Why is the Reverb input mono?

The diversity of techniques and interests is part of what makes this forum so compelling. When you guys were talking about a "long time" w/r/t delays, I figured you were talking about like three seconds. I thought, "there's no way the delay degrades that fast...!"

Yes if you use really long delays like 3 seconds or more and set feedback 100% repeat then you will eventually hear them degrading and get duller and softer. Another way you hear this is when using a hold delay. You want it to hold infinitely but it doesn't.

I have the feeling that it is not a digital artifact but that it is baked in the algo somehow. But I am not sure and don't know the technical stuff behind it.

I'm pretty sure it was a request.

Maybe an "infinite digital delay" wish is the route to go. I think someone has asked about this in the wish section.

I can get rid of the degradation but it means that there will be no modulation when Hold is true. Modulation is the source of the degradation.

So 0% modulation means the current delays have infinite hold? Just want to make sure I'm getting it right.

I can get rid of the degradation but it means that there will be no modulation when Hold is true. Modulation is the source of the degradation.
Yes please!!!!!! I am fine with it!
It seems that if people want the modulation, they can set the feedback to 100%, if they don't want the degradation, they can hold it. Thank you Cliff so much for considering it!

In other words, a Looper :).
It is very different than a looper for me because with a high feedback value I can get a very lush pad that has lots of repeats in just a few seconds. I can then keep it going with just one footswitch press. By releasing the hold I can let the delay gradually morph into another sound.

I'm probably saying this due to my ignorance on the subject but.. wouldn't it be more logical to disable modulation when depth is 0?

Hold with modulation is a pretty common use case and will probably lead to a lot of complaints.
Furthermore we'd still have degradation when using high feedback instead of hold.

Last edited:

You mean the modulation is only disabled when using hold is use? If you don’t use hold nothing changes? If that is the case I wouldn’t mind. But I guess that it still would be the same degradation of the repeats if you don’t use hold and want long delays with 100% feedback? I am a bit confused now. :)

No, but it will be a lot longer. If you want infinite hold then I will have to completely disable modulation as well as a few other things when Hold is true.

Funny, I was just experimenting this morning with delays/reverbs and proudly determined that the main culprit appeared to be modulation (along with a non-flat EQ response?). With it on (esp with reverbs) degradation was relatively quick/noticeable by ear and with RTA. With digital delay, it seems to take a lot longer.

Wouldn't it be more logical to disable modulation when depth is 0?

Could work but Cliff also said that he'd have to disable "a few other things when Hold is true" as well for perfect regeneration.

My question is if Stack would need to work the same way or if "degradation" is okay there. I think it's okay.

@FractalAudio, regarding Stack feature: I'd love an independent decay envelope for Stack mode so it isn't effectively infinite. Something like Stack Regen/Feedback % (100-0) parameter that geometrically reduces level successive iterations. The impact would depend particular effect and characteristic convolution time. Or alternatively, a Stack Fade Time (1 sec to Inf?) that specifies the duration for t60 1/e level reduction.

For example: Regen/Feedback % of 100 would behave as it currently does. A Regen/Feedback % of 95% would reduce level of successive iterations by 5%.

Or: Fade Time of 60 sec would mean that w/o additional input signal the Stack level would fade to imperceptibility after 60 secs.

Last edited:
My question is if Stack would need to work the same way or if "degradation" is okay there. I think it's okay.

@FractalAudio, regarding Stack feature: I'd love an independent decay envelope for Stack mode so it isn't effectively infinite. Something like Stack Regen/Feedback % (100-0) parameter that geometrically reduces level successive iterations. The impact would depend particular effect and characteristic convolution time. Or alternatively, a Stack Fade Time (100 ms to Inf?) that specifies the duration for 1/e level reduction.

For example: Regen/Feedback % of 100 would behave as it currently does. A Regen/Feedback % of 95% would reduce level of successive iterations by 5%.

Or: Fade Time of 10 sec would mean that w/o additional input signal the recycling Stack level would be 1/e every 10 secs.
You can achieve the same thing by attaching the control switch to the feedback knob instead of stack and set min and max value accordingly (min would be your normal feedback and max your "stack" feedback)

You can achieve the same thing by attaching the control switch to the feedback knob instead of stack and set min and max value accordingly (min would be your normal feedback and max your "stack" feedback)

Well, I feel dumb if it's that simple. Is Stack equivalent to 100% feedback in all cases? I'm not in front of my Axe but it seems a bit different in that sometimes setting 100% feedback in delays can grow uncontrollably while Stack seems better behaved.

How would that work with Reverbs that don't have a "feedback" parameter as such?

Last edited:
Is Stack equivalent to 100% feedback in all cases? I'm not in front of my Axe but it seems a bit different in that sometimes setting 100% feedback in delays can grow uncontrollably while Stack seems better behaved.
I think so. When 100% feedback grows uncontrollably it means your delay eq is not flat and some frequencies are boosted (some delay types are set like this by default) and in that case stack grows uncontrollably too (and hold too).

How would that work with Reverbs that don't have feedback as such?
For reverbs your request might make sense since the time knob can't go to infinity, 100 seconds maximum time is enough for my needs though

For reverbs your request might make sense since the time knob can't go to infinity, 100 seconds maximum time is enough for my needs though

I'm not in front of my Axe, but short of the existing slow "degradation", it seems like the reverb Stack keeps accumulating without any chance of clearing out "older tails" at a predictable rate.

I'd like the ability to have the Stack decay at a controllable rate for more dynamic stacking, whether delay or reverb. Stack Regen % or Fade % (100-Regen) might be easier to implement than fade time (t60) across all delay/reverb types.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom