Wireless with AFX2 & 2 guitars

multivir

Inspired
Hi,

I've been looking for a wireless system for a while now. At recent gigs I was using both an electric and an acoustic guitar with the AxeFX.
To make sure that I don't get a REALLY nasty sound if I should accidentially still have plugged in the acoustic while tripping over my pedal board and changing to a high gain preset :-x I connected the acoustic guitar to the 2nd input and use the FXL block on the patch.

So... If I want to keep it that way, I guess I'd need two separate wireless systems. I had a look at the Line6 stuff, the Sennheisers and a few others, but those and the (elegant, really small but expensive) Stageclix systems are the main options for now.

The point is, that if I have to get two systems, I'll have to shell out 600 - 1000$ or even more. Is there a good, reliable system that is
- comparably small (smaller than 1 rack unit)
- good build & sound quality, preferably digital
- at a decent price
- that does stereo?

For now, my assumption is that 2x Line6 G30 is the most affordable option, but I read that the plastic battery compartment door has a tendency to break. And I'd rather pay a few bucks more than to look where I dropped my batteries during a guitar solo at a gig...

As far as I understand, I could get two senders and use the same frequency for one receiver, but then I'd have to be really careful to always make sure the acoustic guitar sender is turned off when switching (to overdriven) presets. Or I could use just one system, which means I'll have to switch belt packs all the time.

Do you guys have an elegant solution for that?

Thanks

Mat

Line 6 wireless is not the best nor is it the most affordable. If your looking for affordable digital wireless, look into Brace wireless systems.
Inexpensive, no frills digital wireless. Works as advertised.
I've had mine for more than a year and don't use cables anymore.
http://braceaudio.com/

Check my two posts concerning wireless units:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/40975-jangus-music-wi-audiolink-iem-wireless-instrument.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/lounge/40577-line6-g90-vs-line6-xd-70-axefx.html

PS you can't set two senders simultaneously set to the same frequency and send to one receiver at the same time on any system. I mean, you can do it but only 1 sender will be received at a time. Honestly if I were you I'd go with 2 Jangus Wi systems for a total of ~$380. In fact you could get 4 systems and still be under the cost of 2 Line 6's. Otherwise I can also vouch for 2 line 6's (I use 2 XD70's and would recommend at least the G50 and up. G30 might be ok but the sound and transmitter aren't as good as the G50 and up).

I use 2 transmitters and one receiver, but only one can be on at a time. I use line 6 and they are silent to turn off and on so this isn't an issue. I turn off one while I am taking guitar 1 off and turn on guitar 2 while I pick that one up.

I use 2 transmitters and one receiver, but only one can be on at a time. I use line 6 and they are silent to turn off and on so this isn't an issue. I turn off one while I am taking guitar 1 off and turn on guitar 2 while I pick that one up.

Sean, do you use the wireless at home as well as live on stage?

Hmm... I just checked out the Jangus & Brace website plus reviews I could find online.
I wouldn't want to go for something that has inferior sound quality, isn't well built etc. so I'm not sure if I should go for one of these.
Both companies don't exactly have a reputation like Shure or Sennheiser and there aren't to many reviews or direct comparisons.
This is not a new technology anymore... I also found a system called JOYO JW-01 which is really small, plugs straight into the guitar / amp and costs only 80 bucks and gets quite bad reviews. The battery should last for 6 hours however.

I wonder why the pro audio companies don't use the technology that's obviously available and make a higher quality copy of these in a nice sturdy box...

Well, I actually own a Jangus Wi and 2 Line 6 XD-70's and have used both for guitar. The Jangus has high quality audio but the converter isn't as good as the Line 6. I recommended it b/c it sounds like it fits your needs (small, inexpensive, high quality audio, digital, stereo). The sound is better better than Brace. I don't know about the JOYO JW-01 but while the technology isn't new, the brands vary greatly. For example I used the Emu and the Jangus is way way better. I think the pro audio companies haven't jumped on this for two reasons: 1 it was introduced specifically for the consumer market. 2 the range is limited compared to the Line 6 (100ft vs. 300ft), 3 the licensing for the tech could be prohibitive - I say that b/c there hasn't been an explosion of units marketed to the iPhone/Android market (as inears).

But given your reaction, you should go for 2 Line 6 G50's or above. I'm sold on the XD70's which are essentially the same but you'll save some money with G50's.

Hmm... I just checked out the Jangus & Brace website plus reviews I could find online.
I wouldn't want to go for something that has inferior sound quality, isn't well built etc. so I'm not sure if I should go for one of these.
Both companies don't exactly have a reputation like Shure or Sennheiser and there aren't to many reviews or direct comparisons.
This is not a new technology anymore... I also found a system called JOYO JW-01 which is really small, plugs straight into the guitar / amp and costs only 80 bucks and gets quite bad reviews. The battery should last for 6 hours however.

I wonder why the pro audio companies don't use the technology that's obviously available and make a higher quality copy of these in a nice sturdy box...

Last edited:
Grape,

Thanks for your feedback. I just found a local store online that has the Jangus in their catalog. I'll call them and see if I can try it out.
Chances are that they'll also carry L6 stuff so maybe I can check out both.

Grape,

Thanks for your feedback. I just found a local store online that has the Jangus in their catalog. I'll call them and see if I can try it out.

I'm sure you're aware of this, when trying new wireless systems it's important to try it at different locations, it might work great at the store and then give you all kinds of trouble at the gigs, this is why I went with a somewhat proven system (L6 G50) never tried the Jangus and it might be as good or better, I just like to play it safe.. :)

I bought the L6 G90 (I wanted a rack mount unit) which is a stellar performer.
Essentially the same as the G30/G50 series, but I went with it 'cus I don't want the "desktop mount" variety. Had either of those been rack-mountable, I'd have gone with one of them instead, as I really don't need/use the "extra" features of the G90.

Only use one transmitter, but the G90 it will support up to 3 transmitters (on same channel) with one receiver - switching one off as you turn the others on, or TWO transmitters using separate channels - both transmitters can be on at same time, but channel switch on receiver front panel determines "active" transmitter.

Cheaper than buying 2 transmitters and 2 receivers of another brand :)

Did you ever figure out which wireless unit to get?

Grape,

No, I simply didn't have the time. Plus it's kinda hard to justify the investment if you compare the not so adventurous solutions (Line 6 or better known brand names) to the price of a decent but not super hifi cable.

So true. Mentally I like cables. Makes you feel connected in a literal way. I have a specific need for wireless otherwise I'd go that route.

Back
Top Bottom