Why should I switch from the MFC+EXT4MFC to the RJM MMGT22?

Roadrunner

Power User
The question is for you guys running the biggest version of RJM mastermind GT, the one with 22 switches.
I'm currently using the MFC-101 MKIII + my EXT4MFC (4 switch expansion) giving me the total of 21 free assigned switches (I'm not counting the system switches - REVEAL, EDIT, UP, DOWN).
Compared to RJM 22, I have "only" 20 free assigned switches (without counting UP and DOWN switches and without adding an external expansion as I don’t have space in my pedal board and I will not custom manufacture one).

Why yes - The RJM is a cool board, it has USB connectivity + free PC software, display for each switch, a big and comfortable main display, pedal power output (no need here), option for "pages" (doubt if I ever use it).
Why not - The RJM is so expensive.

So, I have some info about the RJM22, and I do want one but just can't find the reason to justify spending so much money for this.

For you guys who switched from the MFC to the RJM22, what was the main factor for doing that?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The RJM has "pages" which means switch functionality can be assigned to more than one thing. So yea, physically switches are on par, but virtual switches are much greater than on the MFC. See yek's video to observe it in action. It's really only something you can do if you have the LCD screens above each switch. Otherwise you'd never be able to remember what the switches did as you moved through pages on the RJM IMO.

It also supports long press/short press functionality on every switch. That's pretty powerful.

I love the MFC. It's a fantastic controller, purpose built for the Axe-Fx. You can plug in the MFC and have a ton of control with very little tweaking or additional setup. The RJM is what you get when you build a no-compromise generic controller. A lot of power, but you've got to be willing to learn a lot to wield it.

If you are happy with what you have no need to switch but to satisfy curiosity download the editor

I wanted the cool factor of the LCDs, killer deal showed up so jumped on it figuring could flip if didn't care for it

Couple challenges that helped me justify:
-7 character song names were killing me
-approaching 100 song limit

Here are a few of my favorites outside the obvious LCDs:
-Longer song names (OMG, yes!) & more songs then I'll ever use
-Hold functions... ie. hold to toggle X/Y state, yes we can!
-Access to the full 768 presets on the XL units
-Pages
-Tuner is very responsive
-Insane flexibility, I feel like I could control a small country with these
-USB editing
-Switches are field replaceable

Don't get me wrong, I think the MFC is great... hell even made an editor and still have a couple
The RJM GT units however are just better match for my current needs

Consider the switch functions in the AX8 plus the scribble screens and pages. Those are the primary pros, IMO. The other things mentioned are icing on the cake. It will take me the rest of my life to get everything out of Axe FX II and GT22.

The one and only con is the price, but that is certainly justified.

So what we're saying if Fractal made an equivalent controller with faslink, they would sell a boatload. I'm on board. I would also love a board with the switches spaced out, just a little more. I'm always switching a preset instead of turning a drive on on the second row. I learn to adjust, that why I buy pointy shoes.

I don't get the obsession with LCD scribble text when I don't even use labels on my MFC. I program my switches so I know what they do. Can't/won't stop to read anything when I'm playing.

Wow, a lot to think of…

The RJM has "pages" which means switch functionality can be assigned to more than one thing.

It also supports long press/short press functionality on every switch. That's pretty powerful.

-Longer song names (OMG, yes!) & more songs then I'll ever use
-Hold functions... ie. hold to toggle X/Y state, yes we can!
-Access to the full 768 presets on the XL units
-Pages
-Tuner is very responsive
-USB editing
-Switches are field replaceable

Yap, that's what makes me want a GT22.

Yeah, but don't you guys wish you had fastlink on that bad boy.

Faslink is the greatest invention ever. Only one cord on stage, robust and secure as anything available.

This is something I would really miss over the GT22 if I will go there, the FAS Link is what you need as a gigging guitarist, I once had a gig over this club where the stage is outdoor and was pretty big.
Anyway, I had my Axe rack sitting on top of my 2 2x12 behind me and the pedalboard with MFC ended up really far from it on the front where the XLR (9-11 ft) I had as standard for the FAS link was just too short as I had to go around the stage so I won't be crossing it and hit it wile "doing my thing" during the gig.
Just asked our sound guy for 2 more long XLR's, quickly connected to my XLR = end of story.
That’s what makes it so powerful, the ability to make it longer where ever you are + only 3 pins! Cliff you are genius, but you already know that. :)

Is Faslink any better than 5 or 7 pin midi then?
Yes! because what I have mentioned above.

So what we're saying if Fractal made an equivalent controller with faslink, they would sell a boatload. I'm on board. I would also love a board with the switches spaced out, just a little more.
Exactly what i have I mind, just a slightly more spaced board with 4-8 more switches.

