Would really appreciate some help with 4cm prob

andyp13

Power User
I'm using a Boogie MKV using clean channel only, with a 4cm setup.
I have a slight distortion on my sound, and am spending a bit of time today to see if I can get it sorted out.
I have unplugged the send/return lines and am at the moment working on the 'front end' signal. Outputs 1&2 full up (unity)
It is considerably quieter with the guitar into the Axe compared to direct so I need to increase the level in the Axefx by about +12db. As far as I see it I have two choices 1. The input+gate level or the FXloop (main level).
Is there a particular one I should use? I have noticed a dramatic change of sound with my drive block engaged...
If I increase the input+gate by +12db the drive (bb) is quite soft and spongy feel.
If I leave the input/gate to 0 and increase the FXLoop by +12db the drive has a massive midrange boost and a little honky.

Is there one I should use over the other? Or is it just a question of taste etc etc...

Hope someone can help.

Make sure you use Humbuster cables. Check out my signature- I had the same issue until I had Humbuster cables made. It's that simple I bet.

I use the 4CM and know if you turn the threshold of the gate up too high in the loop it distorts and sounds like balls. I have never had to adjust any levels of anything. Outputs all the way up and running through my EVH and it sounds pretty amazing.

Also my gate was set at BLOCK L+R that caused all sorts of weird distortion. Turned it to Input 1 and it was all fixed up.

Make sure you use Humbuster cables. Check out my signature- I had the same issue until I had Humbuster cables made. It's that simple I bet.

I have not used humbuster cables as I am not getting any hiss. So is there still a need to use them?
I have my input/gate set at +6db and my FXloop also at +6db and my output at +13db it sounds ok at home, I won't really know if it's ok until I do a gig.
I have also noticed that the Vol/pan block has left & right controls, should I leave them s they are? If I pan the right to the left it does boost the volume slightly and also adds a little more depth to the sound, but it will also probably screw my settings up

I have not used humbuster cables as I am not getting any hiss. So is there still a need to use them?
I have my input/gate set at +6db and my FXloop also at +6db and my output at +13db it sounds ok at home, I won't really know if it's ok until I do a gig.
I have also noticed that the Vol/pan block has left & right controls, should I leave them s they are? If I pan the right to the left it does boost the volume slightly and also adds a little more depth to the sound, but it will also probably screw my settings up

humbusters will not remove hiss, they will only remove ground loop hum.

They are both set to 0.0% minimum, should I be adjusting these instead?

Those are the input levels not input mode. Input mode is under the Audio tab of the IO menu.

But the input levels of instr input and input 2 should probably not be at minimum. You need to adjust the levels of the instr input until your hardest strumming just tickles the red on the input meters and turn input 2 (with loop on) up so you get into the yellow but not hit the red.

Hi.
IV put the output back to 0db (it was +13db) and increased the input 2 to match the leve to the same level as when send/return are unplugged, seems to make sense I guess. There seems to be very little info on matching the levels with a 4cm.
I will see if this is ok on my next gig, I'm quietly confident that I have it sorted :)

Hi.
IV put the output back to 0db (it was +13db) and increased the input 2 to match the leve to the same level as when send/return are unplugged, seems to make sense I guess. There seems to be very little info on matching the levels with a 4cm.
I will see if this is ok on my next gig, I'm quietly confident that I have it sorted :)

As you have noted, for unity gain in the 4 cable method you turn both volume knobs on the front of the axefx all the way up. You should not have to turn the level on the input/gate up. That is boosting the level from you guitar into the added grid (like using a booster in front of an amp). Input 2 should be set as I described before. It does not effect volume (unless you have it set near minimum). The input parameters for instr, 1, and 2 are for optimizing the signal to the A/D converters, nothing more.

To adjust signal levels to and from the loop, you should use the fx loop block main (send to amp loop) and level (return from amp loop).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom