X/Y - the decoder ring?

plyall

Power User
Chris and other Forum mentors -

I have watched your useful and very educational videos on YouTube, and have noted that you have a IA switch labled 'X/Y' on your MFC-101. Now, I do know that there are individual commands for AMP X/Y, CAB X/Y, etc., but didn't think there was a global X/Y available...

Can you (all) comment on why this is possible (or not)?

Thanks!

there is no global X/Y.

if you are referring to the magnetic label i placed on my MFC, it simply says "X/Y" but I had that switch assigned to the AMP1 XY function.

Yup Chris - that's what I was looking at. I wonder if it would be possible with either a combination of IA's to send something like DLY1 ON and Y ON (two to taps), or even to program the X/Y switch with a complete set of controllers to flip all blocks to their Y state (acknowledged - made somewhat redundant by scenes) ... ?

Yes, it's definitely possible to have a switch do multiple things with one press. As for switching all blocks between X and Y with one stomp, I'm thinking that wouldn't be very useful, unless you had a preset where every block had to change when you changed one of them. And as you pointed out, scenes can already do that.

Set the MFC IA to an Block, you be sure, it`s on every preset, like the Amp1 Block. Look into your Axe-Fx, which Controller Number the Axe-Fx "Amp1 X/Y " is set. If you now set THIS Number to any other X/Y Blocks (or all), a hit on the MFC IA will switch ALL Blocks from X to Y, which correspondent to the SAME #CC Number.

Note: The IA Switch on the MFC will only work in MFC "Axe-Fx Mode=ON", if the FX Block, which is set on the MFC to this X/Y IA Switch is also included in the Axe-Fx Preset! So, in our example: If the Amp1 Block would be missed in the preset, but other Blocks with the same #CC as Amp1 will NOT correspondent any longer to the IA, because the IA think: No Amp1 - i`m out ...

That the IA switch do NOT think to be "out" of funtionality, you could set this dedicated IA Switch to "Axe-Fx NONE" instead of AMP1 X/Y. Now the IA would react like a third Party controller will do: As Master who Slaves the Axe-Fx. Now you can programm the #CC Number directly into the MFC and the MFC don`t look any longer, if there is the "right" correspondending FX Block in the preset to sent and receive #CC Number (and therefore X/Y state). In the "Axe-Fx NONE" mode, the MFC sent always the command out. The price for that: The switch in "Master Mode" cannot be slaved by the Axe-Fx any longer: Receive informations about state change when Scenes change (for example) will not longer work.

In short: Yes, you can setup a IA Switch as a "global" X/Y Switch. "global" = all Blocks who are setup to the same #CC Number in the MIDI:CTRL menu of the Axe-Fx - the #number who is prgorammed n the MFC to that switch (or the correspondending fx block x/y)

Last edited:
In short: Yes, you can setup a IA Switch as a "global" X/Y Switch. "global" = all Blocks who are setup to the same #CC Number in the MIDI:CTRL menu of the Axe-Fx - the #number who is prgorammed n the MFC to that switch (or the correspondending fx block x/y)
This will work, but there is a cost. When you set up your Axe-Fx this way, you give up the ability to toggle just one block's X/Y value. You have to know that you'll only want to toggle them all at once.

Back
Top Bottom