Why doesn't Fractal Audio want to make AX8 Mark II model like FX8 Mark II anymore?

I hate it when people assume other people haven’t done readership just because they don’t think 3 switches is enough.
I have an Axe FX III and an FC12 and it doesn’t have enough switches for me. And yes I’ve read the manual extensively!
I got yelled at for suggesting a 22 switch controller to someone who thought 12 wasn’t enough. So at this point anything anyone says doesn’t matter haha.

There are plenty of external MIDI foot controller systems to make your own monster footcontroller layout system. Or if you want 128 foot controllers, get 128 switches, a chassis with a power supply, a DIN plug and a Raspberry PI -- I'm sure someone has done the work for your already to build a MIDI controller from a pi.

I hate it when people assume other people haven’t done readership just because they don’t think 3 switches is enough.
I have an Axe FX III and an FC12 and it doesn’t have enough switches for me. And yes I’ve read the manual extensively!

Not blasting or trying to start any arguments but what song requires more than 12 switches or scenes? The intricacies of the song or set list must be demanding. Lots of detail and accuracy.

BTW I play mostly classic, hard, southern Rock with the occasional country.

Not blasting or trying to start any arguments but what song requires more than 12 switches or scenes? The intricacies of the song or set list must be demanding. Lots of detail and accuracy.

his main preset has like 30 blocks or something.

anyone can need 22 or switches if they really want to.

could it be done differently? perhaps. but that's up to each user.

Know what’s rather ironic ? I remember when the ax8 was released there were people who complained it was too large, too powerful, too expensive.....

they want something smaller, less cpu, $599.... basically just a little box that did amp and cab and nothing else.....

then we get people who still said the fm3 was too big, why not a fm1.....

then there were those who wanted not a fm3, but a fm7, or fm9...

others Still didn’t like that, they wanted a full axe III, but built into a fc12, and they didn’t care what it would cost....

essentially, short of having a product line with 50 variations someone isn’t going to be happy, and even then, with all those versions, I’m sure someone still would find some way to complain FAS doesn’t value or understand their needs....

I Think the same things as the edge ...

I had a axe fx 2 that i sold because i Didn t Like the noise of his fan and to wait for a Ax8.

I bought my ax8 In France about 1600€ 3 years ago and Like his sounds, his size and the software on my pc... but i didn’t like :
. the software inside the ax8 (too Much complicate , not intuitive)
. So many versions so i have to change My Presets often (i love to play guitar not to spend my Time to try to understand how works the pedalboard and to make computing)

I m interested for a new fractal pedalboard but not a fm3 with extensions and Will wait for a fm7 or bigger.
For me the Good pedalboard should be with minimum 10 slots and an expression pedal inside as the Moore ge300, helix or headrush pedalboard.

I don’t understand fractal strategy to announce the end of the sale of the ax8 and a new model fm3
Many months before to get ready to déliver it...

Fractal should be aware about his customer needs and the others competitors (I bought last week overloud th-u after viewing demos of fractal customer on youtube and find it very interesting...

I need :
1 Good sounds
2 Easy to use
3 all In one pedalboard, no ad on
4 no noise (fan...)

Best regards and excuse my for my english i m a french guy

Attachments

• B8EDC264-7005-4155-8ACB-D841E9EDFC90.png
    B8EDC264-7005-4155-8ACB-D841E9EDFC90.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Most of my single song presets only really need a single controller pedal, and have just a couple buttons for extra goodies.
My Presets layout:
20191206_003202.jpg

After selecting a preset, it switches the left layout so I get my Scenes/Effects/Controllers layout:
20191206_003211.jpg

Two buttons. :D

My "kitchen sink" presets use all 12 buttons of my pair of FC6es, though.... :)
20191129_134217.jpg

The left one shows the scenes after selecting a preset, as in the previous preset.

Last edited:
It's not like the FX8 Mark II was a significant upgrade over the original. All of the blocks and features remained the same. The only "improvements" were:
1. The Instrument Input pad was increased from 12dB to 18dB.
2. The noise floor was lowered- no comparisons posted that I've seen as to how much of a difference there is.
3. The footswitch order was swapped - Switch #1 on bottom row.

Not downplaying the question but it just seems to be another thread of someone writing off the FM3 before it's even released. Coming from the AX8, I had my doubts about the switching capability of the FC-6 when I bought the Axe III. I knew I need the FC-12. The invitation for the FC-6 came and with no real idea of when the FC-12 would be available, it was better than nothing. I eventually received an invitation for the FC-12 but I passed, I now have no need for the FC-12, the FC-6 is more than I need.

Bottom line, I made presumptions based upon previous experience with the AX8. Actual hands-on experience with the FC-6 revealed a level of performance that I couldn't see possible with fewer switches. Not saying the FM3 will work for everyone, but at least wait until people have had a chance to show its capabilities, and limits, before drawing a conclusion.

BTW, I do find it rather ironic that I'm pretty much only using the bottom row of switches on the FC-6 to do what I needed with the AX8.

