Why is there no "Axe-Fx IIl Tone Match" section in this forum?

Remember that a tone match is nothing more than a specialized EQ.

It won't make your 6 string into a 12 string.

Exactly. Though adding some chorus can get you a 12 string like effect.

Regarding rooms - yes, anytime you are using a microphone, the room is part of the equation, as is the type of microphone and the placement of that microphone. For anyone without sound engineering experience it would be highly beneficial to pay for an hour or two at a professional studio and get a hands on lesson in mic'ing acoustic sources.

I want to try to TM my flamenco acoustic , just to see what happens
I have it Mic’d to SM57

While an sm57 will certainly work to mic an acoustic guitar and might even give a TM result that improves the on board pickup, it is not an ideal or even "recommended" mic for an acoustic guitar. But if it is all you have, give it a try. For live work, small diaphragm condensers are typically used. In the studio, small or large diaphragm condensers or ribbon mics are used.

I think acoustic guitar is one of the hardest sources to record well. It is a fairly weak source compared to drums or an electric guitar cabinet, and also, you really need some distance between the mic and the guitar, so the room really comes into play. I have spent hours finding the best spot to sit in in my room and the best spot to place different mics in this room. Even with a single microphone, it really is a game of inches in six dimensions (seven dimensions if you count microphone choice)

And without a good recording, you cannot make a good tone match

I think acoustic guitar is one of the hardest sources to record well. It is a fairly weak source compared to drums or an electric guitar cabinet, and also, you really need some distance between the mic and the guitar, so the room really comes into play. I have spent hours finding the best spot to sit in in my room and the best spot to place different mics in this room. Even with a single microphone, it really is a game of inches in six dimensions (seven dimensions if you count microphone choice)

And without a good recording, you cannot make a good tone match

So true. And if you have several acoustic guitars you will find each behaves differently. Not to mention recording an acoustic track for a sparse arrangement is different than recording an acoustic track to sit in a rock mix.

Back
Top Bottom