Why no discount for badly scratched and rusted guitars?

I wish they developed a finish that fades fast or scratches easily.
So you'd be actually have the ability to relic it yourself just by playing it.
The polyurethane finish is hard as a rock and won't thin out unless you play with wristbands of sandpaper.
My EJ strat is nitro. I'm afraid to leave it on a guitar stand.

There's another story that goes: it was stolen then found in a ditch all beat up a week later. I tend to believe that story, because if you look at old pictures of it, the wear appeared on the guitar somewhat suddenly.
It's not one story or the other, it's both combined.

I wish they developed a finish that fades fast or scratches easily.
So you'd be actually have the ability to relic it yourself just by playing it.
The polyurethane finish is hard as a rock and won't thin out unless you play with wristbands of sandpaper.

You want a satin finish.

Man, I remember one time, we were playing a gig at some dive bar in Fall River, MA....the band onstage before us, the guitar player was playing a Road Worn Strat that was all beat up, I got so jealous because ALL the hottest chicks were standing in front of him saying stuff like, “Oh my god, he’s amazing! You can just tell how much he cares about playing, look at his guitar! I wish I were that guitar!” And even more so, I could tell the guy had only been playing for like a week, but man, that guitar just SANG and gave him this ability to pull off EJ/Gilmour/SRV/Hendrix/Hooker/King/Clapton all at once.....it was really remarkable.

That’s precisely the crap that runs through my head every time I hear someone say that someone is playing a relic for “cred”.

NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE gives a shit about a guitar’s finish accept for other guitar players. It has absolutely nothing to do with the sounds that come out of it or the “credibility’ of the person playing it. They’re either a competent musician or they aren’t. The finish of their guitar has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Back when I started playing, all the older guitar players I knew would always say “It doesn’t matter what a guitar looks like, it’s what you can do with it that counts.”, which is a stark contrast with what seems to be the case today, with the older generation now getting worked up over how a guitar looks and not paying attention to what’s coming out of it at all.

Interesting times.

I dislike the relic thing. Feels like people trying to buy "cred".
To me its like stolen valor, guys dressing up as a soldier. A guitar's dings and nicks and scratches should tell a story. Your story, or the one from whom you bought it. Not some guitar employee having a field day with the CNC or some chains.

I am wondering if guitar relic lovers feel the same joy when their brand new car is scratched

View attachment 82803
To me I'd be meh. A car is like a guitar. It's gonna get some dings or scratches along the way. Having said there's no way in hell I'm going to buy a pre-scratched car. Unless its a used one at a considerable discount.

My EJ strat is nitro. I'm afraid to leave it on a guitar stand.
Nitro is truly the worst finish. I'll take oil, lacquer or poly ANY TIME over nitro. Also not the most healthy in applying. But hey, Leo Fender used in 1957 and we all know Leo got EVERYTHING right the first time. So nitro is still with us to this day.

Or a stain finish without much clearcoat, if any.

You're gonna need something, otherwise your body's oil and grime are going to much it real soon.

Buddy wanted a finish that relics easy, so we recommended some.

Also, saying nitro is the worst without explaining why seems like an odd choice.

Man, I remember one time, we were playing a gig at some dive bar in Fall River, MA....the band onstage before us, the guitar player was playing a Road Worn Strat that was all beat up, I got so jealous because ALL the hottest chicks were standing in front of him saying stuff like, “Oh my god, he’s amazing! You can just tell how much he cares about playing, look at his guitar! I wish I were that guitar!” And even more so, I could tell the guy had only been playing for like a week, but man, that guitar just SANG and gave him this ability to pull off EJ/Gilmour/SRV/Hendrix/Hooker/King/Clapton all at once.....it was really remarkable.

That’s precisely the crap that runs through my head every time I hear someone say that someone is playing a relic for “cred”.

NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE gives a shit about a guitar’s finish accept for other guitar players. It has absolutely nothing to do with the sounds that come out of it or the “credibility’ of the person playing it. They’re either a competent musician or they aren’t. The finish of their guitar has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Back when I started playing, all the older guitar players I knew would always say “It doesn’t matter what a guitar looks like, it’s what you can do with it that counts.”, which is a stark contrast with what seems to be the case today, with the older generation now getting worked up over how a guitar looks and not paying attention to what’s coming out of it at all.

Interesting times.

It doesn't matter what a guitar looks like. What matters is how it sounds, if it inspires you to play/play better, and if it can become a seamless extension of your soul. I think what all of us old guys are squawking about are the ridiculous prices of trashed out looking "new" guitars. Only one I'd ever consider is an EVH frankie. That's just me tho.

