Why no discount for badly scratched and rusted guitars?

some of y'all are a trip for real, lol. It's a finish option. I mean let's just let all the guitars stay unfinished wood, since that's most realistic. Never seen a Candy Apple Red Sparkle tree, also never seen one with double-binding.

I dig the eyeballs in the pickup cavity haha.

I tend to baby my stuff. Try to keep it in pristine condition. But I figure to each their own. I have a buddy who took a blow torch to his brand new LPC. Lots of “moron” comments to be had. But hey, it’s his guitar and that’s how he wanted it.

Haha...yeah my daughter wasn't too happy when I carved the eyeballs out of one of her baby dolls and now says that guitar looks scary. It is a mij rg470 that was in pieces I got for 50 bucks. Got 100 in it. I have 8 RGs. Most I keep in decent shape. Always looking for parts tho to slap together another rat rod RG tho.

I have a PRS Goldtop with finish checking, dings and some worming on the back, all of which was genuinely earned from years of roadwork, prior to when I got it. I gave it a good home and a lot of TLC to return it to its glossy state. It sings and is funky but it has street cred. And it’ll stick you if piss it off. :)

I have a Strat-like guitar that was deliberately stressed by its builder that I got in a trade for one of my guitars. I didn’t really want it but I wanted the other guitar less than the guy who initiated the trade. So, it sat, largely neglected, for a while, then I decided to see what I could do with it. After a pickup swap and adjusting the neck and action, it’s turned out to be a good copy of an early 60s Strat and can really rock.

If people want a damaged/stressed finish, fine, it’s their thing. If they played the hell out of it and they wore it that way, that’s fine too. It’s not for me to judge. I take the best care of my guitars that I can because they are good tools.

Don’t take to it heart, guys and girls. I’m just messing with you. I, in turn, take all the doctor and lawyer PRS joking in stride. It’s all in good fun. My guitars are beautiful, but they were all paid for with hard earned gig money... I guess the relic-ing shows more on me!

Play what you think looks cool and inspires you. That’s what it’s all about.

I agree...have fun with it. Just don't completely butcher it and expect to sell it.
I found pics of the "strandberg" RG... interesting idea. I could never bring myself to hack up an RG with hand tools. Looks like it didn't sell. I should send this to fluff for his ridiculous reverb listings.

I do like the color scheme tho.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505-174042.png
    Screenshot_20210505-174042.png
    489.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20210505-174025.png
    Screenshot_20210505-174025.png
    458.3 KB · Views: 17
  • typjqmmzr9txuzr6mxpf.jpg
    typjqmmzr9txuzr6mxpf.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 18
  • triha1jticgfdhvgnm03.jpg
    triha1jticgfdhvgnm03.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 18
To me its like stolen valor, guys dressing up as a soldier. A guitar's dings and nicks and scratches should tell a story. Your story, or the one from whom you bought it. Not some guitar employee having a field day with the CNC or some chains.

To me I'd be meh. A car is like a guitar. It's gonna get some dings or scratches along the way. Having said there's no way in hell I'm going to buy a pre-scratched car. Unless its a used one at a considerable discount.

Nitro is truly the worst finish. I'll take oil, lacquer or poly ANY TIME over nitro. Also not the most healthy in applying. But hey, Leo Fender used in 1957 and we all know Leo got EVERYTHING right the first time. So nitro is still with us to this day.

You're gonna need something, otherwise your body's oil and grime are going to much it real soon.

My JEM is beat to shit, nearly a quarter of a century being played to hell and back, I don’t remember where more than half the dings and scratches came from because I was wasted when they occurred. The best story for the hypothetical grandkids would be, “You see this here? This is where Grandpa Drew was drinkin’ out of a half-gallon of vodka on stage one night and banged it on a chair when I was climbing on a table. Or this one over here, this is the one your Uncle Brian put in it when HE was drinkin’ out of a half gallon of vodka. But this one over here, well this one is real special, this is where I went to put it on a stand and it banged into the bottom of the stand.”

It’s a f*ckin’ guitar, not a Veteran fighting for his country and freedom. There’s no lives lost over it or families notified when it dies in action. To compare it to someone putting their life on the line for their country is hyperbole of the highest sense and is rather diminishing of actual members of the armed services and veterans, who have a hell of a lot more balls than I do as a simple guitar player.

