Wow, an amazing new MIDI controller - Tone Shifter 3

Hi, I just try to introduce something a MIDI controller very very interesting. Looks compact, easy-to-use and reliable. There is more about this device on facebook and kickstarter website. I'm just really existed by what the functions provided by this Tone Shifter 3.

Basicly it is a MIDI controller + sound interface. I think there is no need to look too much about the sound interface using iOS software as you already have the AXE FX2, unless some times you think it is too heavy for moving FX2. So I want to focus on its MIDI controller. It has something call HOST mode and switching mode design, which make the using is very simple and less settings. The HOST mode just be selected to match the host you want to use. For AXE FX2, there are several HOSTs can be used, such as the "General" mode HOST. That all the 99 tones are arraged by BANKs of every four tone 1 2 3 4 / 5 6 7 8 / 9 10 11 12/ .... Also if using in "Learn" mode HOST, the MIDI commands could be read by FX2 and assigned to switch the effect unit ON/OFF as you want.

Just catch some pictures below from the manual.

Sorry I think I'm too young here to load any image or attachment .-_-.

Last edited:
This product has been reported by Musicradar and now can pre-order in Kickstarter.com. If you are interesting about it, support us and enjoy the super early bird special.

This actually looks really cool. I'd use along side my axe fx controller but would be a backup controller too. Is there a way to have this unit read patches from a program like mainstage? Or are you able to edit the patch names with a computer editor? Thanks

This is a Kickstarter backing / pre-order request. The device is not available yet.
Not sure if this belongs on this forum.

I looked it up. I've trouble finding out what it really does. There's a Neil Zaza video where he plays and talks but doesn't explain the device at all...

Is it a preset switching device that links to iPads, computers and Axe-Fx to get its sounds from??

The bad English in the video from the designer on the Kickstarter page doesn't really help.

Also, lot of hype ("lots of famous guitar players already use this"). I doubt that this is true.

Yea I noticed its a kickstarter and all. I'd rather pay more once its available. I still like the features it has as far as combining foot controller and interface together.

Yea I noticed its a kickstarter and all. I'd rather pay more once its available. I still like the features it has as far as combining foot controller and interface together.
Hi There, we have some sample in hands. As you know, we have pass CE and some other qualification before we sell it out of China. That's why we first launch our product in Kickstarter.com.

We will ship our first batch in March. Support us and we will delivery it by then. Thank you.

Sorry for the feeling that the kickstarter video brings to you. But the product is truely great and promising. Lots of guitarist including Neil are truly interested in it and using it soon after get well understanding about it. The following Youtube video should be able to tell you more details about the part of MIDI controller. Just search 'Tone Shifter work as MIDI controller with AXE FX ' in Youtube.com.

The HOST modes are just meant to matching the display of TS3 to the HOST you controlled. So in the video you can see the pitch can start from 00 like 00, 01, 02, 03 as the first BANK. Or can be 01, 02, 03, 04 or 01a, 01b, 01c, 01d as well. Just by selecting HOST mode with press hold + down arrow key. This HOST mode can be remmemberred, when you power the device next time and don't need to set again.

There is also some HOST mode you can send MIDI parameters to be learned by your HOST and then be assigned to the action you want. This is also according to the functions provided by the HOST. The TS3 commands cann't be edited with GUI in computer.

The B/D/P mode is already explained in the manual which you can find on the "update" in kickstarter links.

There is no any cheating or exaggerating on all the things provided. It is already sold at small batch in China for more than one year. Many orders are just coming from AXE users. No single return or unsatisfied feedback from end customer so far. Just give an example on how the quality is garanteed. The power supply jack P1 and P2 are compatible to most adapters that can plug into, no matter AC or DC, any polarities of DC, voltage range from 7V to 18V, current range > 60mA. So that means you can hardly break down it even you put something wrong into it.

This is a Kickstarter backing / pre-order request. The device is not available yet.
Not sure if this belongs on this forum.

I looked it up. I've trouble finding out what it really does. There's a Neil Zaza video where he plays and talks but doesn't explain the device at all...

Is it a preset switching device that links to iPads, computers and Axe-Fx to get its sounds from??

The bad English in the video from the designer on the Kickstarter page doesn't really help.

Also, lot of hype ("lots of famous guitar players already use this"). I doubt that this is true.

It looks like it's the same size as my Peak FCB42N, but the Peak can access more presets and the Peak can also send CC's on preset changes. Seems like there are plenty smaller midi boards out there than can be used for simple preset switching with the Axe FX rack units and if the extra features aren't needed, I'm not sure what the point would be for Fractal users?
-
Austin

Last edited:
i'm sorry to say this isn't an "amazing" midi controller for the axe-fx. it really can barely do anything for the axe-fx. it can choose presets in banks of 4, but only 96 total (out of 768). it can also go up/down one at a time. it can't access scenes, turn on/off individual effects, and none of the knobs will control volume of the axe, nor can you use an expression pedal. the B/D/P mode is basically the Bank Style option of the MFC - change presets instantly upon bank increase, or wait till you press the button. i would not call this a midi controller, i'd call it a limited preset selector.

what it can do though is function as an audio interface for Mobile sound apps, providing the I/O for getting your guitar or mic to the phone app. it seems to also control certain apps via midi, so switching presets or effects in Bias, for example. if you've seen the iRig and iRig blueboard, this is basically both of those combined into one, connecting via USB/Lightning. unfortunately once you do that, you can no longer charge your mobile device, so hopefully your battery lasts the entire gig.

i don't think it's a good idea to market this product as a midi controller for gear like the axe-fx, kemper, or pod. it really doesn't do anything for those except change a limited amount of presets. many of these customers will be very angry when they buy this product that is supposed to "perfectly control" the axe-fx or kemper, and find out it can only change presets. those with an Axe-Fx II XL can plug in 2 $20 pedals and perform the P function of the tone shifter 3.

i would spend the time more heavily marketing toward the iOS musicians and people who use BIAS or other programs like it. your product has many features for those customers.

i would spend the time more heavily marketing toward the iOS musicians and people who use BIAS or other programs like it. your product has many features for those customers.

Oh he is. They've spammed this same post all across the web on various gear forums, and somehow scored a NAMM mention and a press release in PG. All this despite not having an English-speaking copywriter.

Back
Top Bottom