With the news of overseas assembly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should sell your unit @CT76. Clearly this is not the company or product for you. Why hold on to something that causes you so much anger? How can you possibly enjoy it if every time you look at it all you see is $100 you feel you're owed? If you sell it on eBay and offer international shipping you'll be able to recoup your money and then some.

Then do us all a solid @CT76 and park the angry missives so we can all go back to enjoying this forum. You're not contributing anything positive or of note at this point.
Well this thread was set up for this type of response, I didn't start it just my oppinon as I have a right to

If there is a material difference in build quality between the US and China units, then please detail this in a post. I tend to think there's not one, as Fractal has already been producing the MFC 101 in China and it's build quality is top notch.

Off the top of my head, the Eventide Space pedal I have is China-built and top quality. Same with the Macbook Pro I'm typing this on. Junk build quality is junk no matter where it's built. You can produce crap in the US (as my 1986 Buick Skylark proved) and great stuff anywhere in the world.

I bought a Fender guitar a few months ago and then Fender had a price drop. I can't say what they did was immoral. It was bad timing on my part. It happens.

We don't know the details of when the actual operation in China actually started. Fractal can't just say, "oh stop buying for now because we might lower the price." It's bad business sense if they started assuming things are gonna happen before everything is already running smoothly, and announcing things that could backfire on them.

I bought a Fender guitar a few months ago and then Fender had a price drop. I can't say what they did was immoral. It was bad timing on my part. It happens.

We don't know the details of when the actual operation in China actually started. Fractal can't just say, "oh stop buying for now because we might lower the price." It's bad business sense if they started assuming things are gonna happen before everything is already running smoothly, and announcing things that could backfire on them.
It wasn't a sale or a discontinued item

If Fractal was not a stand up company, they could have kept quiet and pocketed the $100.00 per unit that gets built in China and none of us would have even known!

If Fractal was not a stand up company, they could have kept quiet and pocketed the $100.00 per unit that gets built in China and none of us would have even known!
Well obviously they are making more money cause you wouldn't off shore to cut cost to even out profit and at the same time lower the price

The AX8 is worth far more than than the original price.

When you've had a room full of nice tube amps, cabs, pedals, and all the related gear and accessories, and you then find you can be content and very happy with one processor, some exp pedals, and something to hear it through, it might help alter your perception of a $100 difference.

No one screwed you over with any malintent, and it's a relatively minimal loss to you, at best. $100 (take home pay) is about a day's work for many people. It's not trivial, of course, but it's also not worth a drawn out forum battle. We are have all gotten a great deal (when it comes right down to it) with the AX8.

Do I want every penny I ever lost selling off that now former gear collection? Okay, I'd lie if I said it wouldn't be nice, but it's water under the bridge, and now I know better.

We've been given a huge warehouse full of fine amp models, with a massive collection of IRs shot professionally using top-notch mics of awesome cabs available to us at a fraction of the price of their real-world equivalent, but with quite a lot available with the unit stock. Then, we have a full-blown studio-quality effects collection. And, it's all in a nice, gig-friendly package, with the excellent, and very easy to use controller built right in. For me, it does everything the more expensive Axe FX II plus MFC did, with no real compromise.

Price on their stock is not like oil. They had x in those units until they were gone. Just bad timing. I remember guys buying ultras days before the II hit.

Well obviously they are making more money cause you wouldn't off shore to cut cost to even out profit and at the same time lower the price

The US version will hold more value to many folks out there just like the Japanese EVH Wolfgangs fetch more $ than the Chinese ones. Made in Japan & China Wolfgangs are impossible to tell apart from each other & share the same stainless steel frets etc....

Just keep your payment receipt & show the date of purchase when & if you sell. There is readily available info on the forum when the Chinese version started shipping, so you can inform your purchaser. You will get some folks willing to pay more for the US version. This is always the case.....

Stop your butthurt.....go practice!

I don't think the resale price will take a big hit. Also, the FX8 is likely taking more of a hit on resale because the AX8 offers amp modeling for only $50 more.

