Windows. Is it worth to pay for an anti-virus?

What AntiVirus are you using? (For Windows users only)

• Total voters
Windows defender should be all you need unless of course your frequent naughty and or questionable websites, then you'll need an added layer or two of protection. Keep your UAC on too that will always help, though, somewhat annoying with endless security prompts...

i would say the first thing you got to ask yourself is: am I a yes clicker? They have gotten pretty tricky about trying to get folks to click on links... I am pretty good at avoiding but at my work had a gal click yes and then immediately a prog was going thru out email list sending out links to our clients trying to get them to click on things! I had it shut down in 10 mins cause she told me right away and no real damage but... I constantly send out email reminders telling folks just to never click links in emails period!

I would also consider whether or not anyone else accesses your pc... and how freq you put things on your pc that are potentially dangerous. Ever use an unsavory thumb drive from a friend? hehe

i like web root. Every year I go out and find a deal for $30 rather than auto renew and I like it not because it's the best av... it's the least intrusive. I'm not a yes clicker... but I also have 12T of data and don't do reg backups (personal pc). It's worth $30 to me.

I don't really use Windows, only in a Qemu virtual machine and only when I need to, so there's no need for an antivirus whatsoever. But if I had to use Windows regularly, I'd never ever install an external antivirus program. They go WAY too deep into the system, have WAY too many rights and in my opinion (which is based on reports about security issues these programs have) they do more harm than good.

If security is important to you and you want or have to stick to Windows, inform yourself on how to secure it by deactivating useless stuff like services etc., hardening it with onboard tools (e.g. simply by adjusting system settings accordingly) and so on.

It seems to be true that they go to deep into the system. I've always been scared to activate the Bitdefender feature that takes control when you go to your bank online account, or use the Visa to pay on a secure page.

Depends on:

1. Do you install new software?

2. Do you spend money on the net?

3. Do you have sensitive information on your computer or in emails?

If so, I would use a paid service.

Having said that, government computers and billion-dollar companies have been hacked. If hackers had a reason to target you, they would probably get you regardless.

Damned Windows! After unninstalling the expired Bitdefender I have no anti-virus
1665709515085.png
1665709558904.png
This is my personal laptop

Last edited:
Damned Windows! After unninstalling the expired Bitdefender I have no anti-virus
View attachment 109793
View attachment 109796
This is my personal laptop

Issue solved. I have run a third party Malware Removal Tool and it has found 20 threats. After removing them, Windows Security is activated. The problem was not a Windows issue, it was a malware preventing the antivirus to be initiated

So, I have been paying for Bitdefender all these years, and I had malware inside my computer!!
1665711626991.png
No more paid antivirus!

Last edited:
Issue solved. I have run a third party Malware Removal Tool and it has found 20 threats. After removing them, Windows Security is activated. The problem was not a Windows issue, it was a malware preventing the antivirus to be initiated

So, I have been paying for Bitdefender all these years, and I had malware inside my computer!!
View attachment 109797
No more paid antivirus!
As I was saying… It's just stupid!

Hope your system is clean now, but to be honest, you cannot know…

Reply from Bitdefender to my complain:

"Having Bitdefender uninstalled and not protecting your device, we cannot guarantee/nor be responsible, for the safety of your device."

They do not want to understand that these 20 threats were at my computer while Bitdefender was installed, and Bitdefender was not able to protect the device. At the very moment that I uninstalled Bitdefender, these threats prevented Window Security from starting. Only when I did run a third party removal tool (Malwarebytes) these threats were removed, and Windows Defender could be initiated.

Reply from Bitdefender to my complain:

"Having Bitdefender uninstalled and not protecting your device, we cannot guarantee/nor be responsible, for the safety of your device."

They do not want to understand that these 20 threats were at my computer while Bitdefender was installed, and Bitdefender was not able to protect the device. At the very moment that I uninstalled Bitdefender, these threats prevented Window Security from starting. Only when I did run a third party removal tool (Malwarebytes) these threats were removed, and Windows Defender could be initiated.
Yes bit defender is bad, i had it... It slows the computer down by about 30%, for nothing

View attachment 109797
No more paid antivirus!
I always ran 2 when I was using them: AdAware and Malwarebytes.

Both would find things the other did not.

It all comes down to the "signatures" they look for.

My Bitdefender Total Security subscription is about to expire, and I am not sure if I shall renew it.

Is it really worth to pay for an external antivirus with Windows 10, or shall I go back to Windows Defender?

What are you using?

I had Bitdefender for a couple of years a while back. Then stopped using it and relied solely on Windows Defender with no issues whatsoever. I had no issues with Bitdefender either but I dont like the bloatware and the constant marketing Anti-Virus companies use and why pay when you dont need to?

These days, most malware is something other than a virus, and signature-based antivirus software won’t detect it. You still need antivirus, though. The built-in Windows one is, at the very least, a competent antivirus program.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom