging into the back with the 'input option' set to 'front' the same as plugging into the front input when the input option is set to 'front?'

stevehollx said:
I've never been able to find an answer to this:

Is plugging into the back with the 'input option' set to 'front' the same as plugging into the front input when the input option is set to 'front?'
No. The front input has separate and different physical circuitry than the rear inputs. Rear input is designed to handle line-level signals, whereas front input is configured to handle both instrument-level signals as well as being able to handle boost & drive pedals like an amp would.

I've been using the rear input for ages with great results as its just easier using a short patch cable from my X2 into the rear input on the Axe (also change it to 'rear input' in the I/O). Will the difference be THAT noticeable if i start plugging into the front????

I use two X2's. One for mag, one for Piezo. Both go to rear inputs. Input selector is set to Rear. Adjust input levels on front accordingly.

This is a somewhat related, somewhat not, question.
The front input gives you that "special sauce", as opposed to the rear input which does not.
But what if I'm reamping, namely I record the clean signal by going guitar>Axe front>audio interface and then I want to feed this recorded track back into the Axe, like audio interface>Axe (front|rear)>audio interface? More explicitely, should I use, in the reamping phase, the front input (cause no "special sauce" has been added in the first phase) or the rear one (since the "special sause" is given by physical circuitry and always applied)?
Thanks everybody

Simone

Back
Top Bottom