I don't get the obsession with LCD scribble text when I don't even use labels on my MFC. I program my switches so I know what they do. Can't/won't stop to read anything when I'm playing.

It's not that you actually stop to read it but a quick glance and you know exactly where you are, plus the GT22 screens make it easy changing switches functionality when you need it and I sure do change things from time to time according to the current show / gig we are running.

I don't know, 1900$ is way above my budget but hopefully I will find a good deal for the GT22.

Thank's guys.

Wow, a lot to think of…

Yap, that's what makes me want a GT22.

This is something I would really miss over the GT22 if I will go there, the FAS Link is what you need as a gigging guitarist, I once had a gig over this club where the stage is outdoor and was pretty big.
Anyway, I had my Axe rack sitting on top of my 2 2x12 behind me and the pedalboard with MFC ended up really far from it on the front where the XLR (9-11 ft) I had as standard for the FAS link was just too short as I had to go around the stage so I won't be crossing it and hit it wile "doing my thing" during the gig.
Just asked our sound guy for 2 more long XLR's, quickly connected to my XLR = end of story.
That’s what makes it so powerful, the ability to make it longer where ever you are + only 3 pins! Cliff you are genius, but you already know that. :)

Yes! because what I have mentioned above.

Exactly what i have I mind, just a slightly more spaced board with 4-8 more switches.

It's not that you actually stop to read it but a quick glance and you know exactly where you are, plus the GT22 screens make it easy changing switches functionality when you need it and I sure do change things from time to time according to the current show / gig we are running.

I don't know, 1900$ is way above my budget but hopefully I will find a good deal for the GT22.

Thank's guys.

It's even more cash over here in the UK. In fact there's no UK dealer my nearest is Germany and its coming out over £1600 which is around $2400. I'm sure it will be worth every penny but its still a lot to pay out.

Have you tried MFC-Edit? Maybe that could help. Anyways, when gas attacks there's only one cure!

A standard XLR cable is far, far more durable than any 7-pin MIDI cable out there. Even Ether-Con cables need to be babied.

The MMGT 22 can actually use a 6 pin XLR cable so that should be equivalent. I have the MMGT/16 and don't have that option so 7 pin midi cables for me. And to answer the earlier question if I wished I had FASlink instead and yes, that would be ideal from a convenience point of view but since the Axe Fx doesn't have enough power to drive the MMGT it would never work even if it would be possible to reverse engineer the connection.

And yes, MFC Edit is an excellent editor. It's easy enough to use, but makes the hard stuff much simpler. Use an MFC-101? Get MFC Edit.

I have the MMGT/16 and even that is far, far more flexible that the MFC even with fewer buttons. The biggest annoyance to me is that every choice on the MFC is a global one. Do you have one preset with two drive blocks you want to stomp on, now you need to commit to having two drive IAs everywhere. So in regards to the comment in the OP that the switches are freely assignable, that is simply not true. In the MMGT they are truly freely assignable but in the MFC they are assignable but not freely as they can never change between presets. Obviously this may or may not be a problem for you but it used to bug the hell out of me looking to use things like XY switching for something like a Delay, that's another global commitment on the MFC where's on the MMGT I can use this on one preset if I want without affecting any other, or I can easily use the switch and hold function to make the Delay button dual purpose. I don't really use a lot of effects but they do change between songs and presets, so if the IAs where indeed freely assignable in the MFC it would probably have worked well for me, having something like MOD1 and MOD2 IAs that could be changed between Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Tremolo, Rotary, ... on a per preset basis, I could have used 2 buttons instead of 5, or I would probably just have used 1 Modulation button instead of 5. Obviously none of this is a problem with the MMGT. Given the immense flexibility of the Axe Fx 2, the MFC by comparison just feels like a very and strangely limited companion in a very un-fractal way. The MMGT is to me an extremely flexible companion to the Axe Fx 2 that feels a lot more "fractal like" than the MFC, even with FASlink.

In terms of concerns over having the board change all the time. To me it actually makes everything even more easy to use. Obviously you want to keep the same basic format between presets and there's nothing stopping you from having a Lead boost button at the same place all the time. But using song presets with scenes, it's just so much better having the labels read Intro, Verse, Chorus, Lead, than Scene 1, 2, 3, 4. Especially since at least I also use a lot of generic presets where the labels instead read something like Clean, Edge, Rhythm, Heavy, Lead, Lead+Delay. Obviously it's easy with the MMGT to use 6 scenes on one preset and 4 on the other, or whatever you want.

Anyway, I think I've made my point clear. I am going to buy the AX8 as soon as possible and I really hope that the screen with the labels on the screen is going to be flexible enough to not be annoying, and I think it will.

Back
Top Bottom