Will there ever be a plugin (VST) for for the Axe-Fx II?

tabqwerty

Inspired
One that would be comparable to POD Farm? The reason why I ask is because I think the effects would be great to use for all audio and VSTi tracks.

*one 'for' for the title

Last edited:
Yeah, I asked this when I first joined the forum. I would like to see it happen, not for the effects but for the amp/cab models.

To hold me over until I get an Axe II (or ?) I'm thinking about the Magix Vandal amp plugin. Anyone around here who has it? I already have POD Farm Pro 2.5 and Guitar Rig 4, both of which leave me wanting something more... real.

Unless fractal can squeeze that amount/speed of processing into a desktop (processors here are very different from DSPs), my guess at the short answer is no. My guess at the long answer is nope.

Yeah, I asked this when I first joined the forum. I would like to see it happen, not for the effects but for the amp/cab models.

To hold me over until I get an Axe II (or ?) I'm thinking about the Magix Vandal amp plugin. Anyone around here who has it? I already have POD Farm Pro 2.5 and Guitar Rig 4, both of which leave me wanting something more... real.

after much time, trouble and frustration with POD Farm, Amplitube, GR and even TH1, I found the Vandal to be useable. :)
this was right before I got an Ultra, needless to say that you just simply can't compare the two, but the Vandal is alright to some extend.

Scuffham s-gear, most real sounding and feeling by far, it's options are limited to three amp models and a delay but you can cover an amazing amount of ground in those models. Stick a vst tubescreamer up front and other vst fx after and you've got most things covered.
Imho the raw amp models rival the axe2 in sound and feel (at this stage I prefer the s-gear to the axe2 for getting awesome tones really fast). Amazing little bit of software.

the Vandal is alright to some extend.

Thanks. Thinking about it. Just saw they have a time limited demo, so if I can set aside a block of time I'll give it a try. Hmmm... now I don't see downloadable demo... maybe thing of something else.

Scuffham s-gear

Thanks. Ah... I should mention I'm on Mac. And like to avoid VST wrappers.

I wonder if another amp plugin is just throwing good money after bad?

Last edited:

if you're just waiting to get an Axe, then yes.
what really sets the Axe apart from anything else for me is the non-existent latency. It just feels right. You hit a string, the note hits you in the face, no 8-24ms delay like common modelers have, and your 'all-round' ASIO latency when using plugins might be even higher (it's AD conversion + processing + DA conversion, often only the AD conversion latency is shown in DAWs like Live, but the overall latency is killing the feel)

Thanks. Ah... I should mention I'm on Mac. And like to avoid VST wrappers.

The mac version is due out very soon apparently. It's very cheap also, 15 day free trial gives you plenty of time to experiment.
Checkout their forum, lots of axe-fx users over there posting very very good clips.

I bought it as a cheap toy to tide me over until the axe2 arrived, i didn't expect much from it at all.
I got it about three months after i sold my ultra, when i first used it i was like woah this sounds and feels better than the ultra, but then i doubted my memory of the ultra and figured my mind must be playing tricks on me as it's been months since i had the ultra.
But sure enough when the axe2 arrived last week i have been able to give them both a good run and i tell ya the s-gear more than holds it's own.
The presets especially take only minor tweaks for the particular guitar i am using to sound awesome.

Last edited:
what really sets the Axe apart from anything else for me is the non-existent latency. It just feels right. You hit a string, the note hits you in the face, no 8-24ms delay like common modelers have, and your 'all-round' ASIO latency when using plugins might be even higher (it's AD conversion + processing + DA conversion, often only the AD conversion latency is shown in DAWs like Live, but the overall latency is killing the feel)

I get no audibly noticeable latency on my pos old P4 pc, feels exactly the same as having the axe plugged in.

Yeah, I'd pick up something like a PODHD 300 or similar, if you are just biding time for a II. The HD300 costs about what a bigname commercial plugin does, but could be useful as a hardware backup unit and has resale value, unlike a software license.

Last edited:

This brings up an interesting point. Anyone ever test the Input-to-Output latency of either the Ultra or Axe II? After all it still has to do A/D conversion, amp modeling, effects processing, and DA conversion.

The latency exists but I bet it's almost negligible, especially when compared to an audio interface AD conversion (driver latency?)> DAW software> plugin processing> and audio interface DA conversion.

I do have to say that way back when I picked up a POD 2.0 I thought that I felt a noticeable latency.

One that would be comparable to POD Farm? The reason why I ask is because I think the effects would be great to use for all audio and VSTi tracks.

*one 'for' for the title
As I replied in the other thread.. my guess is no!

Yeah, I'd pick up something like a PODHD 300 or similar. The HD300 costs about what a bigname commercial plugin does, but could be useful as a hardware backup unit and has resale value, unlike a software license.

Good suggestion. I think I still have a POD 2.0 in storage. Is the HD300 a big step up from that or similar?

Sorry for steering this thread off topic!

This brings up an interesting point. Anyone ever test the Input-to-Output latency of either the Ultra or Axe II? After all it still has to do A/D conversion, amp modeling, effects processing, and DA conversion.

The latency exists but I bet it's almost negligible, especially when compared to an audio interface AD conversion (driver latency?)> DAW software> plugin processing> and audio interface DA conversion.

I do have to say that way back when I picked up a POD 2.0 I thought that I felt a noticeable latency.

I think it was stated somewhere as 1 point something ms...

:D

Back
Top Bottom