Wich one sounds best /FW 9.02 or real amps

I listened extensively and they both sound as good as each other to me i'm afraid. :?

It's hard to say, I think the Axe sounds a tad clearer and less gainy than the other one, so I guess more hi-fi in a way. But that could probably be altered a million ways in mixing. Both sound great to me. I guess some might want less of that hi-fi vibe in a song like this, so in that case maybe go for the real amp version... but we're definately splitting hairs, as both sound incredibly good, and very similar!

Sup?
They both sound great in their own way,,I think the better way for you to compare this would be in a Blind taste test though.

As far as that goes, I prefer the 2nd one. it sounds more Finished, and blends itself into the production. the first one sounds great too and has that raw upfront sound to it.

just my .02 :mrgreen:

MOSHON
DAVE

The second clip sounds like a finished project.
The first one sounds like a project before the mix.

Of course both are very good, the only way to really choose is to have both of them mastered... then listen... my guess is that by then they will sound identical.

;)

The real amps sound muddier than the Axe-Fx version. If you'd have me as an engineer I could remove that mud and we'd have a fair comparison. ;)

Thank´s guys .
I know it´s not a really fair comparison The rythm guitars sound pretty different to each other.
I used (sort of hard-rock) boogie-type of sound for the real amps and plexi (more bluesy )for the axe sound.
I think i did that because that´s the sound I can´get(easy) with my real amps .

I think that this firmware took a big step towards a real amps sound.
(mayby even all the way there)

Thomas

I much prefer the first one. They both sound great though. I just like how it mix in and the vibe of the first one.

I liked the first one.. Sounds more in-your-face or something. And the mix sounds a little louder and punchier, on the first one??

Thomas, they were both very good, but I did like one better. As one of the first guys to speak to you about and try to convince you to buy an AXE FX, it may seem strange for me to say this... But, I have to admit that I liked your "real amps" version a little better. Not because I don't think that the AXE FX can't give you the same thing. I just preferred the rawness of the guitars in that demo. Maybe the guitars were mixed louder in that version? It also seemed as if you you had less gain on the AXE FX guitars. Maybe choosing a different model might fatten it up, as well. Again, they were both very close and both sounded good. But, based on those 2 clips, I liked the sound of the first one slightly more.

You have some mojo on the first one take; more hair on the guitar tones that fit the song better IMHO. The second take is great too; but the guitars are too clean and lack that edgy thing that make the first take work better for me.

IMHO, YMMV.

Great song by the way.

Kriig said:
I liked the first one.. Sounds more in-your-face or something. And the mix sounds a little louder and punchier....

+1

The real amps clip sounded livelier and punchier (and I listened to both clips without knowing which was which so my opinion wouldn't be biased).

Nice tune.
I think the Axe-FX would be able to get the same sounds, but I like the real amps version more too. Guitars are definitely louder in the mix (so are bass and drums!) and have a bit rougher edges that gives it a livelier vibe.
It's not the quality of the tone. Both are top notch. Probably the Axe could nail that vibe too. I'd like to hear the second one with stronger guitars and more bass, more drums... Maybe just less vocals and more volume. :lol:

After listening more closely, did you master them differently? The real amps version is noticably louder with the same level vocals. Just more energy that way.

When are you going to blow the whistle and declare that you switched the labels? Or that they're both Axe-FX?

Well , I don´t now exactly how I did everything . I used different compressors on the mix I think .
The guitar levels mayby are diffrent as well . I think the biggest differense could be the type of sound.
I will try som heavier sound on the axe tonight .

Thomas

The real amps sound better. I would say that using one over the other is not the answer either. I would use both axe fx and the real amps for different situations. I did some recording this weekend with my real Vox AC30 and axe fx bb pedal and wrecker(great combination). I found great use for both on the same song and found they really complimented each other. A lot has to do also with who is tweaking the knobs on the desk to get the guitars to sit right in the mix also. Best of luck with the rest of your recording.

Aren't we an honest bunch. Dissing the Axe in favor of real amps.

No digital prejudice here.

Back
Top Bottom