Will we see the Plexi 2204/JMP50w

No, but you could post the CabLab session files along with the name of the packs needed for them, that way if people have the same packs already they can create the mix themselves by opening up the .cls (which is just holds the parameter settings used and path to .ir or .wav files)... might even move some sales to the CabPack providers?
Hmm, I was unaware you could do this.. although I know I rarely do much more inside of CabLab than just combine a few IR’s. Rarely do I mess with any levels, but that’s cool to know that you can save that part of the file if you do.
Hmm, I wonder if we brought it up, seeing how important the IR really is, if maybe there could be a new separate section of the forum opened up that was dedicated solely to CabLab Recipies.
And like you said, I would imagine it would help drive Cab Pack sales that much more.

Hmm, I was unaware you could do this.. although I know I rarely do much more inside of CabLab than just combine a few IR’s. Rarely do I mess with any levels, but that’s cool to know that you can save that part of the file if you do.
Hmm, I wonder if we brought it up, seeing how important the IR really is, if maybe there could be a new separate section of the forum opened up that was dedicated solely to CabLab Recipies.
And like you said, I would imagine it would help drive Cab Pack sales that much more.
I think it's a "stealth feature" of CabLab ;), there's an "IR Search Paths..." setting in Cab-Lab that says:

"IR Search paths are used in conjunction with Cab-Lab 3 sessions. The search paths are used to try and located IRS on your computer when you load a session.

For example, if you download a Cab-Lab session file from Axe-Change that uses 'Producer Cab Pack 1: Wellspring Sound" you set a search path to the location where you installed the cab pack. Cab-Lab will then be able to automatically locate and load the IRs."

... and yet, there's no section of Axe-Change for CabLab session files (at least not that I'm aware of anyways)... seems like FAS had designed things for the idea of potential future recipe sharing with the session files, and it didn't really go anywhere past that maybe?

I think it's a "stealth feature" of CabLab ;), there's an "IR Search Paths..." setting in Cab-Lab that says:

"IR Search paths are used in conjunction with Cab-Lab 3 sessions. The search paths are used to try and located IRS on your computer when you load a session.

For example, if you download a Cab-Lab session file from Axe-Change that uses 'Producer Cab Pack 1: Wellspring Sound" you set a search path to the location where you installed the cab pack. Cab-Lab will then be able to automatically locate and load the IRs."

... and yet, there's no section of Axe-Change for CabLab session files (at least not that I'm aware of anyways)... seems like FAS had designed things for the idea of potential future recipe sharing with the session files, and it didn't really go anywhere past that maybe?
Well I think the big stumbling block has got to be the royalty & copyright issues. There’s so many Cab Packs & so many producers & I don’t know how many people really buy all of them. I mean I have a lot, a real lot, but nowhere near all, and I dunno how many more I truly need. I like to think I pretty much have everything covered for just about every speaker & then some. However, with that being said, I would definitely buy some 99¢ concoctions of CabLab creations from fellow users. I just don’t need another 246 G12-65 IR’s or whatever, so I’m probably not gunna buy another cab pack to re-create a recipie.
But I suppose the problem then becomes; would something like this kill Cab Pack sales in the long run? Considering out of the 30,000+ IR’s currently in my library I only ever used maybe 30 of them, if users are creating and picking the cream of the crop of the Cab Packs & making killer IR’s why would anyone ever buy a Cab Pack again..

Back to the amp in question... its definitely an interesting tone, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same experience I am that the JMP 2204 is darker than any of the Plexis as well as the later JCM 800 (also a 2204, right, not a 2203?)?

Back to the amp in question... its definitely an interesting tone, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same experience I am that the JMP 2204 is darker than any of the Plexis as well as the later JCM 800 (also a 2204, right, not a 2203?)?
I haven’t had a chance to really dig into the new FW yet. The weekends are tough for me as everyone is home. However, I have all day everyday free during the week so I’ll be good to go Monday morning.

