Why does the down arrow increase cabs in AE and vice versa?

jsl2h

Inspired
Anyone else noticed this? The up arrow increases the presets like normal and the down arrow decreases presets, so why is it the other way around when changing cabs?

Not able to duplicate that behavior here.... win7x64.
Arrows are behaving as they should... up and down.

I think for cabs the arrows represent how you would see the cabs in a list...for example cab 1 is at the top so you would scroll down (down arrow) to the next cab

Not able to duplicate that behavior here.... win7x64.
Arrows are behaving as they should... up and down.
Weird that its not happening for you on the same OS. Ok guys I thought maybe AE was acting up or something. Wish i could change the arrow behavior though.

The OP is correct. If you're on cab 100, the up arrow will take you to cab 99. But if you're on preset 100, the up arrow will take you to preset 101.

Another way to look at it: if you look at Axe-Edit's internal cab list, the down arrow takes you to the next cab downward in the list. But if you look at the internal preset list (preset finder), the down arrow takes you one amp upward in the list.

Selection of amp type behaves the same as selection of cab type. Both are opposite to the selection of preset.

ok... any "menu" style lists, like cabs etc. work "visual". meaning the down arrow moves down in the list (going to a higher number if you will). the Preset list is not a menu as such. therefor the regular up/down applies. up arrow=higher number and vice versa. this is intentionally and not a bug (eventhough it may be seen by some as such).

ok... any "menu" style lists, like cabs etc. work "visual". meaning the down arrow moves down in the list (going to a higher number if you will). the Preset list is not a menu as such.

It looks like a menu, it works like a menu, it walks like a menu, it quacks like a menu...what's the difference? :)

this is intentionally and not a bug (eventhough it may be seen by some as such).
Not a bug, but an inconsistency.

ok... any "menu" style lists, like cabs etc. work "visual". meaning the down arrow moves down in the list (going to a higher number if you will). the Preset list is not a menu as such. therefor the regular up/down applies. up arrow=higher number and vice versa. this is intentionally and not a bug (eventhough it may be seen by some as such).

Having done a lot of UI design work, I do find this particular issue a bit of a jarring inconsistency.

I've been caught out by the preset arrows next to the preset number. Especially seeing as the [Presets...] button right next to the arrows will pop up a list of presets on which you move DOWN to the higher preset and UP to the lower numbered one.

To then have that behaviour reversed with the arrows is a problem, because even when the preset window is not open, I still have a mental image of the preset list window in my mind, along with a good idea of where my favourite presets lie in it, and subconsciously, I am thinking that I have to go 'UP' three spots to get to my Strat presets, but in fact clicking the 'Up' button takes me 3 steps in the wrong direction.

This is a major disconnect in 'UI vs mental mapping' IMO. It would be great to have an option in the settings to reverse this behaviour if the user desires.

Bump.

This would be ideal to reverse in settings. Very odd that the preset and cab arrows do not follow the same direction.

Back
Top Bottom