Would I buy a relic: Yes absolutely! IF the feel, tone, quality etc is better than a comparable non-relic. I met many people and asked them why they bought relic'd guitars. One person simply said "It sounded better than the others they had" and I couldn't say anything against that

Would I buy a relic: Yes absolutely! IF the feel, tone, quality etc is better than a comparable non-relic. I met many people and asked them why they bought relic'd guitars. One person simply said "It sounded better than the others they had" and I couldn't say anything against that
Except I'd still wish it wasn't relic'd, just used looking.

Yes I only like relics that look like real vintage guitars. Nash look like a four year old got hold of the belt sander .
Nearly everyone that offers aging has guitars that run the gamut between natural and belt sander. There’s been quite a few MB Fenders where I wondered why they bothered to put paint on it at all.

Nearly everyone that offers aging has guitars that run the gamut between natural and belt sander. There’s been quite a few MB Fenders where I wondered why they bothered to put paint on it at all.
That's really hard to get to look right. The early tribute Rory Gallagher and SRV Strats were terrible.

Fender was also caught using stencils to achieve the wear, which is quite lame on a guitar over $1000. It’s like they realized they were going too far with relic’ing and their method of dialing it back was to make everything uniform across the board, which is certainly not the way guitars get beat up.

As much as I see gripes with relics as one of the silliest things to take issue with, I do agree that there are a ton of terrible looking relics out there within all price ranges. Some of the cheaper Road Worns I’ve seen have looked considerably better than a handmade CS model.

Fender was also caught using stencils to achieve the wear, which is quite lame on a guitar over $1000. It’s like they realized they were going too far with relic’ing and their method of dialing it back was to make everything uniform across the board, which is certainly not the way guitars get beat up.

As much as I see gripes with relics as one of the silliest things to take issue with, I do agree that there are a ton of terrible looking relics out there within all price ranges. Some of the cheaper Road Worns I’ve seen have looked considerably better than a handmade CS model.
I've seen a couple of good bodies but the necks are terrible . You need Master built before they get good . The templates are actually masks to prevent the need for scraping too much to get to the wood. On a heavy relic with a lot of wood showing you would need to do it this way. The mistake was keep using the same pattern.

Yeah, I suppose it depends on what it is they’re looking to achieve. If it’s an artist replica, a stencil would make sense so they’re all as close as they can be to what they’re attempting to replicate. On something that’s marketed as/supposed to be a one-off that approach would be pretty poor form.

I agree. Anything beyond light aging tends to quickly turn me off. But I also don’t think it’s different than nearly any other aspect when it comes to the aesthetics of a guitar. A B.C. Rich Warlock looks terrible to me, but to someone else it’s the pinnacle of class in the realm of guitars. LOL

Yeah, I suppose it depends on what it is they’re looking to achieve. If it’s an artist replica, a stencil would make sense so they’re all as close as they can be to what they’re attempting to replicate. On something that’s marketed as/supposed to be a one-off that approach would be pretty poor form.

I agree. Anything beyond light aging tends to quickly turn me off. But I also don’t think it’s different than nearly any other aspect when it comes to the aesthetics of a guitar. A B.C. Rich Warlock looks terrible to me, but to someone else it’s the pinnacle of class in the realm of guitars. LOL

Exactly.

highlight_char_2966035555_overview.jpg

Cool guitar, but every one of them looks the same. It's a template job. I'm still trying to come to terms with MiM Fenders being over $1000 now, but I guess that's the way it is. I've not heard anyone say anything bad about the Pro-Mods.

I actually want one to be honest.

Last edited:

Hahahaha I’ve got a buddy who is a HARDCORE BCR fan and the dude has quite the impressive collection of vintage BCR’s. They’re the world to him and he LOVES the shapes. I actually spent about 6 years tracking down a cheaper BCR for nostalgia, turned out, this forum’s own Iron1 had one he was looking to sell, same year and model as my very first guitar!

Hahahaha I’ve got a buddy who is a HARDCORE BCR fan and the dude has quite the impressive collection of vintage BCR’s. They’re the world to him and he LOVES the shapes. I actually spent about 6 years tracking down a cheaper BCR for nostalgia, turned out, this forum’s own Iron1 had one he was looking to sell, same year and model as my very first guitar!
Haha I hear you on the nostalgia. When I started playing guitar I was about 10 years old, so it was 1988 or so. The music store my folks would take me to for lessons had a ton of Warlocks and Ironbirds in different neon colors hanging on the wall and I thought they were the absolute coolest guitars ever at the time. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately? Lol) my father played and the vast majority of guitars I wound up with around that time period were ones he wanted and could tell my mother, “no, I bought it for Brian!” B.C. Rich was NOT on his radar. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom