Why should I switch from the MFC+EXT4MFC to the RJM MMGT22?

I'm a long time MIDI controller junkie.
That's why I picked the RJM. Even though it's expensive, haven't regret it one single second.
It allows to me to program my workflow the way I want, no limits.
FASLINK, yes, would be nice. But my 7-pin MIDI + phantom power works well too. Still a single cable.
I'm playing in a couple of bands. And scene names do help me playing and remembering all the different songs and song parts.

I got a Liquid Foot LF+ Pro+. It is pretty comparable to the Mastermind except 600 bucks less. It is bad ass. I have no MIDI experience but have found the help out there. GotMetalBoy put a Wiki paper together that is incredible. . You can do so much more than you can with the MFC. The MFC feels more heavy duty but that is only cause it is made of steel. The LF is Aluminum. The editor is cool and free. I have the MFC with the extension from Roadrunner and I love that. I am doing thins with he LF that I could never do with the MFC. Dont get me wrong, The MFC is a perfect companion the the Axe but the LF and GT take it to another level. The new LF X-16 is gonna step it up even more.

I don't know, 1900$ is way above my budget but hopefully I will find a good deal for the GT22.

Thank's guys.

When you are ready to buy post a WTB in the classified section, that is how I got a killer deal on my GT22 and there were several others offering me similar deals.

There are other options similar to FasLink. Prostage.eu have got their StageWire products available long before FasLink arrived. Of course this would mean two extra peripheral devices in regard to costs and footprint. Still an option though.

I still haven't made time to customize mine completely, but I'm back to minimal guitar time again temporarily.

Mine has finally cleared customs over here in the UK. It took over a week I still can't believe it took so long. I've paid the import charges and it will be delivered tomorrow. I finally have midi controller for my AXE FX. Can't wait. Next will be the pedalboard, mission pedals and phantom power box.

Faslink is the greatest invention ever. Only one cord on stage, robust and secure as anything available.

7 pin midi has been out for ages, and has never failed me. still using the first cord I made (locking 7pin xlr, and regular 7pin).

I have the lfpro 12+ and I love the lcds. I will say that you get used to clicking certain buttons for things (without lcds), and now that the button functionality can change it takes a bit to get used to. muscle memory changing things no longer applies.

Johan, the whole per-preset switching assigns, IMO, was addressed with Scenes. I can do exactly what you do on the MMGT (per-preset X/Y Delay, Drive, Amp, etc assign) by properly planning my presets, and then only having to deal with 1 to 8 (only 1 of my presets has 5 Scene assigns, most only use 3) switches. I set them up in order from beginning of song to end, so no scribble strips to fail at some point are necessary, and easy to remember "intro 1, verse 2, chorus 3, solo 4, chorus/whatever 5" Scene changes which I can do without even looking down.

I am a working musician in multiple bands, with multiple setlists. I make all my presets per song, and setup setlists for each gig, which takes a little work, but makes everything super easy and super manageable in the long run (and, IMO, fool-proofs what could go wrong, eliminates the band waiting for me to find a song so we can jump instantly from song to song and saves wear-and-tear on the majority of switches on the MFC- I also use a Bright Onion 4 switch extension set-up for Scenes 1-4, which handles the majority of my stepping during the night and therefore saving my MFC switch wear even further). All I do is scroll up through the setlist as we go, then use the Scene switches, literally using only 8 switches for an entire show. The MFC Edit software was a godsend, and makes building and importing setlists a breeze and super fast.

Scenes, MFC Edit and FASlink make the MFC a no-brainer for me. :)

Johan, the whole per-preset switching assigns, IMO, was addressed with Scenes. I can do exactly what you do on the MMGT (per-preset X/Y Delay, Drive, Amp, etc assign) by properly planning my presets, and then only having to deal with 1 to 8 (only 1 of my presets has 5 Scene assigns, most only use 3) switches. I set them up in order from beginning of song to end, so no scribble strips to fail at some point are necessary, and easy to remember "intro 1, verse 2, chorus 3, solo 4, chorus/whatever 5" Scene changes which I can do without even looking down.

I am a working musician in multiple bands, with multiple setlists. I make all my presets per song, and setup setlists for each gig, which takes a little work, but makes everything super easy and super manageable in the long run (and, IMO, fool-proofs what could go wrong, eliminates the band waiting for me to find a song so we can jump instantly from song to song and saves wear-and-tear on the majority of switches on the MFC- I also use a Bright Onion 4 switch extension set-up for Scenes 1-4, which handles the majority of my stepping during the night and therefore saving my MFC switch wear even further). All I do is scroll up through the setlist as we go, then use the Scene switches, literally using only 8 switches for an entire show. The MFC Edit software was a godsend, and makes building and importing setlists a breeze and super fast.

Scenes, MFC Edit and FASlink make the MFC a no-brainer for me.

There’s no chance that you can exactly what I do on the MMGT. You have found a way to work your MFC that works for you and that’s great, and similar to what I did when I had the MFC has well. But it's far away from what I do!

Just one simple example from what you wrote above that I can do with the MMGT that you can’t with the MFC - on the preset with 5 scenes, I can have 5 scene IA's, on the preset with 3 scenes I can have 3 scene IA's. On your MFC and extension switch, you can still press scene 4 on a preset that only have 3 scenes, on the same preset with the MMGT, the scene 4 button will simply not be there. Is this a big problem, probably not. But it's one of many things that's different and more convenient on the MMGT and once you've gotten used to individual screens it's something you'll never want to be without ever again.

I need UP / DOWN, plus access to five presets and five scenes. For 99% of my gigs, this would handle everything I need. I love the MFC-101, and make use of all the buttons, but the flight case for my pedalboard is the biggest item in my cartage. I'd like to go smaller.

I would like to go smaller as well. I wish that the MMGT/10 had the same basic layout as the MMGT/16 so it would have been possible to fit it on a Pedaltrain Jr with one Mission Engineering pedal and one knob.

mmgt10_ptjr.png

I like the idea behind the big MM GT, but if I compare the price with - say - an up to date digital mixer i think the MM GT is way to pricey!
Think about it: a digital mixer (i.e. like a Roland M-480) is about 3000$; it has a big touch screen, tons of text and color editable labels, tons of switches, knobs, encoders, motorized faders, tons of softwares and sub-softwares running in it, tons of pre inputs and outputs, all kind of I/O analog and digital link, tons of AD/DA converters, tons of functions... etc...
So more than 1/3 of the price of a mixer like that only for a midi pedalboard to me is way to much!

roland can price their gear much cheaper than a small company like RJM due to economies of scale. the MMGT is worth every penny, though it is expensive.

Back
Top Bottom