Why Fractal don't use aluminium for product chassis ?

Hello!

I think only Cliff can help with that question. I was always wondering, why Fractal don't use aluminium for all their product chassis ?

For example, FM3 with aluminium chassis (if it's done correctly with reinforcement ribs) could weight greatly less than current chassis and be the same in terms of durability. And weight is one of the key factors for this product, because it is made to be "grab and go" and to put into gig bag's pocket.

For example, Quad Cortex weight is 2kg compared to 3.2kg of FM3 - and that's great reduction in comparable size of the devices.
And Cortex does have aluminium chassis.

If there will be any plans for FM3 MkII with lighter chassis - I will happily buy it!

Just can't understand why everything should be made of steel. Is that because steel is cheaper than aluminium ? Cliff, please explain if you can. Thanks!

I took out my fm3 last week for the first time and i thought that i was taking out a medium-size pedalboard lool. It's kinda heavy for its size, but it feels very durable and feels somewhat 'premium' to me.

I’ve seen the QC get kicked around on the floor when pressing switches due to its light weight. I like the weight of the FM3.
That would probably be easily solved with grippy feet on it.

Some want a floor-unit with the capacity of the Axe-FX III, even if it is much heavier and bigger, others want a floor-unit lighter than the FM3...

This is like HVAC Thermal Comfort at the office: there will always be a predicted percentage of dissatisfied (PPD) at opposite sides of the graphic

Last edited:
Steel doesn't require reinforcing ribs, and such ribs placed within a chassis would take up extra room. You also have to heat aluminum quite a bit to effectively solder to it for grounding.

I prefer heavy duty build as well. But I actually preferred the smooth powder coated feel and appearance of the MFC/FX8/AX8 versus the soft-touch texture the FM3/FCs. It seems more difficult to keep the FC units looking pristine.

I’m so glad the FM3 chassis is made from steel. Steel is strong, easy to shape, lower cost, and simply the right choice for the product. 😀🎸✈️✅🇺🇸

I got the package. Removed the unit with one hand. Didn‘t think it was too heavy. Its also supposed to be used as a floor amp. So... i rather have sonething heavier and durable.
and regarding QC weight : you have to calculate in the external power cable block !(sorry dont know the proper english word :( ). For the fm3 plug in the cable and you are good to go. One less thing to lose and one less likely to break / get ripped out :)

Weight of FM3 is OK if you take only it with you to the trip. The problem is that you'll NEVER take FM3 alone.

You always have your guitar, bag with clothes, other equipment etc, etc. And when you carry all your stuff by yourself - each kilogram matters.

Don't suggest me to get a car or taxi. FM3 is marketed as "grab and go", so it's for guys who carry all their stuff by themselves, by hand.

I’ve seen 1x12 tube amps marketed as grab and go too.

i put the FM3, all cables, expression pedal, 16 channel mixer and more in a 1/2 size rolling suitcase, put my fan and mic stand on the handle, double guitar bag on my back, and carry a speaker in one hand walking to the gig.

If I need more or if the walk is long, I put it all on a push cart.

I’m not sure anything grab and go - or any gear really - is intended for walking more than a mile to the venue.

Back
Top Bottom