Why the Axe FX 2 sucks...

Because I don't have to set foot in any guitar stores for amps or pedals ever again. My wife is very happy.

Guitars are a whole other story though...

I know what you mean. I went to get my guitars appraised on Wednesday, and I was telling them, that I hadn't been in a guitar store for years. So yesterday I went back to the same store and bought a used guitar, an Ibanez rgt42dx for cheap. Now I have one of everything I need. A fender Tele, a fender strat, a Gibson Les Paul standard and now a Ibanez rgt42dx with their version of a Floyd rose on it. I'm set to play the clubs. Man it takes for ever to learn those Satriani songs, that dude is fast.

I knew I was in trouble when I started doing things like guitar pick shootouts just to have a reason to go.I tried getting into the frfr and studio monitor chase but firmware and ir updates ruined that as what I have keeps sounding better and better.A couple nice guitars, the axe and reaper-the only limitations now are when I look in the mirror!

Yeah, but it opens the door to being able to save money to buy *just ONE more* beautiful work of art Carvin... smh... I think I just hit 11.... smhih...

First the AxeFx relieves amp GAS. Then the MFC and a couple Mission pedals eliminate controller GAS. Next step will be a CLR to quell FRFR GAS.

I still have Parker GAS but have an EBMM to put up to subsidize the purchase. :)

After AF2 Im only eager for getting a nice tube amp (maybe a HK tubemeister or a Mesa combo), just for those cases in which you dont want to carry the precious. And want to try your classic oldschool pedalboard. Which I kept for the same ocassions.
I have no hurry whatsoever though. The only thing I lust for constantly are more guitars.
This February I got me a nice Vigier Excalibur while I was on vacations at Paris. And now Im saving up for a Suhr Modern which I'll get in two months. Then starts the saving process for a Parker nitefly. Im up to 15 guitars now. 12 which are fully functional. And 3 that need restoration since they are very old.
So yes, forget about everything else, and get over the fact that you only need more time to get familiar with the ton of fabulous amps u have within the magic box. Every amp has its own particular thing, and requires certain time to tweak and tame. Just like real life amps!
So yeah, it sucks, because now I dont go out weekends and my social life is slowly turning to none. Hehehehe.

Enjoy it while it lasts! ;)

Hehe! No kidding. It as as others have said - with the AxeFX II I no longer lust after amps, with the MFC and a few Mission pedals, I no longer lust after sfx, I've got a large stable of custom guitars built to my spec... I look at guitar magazines and stores and mostly just feel sorry for those who are still waiting, deluded or on the hunt.

But, it can't last. Something's gonna come up that I can't live without.

Jim Soloway's Single '15 Gosling with 25.5 scale and wider finger style spacing completely cured my guitar gas! The wider neck and flat radius completely changed my approach to the instrument and now I can't play anything else.

My wife: "Sitting there with your headphones on the head looking into a tiny B/W, greenish telly with a grin on your face". Come back to bed, please.

Jim Soloway's Single '15 Gosling with 25.5 scale and wider finger style spacing completely cured my guitar gas! The wider neck and flat radius completely changed my approach to the instrument and now I can't play anything else.

Those look really nice. I recently built a Strat along those lines for a customer. 15" radius, 25.5" scale, 1 7/8" wide at the nut, '59 roundback. Quite a handful if you're used to a typical Strat. But, he's classically trained and just moving to electrics, so he didn't want too much of a shock. I couldn't play it well, but I can imagine if you got used to the roomy neck, you'd have trouble with anything else.

Between the Axe FX II and my Suhr Guitars, I have been ruined when it comes to guitar stores.

There is not an amp I can try that has a chance at sounding better, and not a guitar I can pickup that is going to feel as right.

This is exactly my case...

My mailman and UPS driver both have asked whats up since I got the Axe II because I'm no longer getting what was a pretty steady stream of pedals being delivered each and every week. I'm sure my computer web browser also has to be wondering why I'm not checking TGP classifieds every waking hour and spending all evening searching Ebay.

I pretty much feel that I can replicate most any pedal or amp sound in the Axe, at least to the point where I can't justify dropping money on one after already spending so much on the Axe II. Also find I'm a little less picky about tone, spending more time playing and less time sitting there knob twiddling and noting the sonic differences between 5 different models of Big Muff (and feeling I naturally need a 6th) Now its pretty much just select the effect, tweak some knobs til it sounds good (who really cares about matching an exact model, I just want the tone) and start playing.

Also no more hours spend with patch cables and a notebook trying different connections and noting down knob values and then tearing it all apart and trying something else. Fun for sure, but I do find it pretty nice just pressing a button and having all my routings and settings all instantly recalled

Back
Top Bottom