Why not accept paypal?

FrostByte

I bought a used ultra about a year ago but decided to use it as backup and buy a brand new one with warranty as my main unit. Emailed Fractal on Monday, they said they'd have some available Tuesday, they actually came up available in the middle of the day yesterday. My card was declined because it has a $2000 transaction limit :( By the time I got home to transfer money from one account to another, they were out of Ultras again. Had I been able to use paypal, there would not have been an issue. Any reason for this or any plans to change in the future?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I've managed a retail business for 7 years and owned 2 of my own businesses :D I know better than that! About the same, if anything credit cards are more.

If I had to venture a guess, it's either because of fees or because Paypal will randomly lock your account to "verify funds" if you do a lot of high dollar transactions. This is actually how Paypal makes a lot of their money. At any given point, they have several million dollars sitting in their bank accounts, which is "being verified for fraud prevention purposes" gathering interest. My friend owns a drum shop with a lot of online business and it happens to him constantly.

Yes, yes but... I want you close to MY bank account :D

Are there any alternatives if my other card had a low spending limit too? I'm not sure what it is...

What I normally do for big purchases is call my bank and have them bump the limit for a day. I've never run into any issues with it. "I'm trying to make a purchase of exactly XXXX. Can you bump my limit up so it goes through and then put it back down again"? "No problem. Give it 15 mins and then try again".

I don't understand why people hate it so much. In about 3 years time I did $70,000 worth of sales with paypal without a single issue. Every time I've had an issue, buying or selling, they were prompt to help me out and make it right.

For many years I've basically used it as my primary bank account. Between the money market and the cash back on debit card purchases, it's a better deal than any checking account I've ever looked into.

Maybe you guys can elaborate?

Because they abuse their customers by freezing money in the account without notice? I mean, it'd suck for Cliff if PayPal freezes $200K in the account without explanation.

I've managed a retail business for 7 years and owned 2 of my own businesses :D I know better than that! About the same, if anything credit cards are more.

Pay-Pal is definitely higher, you need to get a better deal.
Even if if you are a small volume dealer you can get better rates by joining Costco merchant services.

And as said, Pay-Pal sucks.
They are not a traditional bank so some regulations don't apply to them
and this lets them get away with all kind of nasty stuff like freezing accounts,
holding funds, demanding all kind of information and so on.

;)

Yes, yes but... I want you close to MY bank account :D

Are there any alternatives if my other card had a low spending limit too? I'm not sure what it is...

Hmm... lets see, Cashiers Check or Wire Transfer, I'm sure Fractal will accept them gladly.

:idea

Pay-Pal is definitely higher, you need to get a better deal.
Even if if you are a small volume dealer you can get better rates by joining Costco merchant services.

And as said, Pay-Pal sucks.
They are not a traditional bank so some regulations don't apply to them
and this lets them get away with all kind of nasty stuff like freezing accounts,
holding funds, demanding all kind of information and so on.

;)

Cliff accepts Discover... need I say more? :D The fees aren't the problem.

The store I manage is part of a $10,000,000,000 fortune 500 company, I'm sure they get a pretty good deal. I see the credit card charges on my P&L report every month, right on par with paypal's 3%... Unless it's Discover, AmEx, or Wright Express, then it's significantly more.

Wait a minute...

Frostbyte said:
In about 3 years time I did $70,000 worth of sales with paypal without a single issue. Every time I've had an issue, buying or selling, they were prompt to help me out and make it right.
Which is it? Issues or issues that have been resolved?

Frostbyte said:
he store I manage is part of a $10,000,000,000 fortune 500 company, I'm sure they get a pretty good deal. I see the credit card charges on my P&L report every month, right on par with paypal's 3%.
Then surely you are resourceful enough to come up with a way to use an acceptable form of payment on the fractal site.

Wait a minute...

Which is it? Issues or issues that have been resolved?

Issues with bad buyers and sellers, paypal always got me my money back and had my back when I was in the right on a selling deal. There were 3 instances where I sent out my product and the seller claimed they never received it, a simple tracking number to paypal and problem solved. A few instances I didn't get what I paid for, paypal got my money back to me. Never had an issue with paypal themselves.

Then surely you are resourceful enough to come up with a way to use an acceptable form of payment on the fractal site.

Sorry but it's just frustrating. I saved up that money and I couldn't purchase the product I wanted. Now I play the waiting, add to cart, game.

Last edited:
Personaly p/pal have helped me a lot in my dealings, and especially with non-delivery of goods, or bad items. We must all speak as we find. Even the banks get loads of complaints,there is no perfect system, because the honest majority are getting screwed by the evil bastards who want to rip them off.

Back
Top Bottom