Why doesn't Fractal Audio want to make AX8 Mark II model like FX8 Mark II anymore?

Sigh... many people here (including myself) would have preferred something w/ more buttons, but that train left the station so long ago that it ran over the dead horse.

Most of us have long since accepted how FAS is going to do it. After all, it's their business to do with as they see fit... not yours or mine. And the modular approach does make sense both for users and for FAS. I can decide how many buttons I want; they can streamline production. Now it's a question of "do I want to upgrade, or keep the AX8?" (or switch to a Helix, Kemper Stage, AFXIII, etc). And if I do upgrade: FC or not, and 6 or 12? (in my case, likely 6 + a couple of external pedals... I like having more things accessible with one click, no hold, and often play improv-style where I want my fx available because everything isn't pre-planned).

Regardless, we paid money in exchange for a device (AX8) which most of us feel is worth way more than the cost, and which will still sound great after the FM3 starts shipping. Cliff could retire to Costa Rica tomorrow and owes none of us anything.

Now it's a question of "do I want to upgrade, or keep the AX8?" (or switch to a Helix, Kemper Stage, AFXIII, etc).

Well, I decided to just move on and I switched to two Kemper Stage units. Need something currently available that is easily replaceable if something goes wrong.
My son really wanted an AX8 before they were discontinued so has had one of mine and I am selling the other.
I loved my Fractal stuff but at the moment, there is nothing they make that I want so I will have see what they release in the future. Not into the Lego building block scenario that is going on now but that is just me. Enjoy your Axefx, AX8’s and your FM3’s.

The FC controllers are very nice. FM3+FC6 mounted on a $10 board isn’t much bigger than AX8. I think the combo is about the size of an FC-12 which is a nice size.

I’m thinking anyone complaining about the FM3 hasn’t seen an FC controller connected to an Axe3. Same basic sound and foot size without the rack case. Easily fit in a big backpack

I’m going to start hauling an Axe3+FC6 board to practice jam nights. I’m old and my back isn’t the greatest. Sometimes I think the kids should man up. Your grandpa carried a 4x12 up hill both ways in the snow.

If you want small get a Tech 21 Flyrig V2.

Well, I decided to just move on and I switched to two Kemper Stage units. Need something currently available that is easily replaceable if something goes wrong.
My son really wanted an AX8 before they were discontinued so has had one of mine and I am selling the other.
I loved my Fractal stuff but at the moment, there is nothing they make that I want so I will have see what they release in the future. Not into the Lego building block scenario that is going on now but that is just me. Enjoy your Axefx, AX8’s and your FM3’s.
How’s it sound? Glad you found something that (hopefully) works well.

AX8 is awesome, learning more about mine every day.

Looking forward to the FM3 + FC6 which to me is next gen.

I'm in the crowd that feels that the (expected) ergonomics of the FM3 + FC6 are worse than the AX8. Oh well, I guess we play the cards we're dealt. But that was my reason for not pre-ordering. I figure I'll revisit how I feel after units are out and the dust has settled a bit.

If the issue is to nag over and over about more buttons until Fractals gives up, I think it's a futile approach. They look at markets and they are not a big company that could take risks to please a minority that might or might not purchase a tons-of-buttons product.

Meanwhile, the volume knob on your guitar is a friend if you want more sounds with less buttons....

The simulation of amplifiers and especially effects in the AX8 is still at a high level and certainly not lagging behind new competing models even after so many years on the market thanks to regular sofware upgrades. There is much to be praised by the FAS here. :) Now I'm going to write something a lot of people in this forum are probably going to get upset about. Put simply, most guitarists don't even need a higher quality amplifier simulation, which is in AXE- FXIII or FM3. Already, the audience below the stage has almost no chance of recognizing the individual models. : -) In addition, most of us also have valve amplifiers or combos that combine with FAS effects. The new models will only be bought because of the operating processor's higher computing speed so that a greater number of effects can be used in higher resolution at once and I believe guitarists will particularly appreciate the new real time transpose function without the need for string retuning. That's all most guitarists in the world need to their satisfaction. The color displays of the new models are harder to read on stage in the spotlight than the old monochrome ones, but I understand it's a nicer look and more modern. Now, stone me. : -)

