WISH: Alternative to global blocks

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I proposed this idea before, and still think it's a handy alternative solution to the missing "Global Blocks" feature on the FM9 and other processors.

Every Block would have this additional parameter: Link To Preset (...)

This establishes a link between the block in the current preset and the same block instance in another preset (source).
It's not an automatic (dynamic) link so there's no impact on preset loading times.

An Update Linked Blocks command in the UI launches a batch update process that pastes the block settings from the source preset(s) into the linked blocks. Ideally, the Update parameter would be available per preset as well as a global command.

The result would be similar to Global Blocks, but easier to implement. Speaking for myself, it would replace the need to use Global Blocks on the III.

Last edited:
I proposed this idea before, and still think it's a handy alternative solution to the missing "Global Blocks" feature on the FM9 and other processors.

Every block would have this additional parameter: Link To Preset (...)

This establishes a link between the block in the current preset and the same block instance in another preset (source).
It's not an automatic (dynamic) link so there's no impact on preset loading times.

An Update Linked Blocks command in the UI launches a batch update process that pastes the block settings from the source preset(s) into the linked blocks. Ideally, the Update parameter would be available per preset as well as globally.

The result would be similar to Global Blocks, but easier to implement.
I would use this feature a lot!

Wouldn't this be essentially the same as saving the settings from the source preset / block in the block library and loading it in the target preset / block?

That would have the same non-live update behavior - you'd have to reload the block settings if they've changed.

I'd do this with some naming scheme to indicate versions of the block settings.

Wouldn't this be essentially the same as saving the settings from the source preset / block in the block library and loading it in the target preset / block?

Nope, not the same at all. With the Block Library you would have to do that per block and per preset each time.

Last edited:

Every block would have this additional parameter: Link To Preset (...)

An Update Linked Blocks command in the UI launches a batch update process that pastes the block settings from the source preset(s) into the linked blocks. Ideally, the Update parameter would be available per preset as well as globally.

The result would be similar to Global Blocks, but easier to implement.
I like it!

I like it as well. I would create source presets, say a "EVH Master Preset" with an EVH style Amp, Phaser, Flanger, and and then just link to that preset when I want those sounds in another preset. I'd probably end up with about 5 master presets with different styles and blocks that I would link to and only update those master presets when required and hit Update Linked Blocks in the UI. Great idea.

Ok guys I really understand the need to have global blocks on every platform. The suggested wish however has some disadvantages.
  • Szenario „the broken link“
    • Several blocks link to a preset that have been removed. What to do?
    • How to remove obsolete links?
  • Scenario mutual dependencies
    • Example: In preset #1 block x links to preset #2. In preset 2 block x links to preset #1.
  • How is the link to a preset implemented? By number or name? Number is unique, name isn‘t. In case of number: If you move the preset to a different location then you are in trouble.

I'm surprised there isn't Global on all the platforms. Specially the floor units, Globals are much more important imho live than anything else. I wonder if Cliff is thinking about implementing it on the FM3 and 9 considering that fact. Just seems logical and Cliff has always come off as a logical person.

+1 if this replaces the actual global blocks
(it would free some global storage)

The problem is it needs at least 2 more bytes storage in each preset block

Ok guys I really understand the need to have global blocks on every platform. The suggested wish however has some disadvantages.
  • Szenario „the broken link“
    • Several blocks link to a preset that have been removed. What to do?
    • How to remove obsolete links?
  • Scenario mutual dependencies
    • Example: In preset #1 block x links to preset #2. In preset 2 block x links to preset #1.
  • How is the link to a preset implemented? By number or name? Number is unique, name isn‘t. In case of number: If you move the preset to a different location then you are in trouble.
And what about circular dependencies?
Preset x links to preset y which links to preset z which links to preset x

+1

I'm surprised there isn't Global on all the platforms. Specially the floor units, Globals are much more important imho live than anything else. I wonder if Cliff is thinking about implementing it on the FM3 and 9 considering that fact. Just seems logical and Cliff has always come off as a logical person.

Amen to that. Never understood why the live products don't have global blocks.

And what about circular dependencies?
Preset x links to preset y which links to preset z which links to preset x
These aren't exactly new issues. Programmers figured this stuff out decades ago. Broken link? Check if it's there first, and if not, skip it or error out. There are algorithms for checking for circular links in data structures, too.

I'd be fine if this was implemented in FM9-Edit only. That's still better than nothing. Then there wouldn't be any memory requirements on the FM9.

Back
Top Bottom