Why is there no "Axe-Fx IIl Tone Match" section in this forum?

trueresource

Inspired
I have found only one Axe-Fx IIl Tone Match youtube video (in english)

which I intend to use (in a few days) to create my first tone match. The tone match video maker has no step by step detail, just general. Since no one has created this section, I hope to document my experience, step by step, and post it.

I've seen statements that the axe3 tone match is the same as axe2. This is not true. I wont go into detail. For a $2500 investment, I think the 3 deserves its own section.

The first thing I have done to prep for the tone match is to purchase a mic pre amp. I spent 50 bucks for an "ART tube pre". Ill use this with my existing Shure SM57 to record a tone match wave of my Acoustic guitar.

I am currently using a peizo equiped guitar. My goal is to create an acoustic simulation for my humbucker electric. I will update here asap.

If possible, FRACTAL TEAM, please create "Axe-Fx IIl Tone Match" section in this forum and move this post there. Thanks

Are tone matches between Axe 2 and Axe 3 compatible? I thought they were similar to cabinet impulse responses in a way. I don’t know why the Axe3 wouldnt have its own ToneMatch section someday. Although if the tonematch files are interchangeable its probably easier to just have one place to go.

The Austin Buddy 1000 Naked Amp bundle has a preset... Make my guitar into an Acoustic
Save yourself the hassle

It's a neat preset. Sounds just like the Acoustic.
But then I said to myself... I play the electric guitar. I cant be one thing and act like another.

I am currently using a peizo equiped guitar. My goal is to create an acoustic simulation for my humbucker electric. I will update here asap.

You would be much better using the $50 to go into a pro studio record some miced acoustic tracks and use the stems to tonematch to the piezo and use a blend of the TM and the piezo.

You can get seriously good results this way as long as the original recording is smokin

Never had much luck with the Tone Matching. I suspect there's little discussion because it's so infrequently used because there's so little info on how to do it right and well because there's so few people using because there's so little info about it because people aren't talking about it because it's so confusing because there's so little information on how to use it because so few people use it bec.... I feel like I may be going in circles here ;)

In any case, yeah, I don't think it deserves its own sub forum, but I do kinda wish there were more info about it. I haven't been helped by any of the existing videos/tutorials/documentation. I did just notice that it looks like the official tutorial doc has been updated. A few months ago there was a much less comprehensive one that didn't even use terms that the Axe Fx III has, but this one is 7 pages and looks to be pretty good. I'd love to be able to tone match my acoustic and then use that live (would be sweet to not have to even bring my acoustic to gigs; that'd save a lot of space!).

Never had much luck with the Tone Matching. I suspect there's little discussion because it's so infrequently used because there's so little info on how to do it right and well because there's so few people using because there's so little info about it because people aren't talking about it because it's so confusing because there's so little information on how to use it because so few people use it bec.... I feel like I may be going in circles here ;)

In any case, yeah, I don't think it deserves its own sub forum, but I do kinda wish there were more info about it. I haven't been helped by any of the existing videos/tutorials/documentation. I did just notice that it looks like the official tutorial doc has been updated. A few months ago there was a much less comprehensive one that didn't even use terms that the Axe Fx III has, but this one is 7 pages and looks to be pretty good. I'd love to be able to tone match my acoustic and then use that live (would be sweet to not have to even bring my acoustic to gigs; that'd save a lot of space!).

I consider Tone Matching (or EQ matching) to be one of the single most effective weapons for tone reproduction that currently exists. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'd be glad to answer any questions about how to use it and do so effectively. Tone Matching can literally save hours of time a person might otherwise spend trying to dial in a tone perfectly by ear... and still not nail it.

Last edited:
I consider Tone Matching (or EQ matching) to be one of the single most effective weapons for tone reproduction that currently exists. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'd be glad to answer any questions about how to use it and do so effectively. Tone Matching can literally save hours of time a person might otherwise spend trying to dial in a tone perfectly by ear... and still not nail it.
You should do a video series or blog about it; I think that would be super helpful. Honestly, I don't even know how the block would be used in a preset; like as a cab? As an amp? something between? As an effect? I have a feeling that you're right and it'd be super useful, but I know so little about it that I don't even know what I'm missing out on, let alone how to use it. Your first video should be "Why You NEED To ToneMatch" or something :)

You should do a video series or blog about it; I think that would be super helpful. Honestly, I don't even know how the block would be used in a preset; like as a cab? As an amp? something between? As an effect? I have a feeling that you're right and it'd be super useful, but I know so little about it that I don't even know what I'm missing out on, let alone how to use it. Your first video should be "Why You NEED To ToneMatch" or something :)

Hi, Im Trueresource the originator of the post. I agree totally with Jason Scott and decreebass (that Jason should post a tutorial) please. I created a tone match on my Axe2 from a MP3 acoustic file and used it constantly. When I sold the Axe2, and purchased the Axe3 I could no longer use the Axe2 tone match on the Axe3. Currently I run my piezo without a cab and it sounds pretty good with some custom EQing. So Im quite exited about being able to improve this sound. decreebass, you mentioned something about a 3 page tone match using the Axe3. This is the first Ive heard of it. I will certainly search for it.

I have had mixed results as well. I mostly tried to match to recorded source material (iso guitar) which has many more variables than sending the exact same signal into ref and local. I usually get spiky frequency profiles whether I tone match post cab or with no cab. So I tend to smooth them to dial some of that out.

I have tone matched both with/without a cab in the chain and blended them to taste (along with smoothing). But it still tends to sound a bit "artifacty" to me.

Tutorials and best practices would be very helpful!

EDIT: RTFM! Now I see 'Set Mode on the Config page to “OFFLINE”' in the manual. I think I had left it on LIVE, so I don't know how that would affect the results.

Last edited:
Don't understand the aversion to a sub forum related to tone matching. Especially when there's one for the II. Don't need it/don't use it? Great! Don't click on it.

Back
Top Bottom