With the news of TigerSharcs stopping production, what does that mean for the Axe Fx?

A few years back, I bought an Ultra. Ten months later, the Axe II came out. I spent about five minutes thinking, "Bummer. i don't have the best anymore." Then I got over it. I had a blast with my Ultra for the next year, after which I jumped on the Axe II bandwagon. No regrets. I got my money's worth.

Well, that's you. If I'd known about the XL+ before buying an Ultra, I'd have waited, but that's me.

It's so weird that when people buy something, they expect / want further development and progress to stop.
I know. except if we're talking about a complete overhaul where our whole approach needs to change when the new model comes out. Or in the case of Windows, when you need to re-install and re-register your entire library of audio plugins and DAWs to upgrade, and pray that some of them will still work correctly. I estimate I spend hundreds of hours installing and registering.

I think Axe FX II's and III's will be an easy transition, like it was when I sold my ultra for the II. (Only lost $500 - or should I say, using the Ultra for 3 years only cost me $500).

Well.. the bottom line to that one is, don't ever buy anything!?

Not everything is a $2,000+ investment. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend $2,000+ on a product knowing I'd have to spend another $300 to upgrade it a year later, but that's me.

Not everything is a $2,000+ investment. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend $2,000+ on a product knowing I'd have to spend another $300 to upgrade it a year later, but that's me.
Here's the overriding bottom line:

Don't buy music gear as an investment. You'll be disappointed over and over. Instead, buy music gear according to what it's worth to you for making music.

Here's the overriding bottom line:

Don't buy music gear as an investment. You'll be disappointed over and over. Instead, buy music gear according to what it's worth to you for making music.

It was another way of saying 'spend money'. I wouldn't spend $2,000+ for a piece of gear that I knew would be discontinued in a year only to turn around and have to spend another $300 to upgrade it a year later. It's just not worth it to me, especially when the new gear is likely to have a 7 year life span / development cycle.

If the thought of losing money on musical gear is a problem to you, then I would suggest to buy used then. You'll get a cheaper price and when you turn around to sell it, you won't take that big of a hit off of it.

Case in point. I bought my first Axe-Fx Standard brand new. Sold it off down the road because I ended up using tube amps more. I lost a good amount of money on that deal. When the Axe-Fx II had been out for awhile, I was impressed. So, I bought Johnny A.'s from him after he was done using it for his album Driven. So, when the Axe-Fx III ever comes out, I probably won't lose a much as I did from the Standard.

Well that's the point, you don't have to... I have an AxeFX II Mach 2 (which sounds exactly as good as an XL+) and not long after getting it, the XL came out, I'm still happy as can be, no regrets, no GAS.

Unfortunately some people always have to have the newest, the biggest, the best and the most expensive (see the Apple fan club lining up). They have a massive fear of not being the coolest or one of such and their status symbols only being V1.0 instead of V2.0 and the industry heavily speculates on this behavior, in a massively winning way. Poor sods, caught up in a loop…

Just my 2 cents

If the thought of losing money on musical gear is a problem to you, then I would suggest to buy used then. You'll get a cheaper price and when you turn around to sell it, you won't take that big of a hit off of it.

Case in point. I bought my first Axe-Fx Standard brand new. Sold it off down the road because I ended up using tube amps more. I lost a good amount of money on that deal. When the Axe-Fx II had been out for awhile, I was impressed. So, I bought Johnny A.'s from him after he was done using for his album Driven. So, when the Axe-Fx III ever comes out, I probably won't lose a much as I did from the Standard.

With used gear in that price range there's typically no guarantee it's in perfect working order, and without a warranty it's a risk I'm not willing to take.

With used gear in that price range, there's typically no guarantee it's in perfect working order and that's a deterrent for me.
True. But you could always search out someone selling a used one near you that you could inspect before buying. That way you, for the most part, guarantee that you know it works properly.

True. But you could always search out someone selling a used one near you that you could inspect before buying. That way you, for the most part, guarantee that you know it works properly.

That's if you can find one locally, not to mention know your way around it well enough to test it thoroughly.

That's if you can find one locally, not to mention know your way around it well enough to test it thoroughly.
I suppose. Do whatever you want. You've obviously made up your mind about this, so there's no point in me offering suggestions to you.

I wouldn't spend $2,000+ for a piece of gear that I knew would be discontinued in a year...It's just not worth it to me, especially when the new gear is likely to have a 7 year life span / development cycle.
Cool. That's a perfect example of buying gear according to what it's worth to you.

...only to turn around and have to spend another $300 to upgrade it a year later.
There's no "have to." It's a personal choice.

I suppose. Do whatever you want. You've obviously made up your mind about this, so there's no point in me offering suggestions to you.

If you have a rational objection to that logic, feel free to share it. Otherwise, I consider it sound reasoning.

The best thing that could possibly happen to any Axe FX 2 user is that something far more awesome comes out and kills it, via lower cost and higher quality.

You can rub the genie bottle all you wish, but the fact is high quality comes at a price.

As much as I like my current guitar setup, I would enjoy nothing more than replacing it with something dramatically better... and this should hold for everybody here, and not just me.

What exactly are you looking for?

I'm getting the exact same tones to FOH as I was getting with my "real" amp + pedals setup - I don't know how much better that can get.

I wouldn't spend $2,000+ for a piece of gear that I knew would be discontinued in a year only to turn around and have to spend another $300 to upgrade it a year later.

I've never heard of a piece of equipment coming out, instantly making the current gear non-functional and thus forcing you to spend money to 'upgrade'.

People only upgrade because they choose to due to newer features or a better overall product that they want to now own.

Others are perfectly happy with the current gear they have as it still continues to works and does all they need.

Stop and think about what our folks do that send up satellites in space where they can't really work on them or replace things like chips - they use very well time tested parts that are versions and versions "dated" that are known/proven to work with high reliability. You'd be amazed how dated some of this stuff is incl software! ... they never risk putting something up that is bleeding edge. Stuff needs to work, always.

Been there. Once upon a time we bought the world's entire remaining supply of a specialized microprocessor that was already designed into a large system. The techs then proceeded to blow them up at a rather alarming and much higher than anticipated rate which necessitated the purchase of the mask works just in case we might need to fab a new supply before launch. The chip maker had contracted a third party, very poor imitations of software engineers that lot, to write a (massively buggy) compiler for the chip. Said third party became quite wealthy when we eventually had to buy the source code for the compiler from them in order to repair it to the extent necessary to avoid an unduly large number of our software engineers winding up face down drunk in the gutter (more often than was normal anyway) and / or with guns in their mouths. It seems that spending one's waking hours trying to determine whether problems were the result of one or more of many hardware glitches, the fault of the worst compiler ever written or something we'd done ourselves was not the fun-filled existence it might appear to be and that hand-editing the instructions barfed out by the faulty compiler wasn't much better.

We haven't even started working on an Axe-Fx 3. We expect to continue making the Axe-Fx II for at least a couple more years.
Cliff, Cliff, Cliff, Cliff, Cliff, Cliff, Cliff, Cliff, Cliff, Cliff.
Now why did you go and let that cat out of the bag? You know you shouldn't give such info to your competition!

Now it's not funny anymore...

Well, that's you. If I'd known about the XL+ before buying an Ultra, I'd have waited, but that's me.
Yeah! LOL!

Really.

Back
Top Bottom