The most likely and likely solution for the future is likely to be what he wrote Habuman.
"An AXE III floor unit that fits into the FC12 would be great. Until then I will continue to faithfully use my AX8"
For such a new model, I suggest the name AX12. : -)

12 switches with scenes and channels and layouts is HUGE! I can't imagine how many more switches you may need but that should take care of 99% of users here.

If you need more switches you can always add more, it's easy and flexible. Or add another FC....that's the cool thing about this system :)

Nothing is wrong with the AX8....I still jam on mine and it's fantastic!

If you want more switches for the FM3, you just add however many you need. It's THAT simple :)

I Think the same things as the edge ...

I had a axe fx 2 that i sold because i Didn t Like the noise of his fan and to wait for a Ax8.

I bought my ax8 In France about 1600€ 3 years ago and Like his sounds, his size and the software on my pc... but i didn’t like :
. the software inside the ax8 (too Much complicate , not intuitive)
. So many versions so i have to change My Presets often (i love to play guitar not to spend my Time to try to understand how works the pedalboard and to make computing)

I m interested for a new fractal pedalboard but not a fm3 with extensions and Will wait for a fm7 or bigger.
For me the Good pedalboard should be with minimum 10 slots and an expression pedal inside as the Moore ge300, helix or headrush pedalboard.

I don’t understand fractal strategy to announce the end of the sale of the ax8 and a new model fm3
Many months before to get ready to déliver it...

Fractal should be aware about his customer needs and the others competitors (I bought last week overloud th-u after viewing demos of fractal customer on youtube and find it very interesting...

I need :
1 Good sounds
2 Easy to use
3 all In one pedalboard, no ad on
4 no noise (fan...)

Best regards and excuse my for my english i m a french guy
I really don’t understand how people say it’s not intuitive and too hard to use....the amp controls have their own dedicated knobs....and some of the stock presets were instantly usable for gig purposes.

AX8 was also an in-house test run for decentralized control of a product's development, i think the whole thing got given to a group of dudes to make, and creator just blessed off on stuff as it came. It worked, but if there is a changing of the guard in the company at any point without proper hand off, it's difficult to keep the product rolling. It was developed as an offshoot of Axe-Fx II in design/technology/processing/looks, during that time. With the Axe-FX III being the new flagship, the design vocabulary and aesthetic and technology all changes in a new direction. With FM3+FC6 you get more buttons and more capability than the AX8, and better modeling, better everything, just needing to carry one extra XLR cable. Wanting continued development of an AX8 is kind of like pressing for v2 of a SNES controller after the N64 already came out.

I use one preset for each set that I play vs preset per song. This is due to the fact that I am playing different songs each week in my situation. We are pulling from a song catalog of more than 2000 songs. Having a preset for all of those gets old!
A typical 5 song set will require the following sounds.
5 levels of gain, clean to mean!
All of those 5 gain levels will need to be accessed while using any of the following FX:
1. 1/8 note delay high and low mix
2. Dot 1/8 delay high and low mic
3. 1/4 note delay high and low mix
4. Dual delay 1/8 and Dot 1/8
5. Dual delay dot 1/8 and 1/4
6. Reverb boost
7. Plex delay for swells
8. Volume boost for solos
9. Tuner
10. tap tempo
11. Octave pedal (adds one up and one down)
12. Wammy bar sim.
13. Univibe
14. Reverse delay
15. Slap back delay
16. Golden delay

So that could all be used during a typical set.
If I did program per song (which would be necessary with the FM3 CPU) I would need the following.
1. 3 levels of gain
2. A primary and secondary delay subdivision
3. A delay boost
4. A plex delay for swells
5. A reverb boost
6. A volume boost for solos
8. An additional effect bypass.
Could I access all of that with 3 switches? Probably but it would not be a pleasant experience like it was on the Ax8.
The obvious choice would be to add the FC6 on a permanent board. I decided to get an Axe FX iii instead.

to Smittefar
Who needs a color display on stage when you're doing all the settings at home on your computer? I've written this before. One box on the ground plus an expression pedal is better than three boxes on the ground and cables in between.
One box on the ground with a handle is better than having to connect your two cables.

If you've done your homework at your computer, I don't see why you would ever need more than three switches. I currently have 125 presets for 125 songs with scenes prepared for every part of the songs. I have not come across a single song, where I could not get the to the necessary scene with one click on one of 3 footswitches on the FM3 (to be honest, I could take full advantage of the layout linking on the FM3 and make do with one footswitch all night).
With that line of thinking, why did Fractal even bother to make it possible (or feel the necessity) for the AX3 to be able to be expanded with another foot switch? 3 is enough right?

It's not like there aren't lots of us who agree with OP.

Lets pretend Fractal had simultaneously announced FM3 for $999 AND a bigger, more powerful FM9 at $1499. I think:

1). Lots of people would choose FM3
2). Lots of people would choose FM9
3). Lots of you staunchly defending and justifying FM3 today would be the same guys choosing FM9 and arguing it's merits over FM3.

My bet is a product like FM9 is still in the pipeline....

Back
Top Bottom