I just took a look at the last few FX8 sales on Ebay:

$1200
$1150
$1125
$1116 x 2
$1100
$1000 x 2
$975
$972 ( still only $377 off full price)

For the OP's question. Like most people I would prefer to buy American made, because of the bad reputation that China\Taiwan has for building electronics. I just got rid of my first CD player, it was built in Japan in 1987... still works!
Yeah... well, I'm still using my old Sony 100W stereo I bought in 1989, it's MIJ as well, has worked fine for almost 27 years... it uses the good ol' class AB power amp design, as it was built before class D became popular.

Yes taxes matter, but Labor costs are the biggest reasons. Taxes pale in comparison to employee "minimum wage" and all the extras like unemployment tax, benefits, matching soc sec deduction etc, etc. Not to mention the cost to have people like me to process all that. I just did an 8 year stint processing payroll for 350+ employees in an upscale retirement community.It's mind boggling.

Labor is expensive when truly accounted for but it's not ruinous; e.g., I'm at approximately 135% of gross wage to carry each employee which is fairly cheap.

Taxes are horrific. My state, county and municipality are essentially insolvent and vastly over-staffed (note the correlation) and thus my property taxes have been going up approximately 10% per year for the past decade. Regulatory and licensing fees are the same and increasingly regulatory compliance is being utilized as a revenue-generating scheme. Income taxes are tricky; e.g., no bonus depreciation here because there's not way in the tax code to propagate it from the entity through to the individuals thus we're forced to manage physical inventory across annual boundaries to manipulate our tax bill rather than just engaging in capex when, and to the extent, it makes sense.

The single greatest reason to not do business in the USA is risk. Physical assets and employees present unavoidable risks that are most easily managed by having less of both. A few examples:

My first post-college employer was a very large multinational that entered the transistor business at nearly the time of its inception. Behind their first production facility were buried tanks holding solvents & other chemicals a few gallons leeched into the soil. You wouldn't want to mix this stuff in your vinaigrette but a couple hundred gallons on my lawn wouldn't cause me to lose any sleep. Initial settlement: nearly a billion dollars and multi-million dollar annual monitoring & remediation costs for levels that are so low as to be nearly immeasurable now.

Closer to home: I woke up a few weeks ago to a headline that the EPA had passed a new rule with all exemptions for small business stripped out at the eleventh hour. If imposed as promulgated I'll have to close a business and put the employees who staff it on the street. Cost of compliance as mandated exceeds my *gross* income. It will be the same for roughly 40% of my industry in the USA and 70+% of the second largest industry in my state (imagine what my taxes will look like then). The alleged harm? Trace methane emissions contributing to global warming (they don't exist in measurable amounts but proving that to the EPA's satisfaction will be financially impossible).

A few other local examples: a trespasser fell through a skylight on a warehouse and broke his back; result - bankruptcy of the business because insurance refused to pay. Two vehicles pass on a gravel road, one subsequently moves to center and has head-on collision with oncoming vehicle. Result - employer of teenager driving oncoming vehicle exhausts several million in insurance and loses around half his assets to driver of vehicle that moved to center. Welding supply business changes hands; environmental inspection finds "contamination" of soil with trace amounts of acetylene (a chemical so harmless it has been used as an anesthetic); EPA orders several acres dug out to a depth of 30' with removed soil to be sanitized by burning in large kilns; result - bankruptcy of business and individual, small multi-generational fortune lost to regulatory fiat.

And just for fun: in my second business I'm required to keep a list of assets with a regulatory agency (my business is record owner at the local courthouse as well so it's not like there's any question). Said agency took it upon themselves to move, without notice, a few assets from my business to the inventory of a defunct unlicensed business dissolved by the court in litigation years earlier which was owned by a hostile, litigious and deceased third party. Said third party's widow discarded the agency's demands for compliance. The agency subsequently denied renewal of my license alleging that the deceased third party was "affiliated" with my business because, wait for it, we share an unusual last name. Five figures in legal fees and nearly six in lost revenue due to work stoppage while we straightened the mess out and we're back in business but with no recourse against the agency for their improper actions.

Though those things don't really apply to FAS why would anyone do business here if they didn't have to? If it were physically possible to outsource my businesses they'd already be long gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom