Will there be FM3 Mini ? Fractal answer to the new Kemper Profiler Player

The Player had the potential to be an amazing little box, but the lack of a screen or clear UI on the physical unit pose significant annoyances for users. I spent a little time in the manual and there's some stuff in there that I wouldn't wish upon anyone:

Nuts.png

There are already comments on Kemper's Insta from users stating that they're using their cellphones as displays so they can tell what the hell they're doing. And when confronted with users' more-than-reasonable frustrations over the inability to access all parameters & features via the controls on the physical unit itself, this was Kemper's official response:

barf.jpeg
barf2.jpeg
It honestly feels like the designers of this unit have never played live. Nevertheless, if a company I supported ever communicated to its customers this condescendingly, I'd be running to return or resell my gear out of sheer principle--even if I didn't use the device in question.

Best of luck to Kemper and the hardworking musicians that support them.

Last edited:
How is Kemper even relevant anymore? 80% of profiles sound like garbage

I agree, 80% of the 19k plus profiles on the RE sound like garbage. That still leaves 3.8k that sound good or great.

I do love my FM3, but I also own a Kemper (Stage) and there's nothing wrong with it. Still going strong...

This was basically the same thing Headrush did with their box. It didn't sell like they hoped it would, and repackaged that into a floor unit. That isn't selling either.

It's hard to make a product fly when it's basically a repackaged DigiDesign/Avid Eleven Rack. Same thing here. Kemper is third or fourth best and this is just product repackaging in hopes of capturing an audience that already is primed to be disappointed because all they care about is the audio and this just doesn't do it.

Last edited:
This was basically the same thing Headrush did with their box. It didn't sell like they hoped it would, and repackaged that into a floor unit. That isn't selling either.

It's hard to make a product fly when it's basically a repackaged DigiDesign/Avid Eleven Rack. Same thing here. Kemper is third or fourth best and this is just product repackaging in hopes of capturing an audience that already is primed to be disappointed because all they care about is the audio and this just doesn't do it.
Man the HR units have a huge footprint!

Man the HR units have a huge footprint!
THIS is a huge floor unit
photos-of-chonky-cats.jpg

I don't see the point. The Fractal family is already fragmented enough, both in price and features/size.

• FM3 small size, good price for it's features. This is my current unit.
  • FM9 I guess this is the perfect in between model.
  • FX III overkill for most of people not profesional or in studio, you need a pedalboard to use it live, pretty expensive including both.

Of course if I could chose my dream rig I'd take an FM3 size factor with the FX III power and features. I have thought a few times about selling my FM3 to buy a FM9 but... the 3 fits perfectly in my backpack so I can use it at home and carry rehearsal and gigs easily. My band's other guitar player uses a Helix and he is thinking about the FM3 just because the size factor, as the Helix is quite big to carry it every day from home to rehearsal.

Only feature I really miss in the FM3 besides overall processing power is to be able to use dual amps.

I think the point is that the "need" for something smaller than the FM3 is real. Makes sense that we Fractal users would prefer a FM-Mini or something, now that this has been ruled out I'll buy something in the 2.5 lb range one of these days when I am traveling many miles for a few gigs. I sold my FM3 for an FM9, so FM3 woudn't be my go-to. It's easy to carry, but trains/planes/buses in Europe with that in my backpack or carry-on wouldn't thrill me :)

I‘d prefer an FM0 or Axe-FX „light“. A compact desktop unit without foot switches, with I/O and DSP like the FM9 - perfect for the home studio musician. ;-)

Based on my humble opinion as user of course, like all the others in this thread. That is why I wrote my reasoning in my post. If I had any fact it would mean I was part of Fractal staff and I’m obviously not.

Profiling is super overrated imo. Unless you have a bunch of rare, expensive amps laying around that you want to profile (and that will probably have mixed results).
Profiling is still the best, most accurate option for anyone that wants a digital version of their specific amp--and who have decided to never adjust any controls ever again. 🤓

Based on my humble opinion as user of course, like all the others in this thread. That is why I wrote my reasoning in my post. If I had any fact it would mean I was part of Fractal staff and I’m obviously not.
I think maybe the use of the word "fragmented" wasn't warranted. FAS has thoughtfully built this product line to support users with varying needs and to, with some limitations, go seamlessly from one platform to the next.

I think maybe the use of the word "fragmented" wasn't warranted. FAS has thoughtfully built this product line to support users with varying needs and to, with some limitations, go seamlessly from one platform to the next.
Substitute "carefully planned" for "fragmented" and I think he's got it

FX III overkill for most of people not profesional or in studio, you need a pedalboard to use it live, pretty expensive including both.
Sorry, but I don't agree at all.

The rig the Axe Fx and foot controller replaced cost at least as much... And it has way more potential.

I know it's your opinion, but when you say "for most people" then you're asserting that opinion onto others.

Back
Top Bottom