Why do more than 90% of the metal bands I go see in concert use a Kemper?

Concerning the accessibility… don’t think it is really an argument. Yes some guitar store got one, but as most of guitar stores are closed now, you don’t find a kemper in every city hm. It remains something « rare » to find in real life. And expensive. But yeah the fact you load a usb stick to have your profiles, this ok, that’s a +, for the ones that rent them . If they rent them.

Not so much anymore, hate to say it but the new album is a turd, its like Metallica at half speed. It’s like Load III, the intensity and proggy stuff is long gone. Nothing touches the first four albums, unfortunately.
Yeah I was in the cinema for the premiere… the album and songs are never ending. Seriously it was a pain to listen the whole stuff. coming from a « super fan », I have a Metallica tattoo…

The last album is recorded with a modded Marshall

https://loudwire.com/james-hetfield...2-seasons-modified-eddie-van-halen-tone-guru/

I love Fractal stuff to death, but also respect the desire to capture an amp/cab/mic together in a profile for touring. The tones won’t be tweaked on the road much, and you don’t have to worry about any components of the amp giving out. I imagine being able to get that consistency from gear is key. Being able to easily swap another KPA in if need be is also great.

I don’t miss my KPA at all. It was too “static” for my taste (excellent characterization made in this thread earlier). I also always wanted to futz around with FX way more than what it allowed. These days I understand why these objections don’t bother some people. Just a matter of realizing what you want out of your tools.

You would think after the last few years with COVID etc people would just be happy for other musicians to be out playing again and enjoying the gear that they choose....and most can choose whatever they want to.
Because .. Sheep
Is that the same for people who play Fender or Gibson?

You would think after the last few years with COVID etc people would just be happy for other musicians to be out playing again and enjoying the gear that they choose....and most can choose whatever they want to.

Is that the same for people who play Fender or Gibson?

This, and the fact that digital is becoming increasingly more common both live and in the studio. This is the Fractal forum, so obviously everyone here is in that camp. Spend some time on the Kemper or Line 6 forums and you’ll see the exact same enthusiasm directed toward those respective platforms.

Another thing may be that - and I'm going out on a limb here - the amp simulations have been continuously evolving and improving.
To some people that may give them the impression that these weren't perfect yet.
So they may prefer a modeller with profiles from their own amps or other existing amps - choosing the safe option so to speak.
It never bothered me. When listening back to older recordings I made, they still sound great.

Never knew Kemper is that much established. If profiling is their strength they must be worried now that a 250$ ToneX n some fx pedals can approach the same trick but I guess they have the onboard amp and available cab which is a plus.

Most people that sell something convince others it is better because it makes them $ when they make a sale. There are far more people selling Kempers than Axe-Fxs and far more people making money from those sales. Same with cars, phones etc...

They can keep their decade+ old tech afaic.

Most people that sell something convince others it is better because it makes them $ when they make a sale. There are far more people selling Kempers than Axe-Fxs and far more people making money from those sales. Same with cars, phones etc...

They can keep their decade+ old tech afaic.
Also because they are invested in it - many of us make a purchase choice, then defend it to the bitter end, and become a recruited sales rep

Last edited:
I think everyone here would agree that the Fractal sounds much better, but why is Kemper still top dog for almost all live metal bands? The price is not that different, and in terms of resiliency, the Fractal units are built really well. So what gives?

I hardly ever see Line 6 Helix, QC, or Fractal AxeFX III (seen a couple II XLs though).
Hearing loss.

@Shahar I think you must live in Europe. Here in the US, I don't see it like that at all.
I live in Denver. And like I mentioned, I mostly listen and go to death metal, black metal, and prog metal shows. Some of the recent concerts I went to are: Mercyful Fate, Morbid Angel, Revocation, Insomnium, Enslaved, Carach Angren, Cradle of Filth, Amon Amarth, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Rotting Christ, The Black Dahlia Murder, etc.

I go to A LOT of concerts. This week I am going to see Dying Fetus, Aborted, Suicide Silence, Born of Osiris, Whitechapel, Entheos, and Archspire. I’ll let you know what they used.

Last edited:
I live in Denver. And like I mentioned, I mostly listen and go to death metal, black metal, and prog metal shows. Some of the recent concerts I went to are: Mercyful Fate, Morbid Angel, Revocation, Insomnium, Enslaved, Carach Angren, Cradle of Filth, Amon Amarth, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Rotting Christ, The Black Dahlia Murder, etc.

I go to A LOT of concerts. This week I am going to see Dying Fetus, Aborted, Suicide Silence, Born of Osiris, Whitechapel, Entheos, and Archspire. I’ll let you know what they used.
Gotta love the names of these bands! :oops::D

Simple answer: you can profile your existing amps and easily blast that profile through a powered Kemper into whatever backline cab is provided. Without any sort of complex routing/signal chain to also have a ready to go direct feed for FOH.

I don’t regret it because it represent their 5 first albums to me, same for sepultura
Yeah, I can see that. And truth be told, I don't actually regret it... was just poking fun.

Besides the first five albums, I even like Load and Re-Load a bit. Anytime I hear songs from those, I just pretend I'm listening to some other band and then it sounds like decent music. It just doesn't sound like Metallica 🤪🤣

Back
Top Bottom