So I had a chance to mess around with the 2204 a bit today, & I have to say I like it quite a bit. All I did was lower the Bass down to around 2.5ish, (wherever it was with the low cut ON till I got a nice non-muddy tone on my neck p/u which is a lil 59). I turned the Master up to 7.5 and the Input Trim all the way down, turned the Treb up a bit. That was it. Then I just use a FET preamp in front and the boost switch on the Amp.. very easy to dial in & very dynamic this way with the guitar vol.

Yup, I have the same experience with the 2204 model. It’s dark, and the low end is pretty loose. I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the 2204. That’s ok, as I have the other plexi models, which I love, especially the 1959SLP.

Yup, I have the same experience with the 2204 model. It’s dark, and the low end is pretty loose. I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the 2204. That’s ok, as I have the other plexi models, which I love, especially the 1959SLP.
I was just looking at the difference between the 1959SLP, 6550 & the 2204, (also the JCM 800) on the Fractal unit. And my suspicion was correct. The bright cap on both the 59SLP & 6550 is set at 4999pF and on the 2204 it’s set at 500pF. I didn’t get a chance to try the 2204 at 4999pF cause it’s 4am & my wife is sound asleep . But I know from tweaking the bright cap parameter on other amps it makes a huge difference. Raising this up on the 2204 ought to brighten it right up. Btw, the JCM800 default is also higher at 1000pF. Personally I liked the tone of this amp, but I didn’t A/B to the other Plexi’s or the JCM, I actually A/B’d to the FAS Wreck Amp as I put it in that patch on the X/Y & actually works nicely with that amp, similar but a bit of a different flavor.

I was just looking at the difference between the 1959SLP, 6550 & the 2204, (also the JCM 800) on the Fractal unit. And my suspicion was correct. The bright cap on both the 59SLP & 6550 is set at 4999pF and on the 2204 it’s set at 500pF. I didn’t get a chance to try the 2204 at 4999pF cause it’s 4am & my wife is sound asleep . But I know from tweaking the bright cap parameter on other amps it makes a huge difference. Raising this up on the 2204 ought to brighten it right up. Btw, the JCM800 default is also higher at 1000pF. Personally I liked the tone of this amp, but I didn’t A/B to the other Plexi’s or the JCM, I actually A/B’d to the FAS Wreck Amp as I put it in that patch on the X/Y & actually works nicely with that amp, similar but a bit of a different flavor.

Thanks for pointing that out! I’ll try messing with the bright cap on the 2204 later today. I was also going to try backing off on the gain and using an overdrive pedal in front too. I have a lot of experimentation to do with this model!

Thanks for pointing that out! I’ll try messing with the bright cap on the 2204 later today. I was also going to try backing off on the gain and using an overdrive pedal in front too. I have a lot of experimentation to do with this model!
Also try lowering the Input Trim.. it gives ya a little more headroom to work with as far as how quick the amp breaks up, without changing the tone at all. I almost always do this & then make it up with a boost, either with the switch or a pedal/Filter Block or both. But then again it depends on what you’re after.. if you just want full on cranked Marshall then disregard..

Also try lowering the Input Trim.. it gives ya a little more headroom to work with as far as how quick the amp breaks up, without changing the tone at all. I almost always do this & then make it up with a boost, either with the switch or a pedal/Filter Block or both. But then again it depends on what you’re after.. if you just want full on cranked Marshall then disregard..

