Will there be FM3 Mini ? Fractal answer to the new Kemper Profiler Player

I'd say Liquid Profiling is more of a response to modeling and this mini player is a late response to the Tone-X turd from the people who started the profiling thing.

Sorry, but I don't agree at all.

The rig the Axe Fx and foot controller replaced cost at least as much... And it has way more potential.

I know it's your opinion, but when you say "for most people" then you're asserting that opinion onto others.
yup - see this ubsurd statement all the time here - + totally missing the point that its a palette of options - just because someone only uses features a,b, and c today does not
mean he/she won't want to use features x, y and z tomorrow.

I think maybe the use of the word "fragmented" wasn't warranted. FAS has thoughtfully built this product line to support users with varying needs and to, with some limitations, go seamlessly from one platform to the next.
Ok I got it now and apologize then, I understand now that “fragmented” might have negative connotations in English. I translated it from my main language where it’s not.

Probably “diversified” or “spread out” is a better way to express what I meant, that there are options different enough to cover all needs.

Last edited:
This…
No plans for anything like this. If the FM3 is too heavy for you then you need to spend some time at the gym.
plus Cliff's comment on TGP
The entire product line was conceived years ago. The goal was to maximize the number of parts shared between products.

The footswitch PC boards do three switches each. An FM3 has one board. An FC6 has two. An FM9 has three and an FC12 has four.

All products use the same LCDs, encoders, side plates, etc., etc. This reduces cost and repair inventory. The FC6 and the FM3 are basically the same enclosure. The FC12 and FM9 are basically the same enclosure.

This isn't a huge market. Margins are thin so you have to think of ways to minimize development and product costs. Parts bin methodology is the route we took on this generation.
should make it clear.

Ok I got it now and apologize then, I understand now that “fragmented” might have negative connotations in English. I translated it from my main language where it’s not.

Probably “diversified” or “spread out” is a better way to express what I meant, that there are options different enough to cover all needs.
I could tell that English probably wasn't your native language and so I believed I knew what you were trying to relay. Words can be tricky because of nuances.

No plans for anything like this. If the FM3 is too heavy for you then you need to spend some time at the gym.
Have you ever tried to haul everything to the gig on your back? The guitar, cables, costumes, merch, wireless system, FM3 etc ? Here in Ukraine that's how we do live gigs.

If you've tried this at least once - I'm sure you would be on my side.

Of course FM3 by itself is OK in weight. But it's never needed to take ONLY FM3 and nothing else!

I easily would pay twice the price of FM3 for twice the reduction of it's weight. It's 2024 - and we are busy carrying steel boxes with few PCBs inside which weight nothing...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Have you ever tried to haul everything to the gig on your back? The guitar, cables, costumes, merch, wireless system, FM3 etc ? Here in Ukraine that's how we do live gigs.

Of course FM3 by itself is OK in weight. But it's never needed to take ONLY FM3 and nothing else!

I easily would pay twice the price of FM3 for twice the reduction of it's weight. It's 2024 - and we are busy carrying steel boxes with few PCBs inside which weight nothing...
If you're hauling costumes and merchandise, then that's really on you. The FM3 is a great size and weight for a gigging musician. If size and weight are at that much of a premium then there are other options. IMHO you probably don't represent the situation for most users.

I hope that doesn't sound callous but the reality is that even if you were using a Stomp, it sounds like you'd still be struggling.

I hope that doesn't sound callous but the reality is that even if you were using a Stomp, it sounds like you'd still be struggling.
True. But when you’re already struggling, two or three pounds either way makes a big difference.

There are other options to reduce weight for a loadout. I live in LA, and while I do drive to gigs, there are options to also take the subway/public transportation to gigs to beat traffic and not have to worry about parking. I also have traveled overseas and NYC taking public transpo to gigs and have my full rig with me. I fly all the time without checking anything and I have a full guitar + FM3 rig with me with plenty of room for clothes and toiletries.

Here's a couple suggestions.

1) Get a Ciari Guitar with the gig bag/backpack. It folds into a backpack size. You can even fit an FM3 into this backpack + the guitar if needed.
2) Ditch the Wireless system and get a Ernie Ball Headphone/Instrument cable. Your In ears plug into the FM3 and you take a feed from FOH. Less cables and gear to bring to the gig. If you absolutely need to go wireless guitar for a gig, get the Xvive system, or a Line6 G10 system which are the lightest and most compact.
3) Fm3 can go into a rolling Pelican Air (get the size of your choice). Use extra space to store whatever extra gear you need.
4) Get a mono flyby Ultra. This allows you to put the backpack on the trolley handle with a pass-thru on top of the rolling cart. If you have to take steps, wear the backpack in front of you. Easy to crouch, slide your front two arms into the backpack, and snap the rolling trolley handle back into the Pelican and you can walk up the steps. Store your costume and other needed accessories inside. The FM3 + other accessories can also fit inside this backpack if you don't want to get a pelican. The Ciari Guitar, folded can also fit into the Mono Ultra Flyby backpack (won't fit in a standard flyby).

There are plenty of options and this is why the FM3 is still the industry leader in the most amount of functionality per size.

I build and program kemper rigs for a lot of clients in addition to fractal rigs and there is a lot of missing functionality on the kemper player (2 pre effects, 2 post effects, no morph feature, no stereo out via XLR...which means you need a stereo DI unless you want to chance ground loop issues). It is missing a -lot-, and people are only enamored with the form factor. The morph feature is one of the biggest gripes/features that is missing that can make this a dealbreaker for kemper users.

Back
Top Bottom