Here's my favorite guitar. It's not really a relic. I scrapped off as much of the old finish to repaint it, and just never got around to it. C3971985-7284-48CD-85B7-6337CFC972CE_1_201_a.jpeg

It doesn't matter what a guitar looks like. What matters is how it sounds, if it inspires you to play/play better, and if it can become a seamless extension of your soul. I think what all of us old guys are squawking about are the ridiculous prices of trashed out looking "new" guitars. Only one I'd ever consider is an EVH frankie. That's just me tho.
I’d say what a guitar looks like directly influences everything you mention. If it inspires you to play, being an extension of you, etc.

I mean lets be real, if it didn’t matter what a guitar looked like this thread wouldn’t exist. ;)

A car scratch is not an apples to apples comparison really. A better example would be do you prefer the look of a brand new leather jacket, or the look of worn in leather? Keep in mind, you’re a poser if you didn’t put the years of wear on it yourself!

I don’t like guitars that are too perfect, aka case queens, and more than I like seeing a custom car that is never driven and just trailered from car show to car show.

guitars are meant to get played, not babied and polished constantly, just like cars are meant to get driven.

I don’t like the belt sander relic look, but I do like taking the finish off the neck, and some light wear is fine. Certainly makes one less worried about getting a little buckle rash etc. Not going to even notice lol

more power to someone who wants to pull their pristine PRS custom out of their overpriced case, just like if you want a custom trailer to haul your hot rod to a show, but I’m not into doing it.

I’ll take a rat rod with money put into a nice motor I can drive around town and not worry about swirls in the finish

I’d say what a guitar looks like directly influences everything you mention. If it inspires you to play, being an extension of you, etc.

I mean lets be real, if it didn’t matter what a guitar looked like this thread wouldn’t exist. ;)

A car scratch is not an apples to apples comparison really. A better example would be do you prefer the look of a brand new leather jacket, or the look of worn in leather? Keep in mind, you’re a poser if you didn’t put the years of wear on it yourself!
I would never buy a factory reliced guitar. The majority of my guitars battle scars are from me. Hell I've even cut more relief into my prestige RG2020x to reach the higher register, pulled all the peizo crap out of it, and still haven't replaced my broken volume knob. Lol. It plays awesome tho. The aesthetics mean nothing to me really. I rarely look at my guitar when I'm playing other than a glance at the fingerboard... especially when I'm in the zone 😉

Last edited:
Here's a couple photos:
Blue rattle can finished mij RG 470 was in horrible shape when I got it..now it's an "I"banez with an upsidedown duncan in it. Why? Why the fu@k not. 😂

Black RG 2020x prestige I've cut more relief into the cut away. Pulled all the peizo crap out of it. Put a three way mini toggle in it. Still has a volume pot with a broken stem. Notice the wear on the hardware and especially the wear in the bridge pickup cavity...that's where I anchored my pinky for about a decade.
It's been used and abused like a good tramp...but damn I still like the way she screams when I finger her.

I will "relic" my own stuff thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_111304212.jpg
    IMG_20210505_111304212.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210505_111109693.jpg
    IMG_20210505_111109693.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
In defence of the relic finish:
If you want to paint an ultra thin nitro on to raw wood or nitro sanding sealer there is no way you going to get it as perfect as a modern finish. Fender paint NOS nitro about three times as thick so that it can be flatted and buffed .Also often over a poly base coat to get a perfect smooth flat surface. A typical high quality (convincing ) relic is hardly grain filled and only super thin base coat. This is to replicate the thickness of a vintage nitro finish that has thinned and sunk over 40-70 years. Rub-throughs are inevitable if you are trying to get this flat. When you paint one of these super thin slightly sunk and less than perfect complete with uneven tinted clear it looks like shit until you age it . If you do it right it looks pretty much exactly like a 50 year old Fender. You will notice that only the very top price custom shop relics look right and this is because the shear amount of skilled time that this requires. Master Built only or you get unrealistic crap like Nash. The purpose of this is for Fender to sell new "vintage " guitars and players to get "vintage" guitars that sound great and play great without the risk of being ripped off in the minefield of the real vintage market. The last two point are that this finish sounds better than any other and many people love the look of a beat up Fender.

I dig the eyeballs in the pickup cavity haha.

I tend to baby my stuff. Try to keep it in pristine condition. But I figure to each their own. I have a buddy who took a blow torch to his brand new LPC. Lots of “moron” comments to be had. But hey, it’s his guitar and that’s how he wanted it.

Back
Top Bottom