The cranked Marshall sound is usually what I aim for, but the 2204 is definitely a different beast compared to the other plexi and JCM800 models. I'm looking forward to spending some time fiddling with the 2204 this evening. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Well I just tried everything.. A/B’d everything.. turns out the Bright Cap really does most of its work well below even 500pF as far as adding or removing brightness. So that isn’t it. What it does do between 500-4999 is add some more gain, in order to notice it just turn down the vol on your guitar so the amp cleans up, so it’s clean right before it starts to break up, put the Cap at 500, (first) then raise it up and you’ll hear the amp get pushed a bit harder & start to break up, but there’s not really much of a change in brightness. Oh, I think it makes a bigger difference when the MV is cranked.
So anyway, the best way I came up with with this amp is lowering the Input Trim all the way, turn up the MV at least to 7.5 or above, turn down the Input Drive & the Bass, then drive the front end of the Amp with either a Filter Block with some EQ pushing some extra highs and/or using a drive pedal with added highs. I liked the FET Preamp, Or FET Boost, Micro Boost, and the BB Pre but remember to use the Treble & not the tone knob for authenticity, (& I raised the High Cut to 4600Hz) worked pretty nice.
I didn’t try the Shimmer, but I bet that’d work nicely with this amp...

Well I just tried everything.. A/B’d everything.. turns out the Bright Cap really does most of its work well below even 500pF as far as adding or removing brightness. So that isn’t it. What it does do between 500-4999 is add some more gain, in order to notice it just turn down the vol on your guitar so the amp cleans up, so it’s clean right before it starts to break up, put the Cap at 500, (first) then raise it up and you’ll hear the amp get pushed a bit harder & start to break up, but there’s not really much of a change in brightness. Oh, I think it makes a bigger difference when the MV is cranked.
So anyway, the best way I came up with with this amp is lowering the Input Trim all the way, turn up the MV at least to 7.5 or above, turn down the Input Drive & the Bass, then drive the front end of the Amp with either a Filter Block with some EQ pushing some extra highs and/or using a drive pedal with added highs. I liked the FET Preamp, Or FET Boost, Micro Boost, and the BB Pre but remember to use the Treble & not the tone knob for authenticity, (& I raised the High Cut to 4600Hz) worked pretty nice.
I didn’t try the Shimmer, but I bet that’d work nicely with this amp...

Yeah, I didn’t have much luck with adjusting the bright cap either. I was able to get a nice cranked Marshall sound from the 2204. I turned mid, treble, and presence all the way up, and bass all the way down. I set the input gain to 5, and kept the master volume at default (4 or 5, can’t remember what the default is). I put the shimmer drive in front of the amp, drive at 0, level at 8. I used my current favorite greenback IR. Then it sounded like a screaming plexi. It was glorious!

Holy moly, I know we're all trying to get the best screaming articulate drive tone we can out of this but... anyone else think this amp sounds f#@&ing killer for clean tones with the master at 10 and pre at 1 or below??

Holy moly, I know we're all trying to get the best screaming articulate drive tone we can out of this but... anyone else think this amp sounds f#@&ing killer for clean tones with the master at 10 and pre at 1 or below??

That's an interesting approach. It was something I saw as a suggestion for a Blues Jr; crank the master and use the input gain to control the volume. It works, but it's a little unwieldy with the physical amp.

On the gain side of things, I actually kind of feel like the amp's sound sorta combines some Marshall Plexi + 800 vibe with some crazy cranked old-school Fender thickness. Pretty cool for blues tones, but not as much for later tighter rock/metal.

Am I nuts?

I know that I’m probably weird but my favorite plexi in the AF2 is the Vibra-king with the bass at 2 and everything else cranked. AMAZING TONE - especially with the stock 3x10. Love it!

From what I can tell this amp really likes a brighter guitar than other Marshalls. I mostly play 90's Gibsons with 57 Classics in them. But when I grabbed my maple-neck/board Charvel and plugged that into the 2204 I found that I finally got the thick-but-articulate tone I'd always been looking for in that guitar

Coming back around to this... from everything I've seen/read elsewhere online about 2204's, including the JMP ones, the stock bright cap on this really should be set to 1000, not 500.

Could be that before Cliff got his a prior owner decided it needed to be tamed. Or it could be that Cliff thought it sounded better at 500. Or it could be that it actually did leave Marshall that way... who knows?

Back
Top Bottom