Reklama

Attachments

• 3-Benchmarks-w-footnote-gray2.jpg
    3-Benchmarks-w-footnote-gray2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 8
Just for information, the guitar family's Fractal here. Here's my equipment. Small storage and simple to transport. It all fits, including three guitars, in the trunk of my AUDI A8. I even go to some concerts with only AX8. I'd like to stay with this concept, and as I've written before, the only thing that will make me trade my AX8 for some newer model in the future is the need for a faster operating processor to combine more high-resolution effects and a desire for real-time retuning functionality. Otherwise, I'm most satisfied and so are the fans of my two rock bands. Thanks to FAS for making such great products and I understand that you can't please everyone every time. Persist in your efforts. : -)
Guitar-equipment-2019.jpg

No need to stone you, I can just conclude, I am not part of most guitarist then. None of what you state ring true with me.

You seem happy with your AX8 - just stick with it
Yes I'm happy with my AX8 and I don't want to sell it yet. But I miss the two possibilities mentioned in the last model. : -)

No need to stone you, I can just conclude, I am not part of most guitarist then. None of what you state ring true with me.

You seem happy with your AX8 - just stick with it

I do think there is a middle ground: the player might get more personal inspiration from "better" but the audience doesn't perceive any audible differences.

There is also the scenario, and I've seen this many times, where the Fractal guitarist on stage was inspired as heck, but between the eq-ing they've done on their own presets or the guy at the sound board (or both), their guitars get lost in the mix, or simply don't mix well. Again - the audience not experiencing any kind of upgrade.

There are a lot of modeling guitarists who dial in (because they can) their holy grail tone alone in their practice room. Ultimately oblivious to how they sound in the mix, which is much less than holy grail worthy. Doesn't matter how good the models are for all these folks.

Present company excluded, of course. :cool::)

In addition, most of us also have valve amplifiers or combos that combine with FAS effects.
Speak for yourself. How do you know what MOST Fractal users have? After years of activity here and assuming this forum is a good representation of the Fractal user base, I would bet you are wrong.
The color displays of the new models are harder to read on stage in the spotlight than the old monochrome ones
Really? I totally disagree with that, having used both on stage. The color screen is very clear.
Put simply, most guitarists don't even need a higher quality amplifier simulation, which is in AXE- FXIII or FM3. Already, the audience below the stage has almost no chance of recognizing the individual models.
I don't dial in my guitar sounds for the audience. I dial them in to be inspired.

If we only care about the audience then there would be no Fractal and we would all be using a POD. ;)

I’d wager 95% or more of the guitar market is for hobbyist who ply at home, not professional gifging musicians. It’s just like camera gear, it’s all about the “pro” market but in reality working professionals make up less than 1% of the market.

make no mistake, there are a lot of gigging musicians using FAS gear, but there are way more older guys who are pretty much just home players these days and who have the disposable income to chase tone. Myself being one of them lol

Most audience members go to audio concerts for the visual element. If a higher quality amp modeling makes the player feel and look better, then it’s doing its job.

I’ve been using The AX8 3x a week for years. No complaints ever. But when I take the Axe3 out here and there with the same musicians, they definitely hear a difference. Good and gooder.

Speak for yourself. How do you know what MOST Fractal users have? After years of activity here and assuming this forum is a good representation of the Fractal user base, I would bet you are wrong.
I didn't mean just the members of this forum. Almost all famous guitarists featured by the FAS on their website combine Fractal with their favorite valve amplifiers. You want proof? Check out youtube. Yes, it's true that on one tour Metallica really only tried to play Fractal but they're already playing valve amplifiers again and Fractal is combining with them because of the great Fractal effects.

Really? I totally disagree with that, having used both on stage. The color screen is very clear.

I don't dial in my guitar sounds for the audience. I dial them in to be inspired.
It is proven by doctors that the human eye makes a great distinction of black against a light green background. In addition, the green color calms. That's why it's used a lot in hospitals. You can tell for yourself that red, blue or green paint on a black background is no longer so well recognisable. : -)

Back
Top Bottom