Why do more than 90% of the metal bands I go see in concert use a Kemper?

OP are you seeing a lot of bands that had to catch a flight to play your city?
No just standard bus driven bands… many from overseas… death metal, black metal, technical death metal, melodic death metal, etc. Most recent one was Enslaved from Norway (Kemper), and Insomnium (Axe FX II XL).

I don't follow the metal scene much, but if you've got Metallica using your product, maybe the rest doesn't matter.
Not so much anymore, hate to say it but the new album is a turd, its like Metallica at half speed. It’s like Load III, the intensity and proggy stuff is long gone. Nothing touches the first four albums, unfortunately.

Not so much anymore, hate to say it but the new album is a turd, its like Metallica at half speed. It’s like Load III, the intensity and proggy stuff is long gone. Nothing touches the first four albums, unfortunately.

Maybe, but they're one of the few (or the only) metal/former metal bands with household-name status, especially after Stranger Things.

Last edited:
I think everyone here would agree that the Fractal sounds much better, but why is Kemper still top dog for almost all live metal bands? The price is not that different, and in terms of resiliency, the Fractal units are built really well. So what gives?

I hardly ever see Line 6 Helix, QC, or Fractal AxeFX III (seen a couple II XLs though).
Wouldn't agree that the Fractal sounds better. Both can sound great, both can sound terrible. Given todays pro modeling solutions, I think it's splitting hairs in regards to which one sounds "better" in a live scenario.

I think others have already touched on why. I think simplicity/ease of use is likely the primary factor. A lot of these bands also share amp profiles with each other. As Dave Merrill touched on, they seem to have much more success with that scenario actually working for them whereas sharing presets in Fractal-land is often less consistent from one user to another.

Depends on the genre and the level the band has achieved.

Kempers are:
1 easily found in the used market
2 for metal they’re fine because let’s be honest all the guitars sound the same and metal isn’t the most nuanced in the world, tone-wise.
3 not “complicated” like Fractal stuff.

You can buy a Kemper anywhere. Not so with Fractal. Probably awareness plays a big part in who plays what.
Everyone is aware of Fractal at this point. Price and availability will drive the kids to all the other tone print stuff. But they all not-so-secretly aspire to Fractal or real amps when they can afford them and have the roadies to move the big stuff.

Fractal stuff commands too high a resale value for the young’ns.

It's hard for us on this forum to understand this, but most guitarists are not like us. They're not very computer savvy and aren't necessarily comfortable buying direct online. Distribution still matters in 2023.

For that reason, in a lot of circles, the word "Kemper" is used in the way we on this forum use the term "amp modeler" or "amp simulator". The OP mentioned metal, but I would say this situation is more pronounced in non-metal genres. You can travel from one end of Nashville to the other and have a hard time finding a single Axe-FX for every 100 Kempers you see.

Everyone is aware of Fractal at this point. Price and availability will drive the kids to all the other tone print stuff. But they all not-so-secretly aspire to Fractal or real amps when they can afford them and have the roadies to move the big stuff.

Fractal stuff commands too high a resale value for the young’ns.
I have several talented young guys who I play with, and do my best to help them learn about amp and guitar choices… “don’t buy one of everything because it’s cheap, save up and buy the right things that do what you want.” sort of stuff.

So I stick them on my Tone King Imperial or Lonestar Special, going straight in with no pedals, just them, the guitar, and the amp, and go at it, and they love it. And I rotate one of my Fractals in also just to give them experience with their sound, and they really like them. The ODS-100 factory preset really works well to get their attention.

Fractal doesn’t have the budget that their competitors have so they use their dollars carefully, design great gear, release updates more frequently than any other company, and try to make our experience with their products be outstanding so we’re happy to tell others.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/how-can-i-help.70707/ says how we can help.

Depends on the genre and the level the band has achieved.

Kempers are:
1 easily found in the used market
2 for metal they’re fine because let’s be honest all the guitars sound the same and metal isn’t the most nuanced in the world, tone-wise.
3 not “complicated” like Fractal stuff.
Agree on most of your points. Though, I don’t think it’s “honest” to say all metal guitars sound the same.

A lot of those guys are no different in the pursuit of their tone and for them there’s plenty of nuance to achieve what they’re going for. Even though sometimes it sounds like a chainsaw taking down a hornets nest with a hand grenade to those that aren’t particularly interested.

Goes both ways, though. I often hear “metal” guys wondering what all the fuss over clean amps is about? Why do the boomers covet Dumbles and Klons when they can just use a Deluxe Reverb and a Tube Screamer? It all sounds the same! I think when it’s not something you’re close to or have a vested interest in it’s easy to dismiss.

That’s an important part. The Kemper is not good for after the fact adjustments. Get it right during the profile or pray it can be massaged into shape.
I have never played through a Kemper... I have watched a lot of TY vids on them. I think this ^^^ is the deal with Kemper, make a recording or print or profile whatever you want to call it and go. I get that and it sounds attractive but if you looking for other aspects of that amp that don't shine through your back to the farm. With Metal it's more about the chug chug than anything else which makes that device attractive especially when coupled with all of the other things mentioned.

It's hard for us on this forum to understand this, but most guitarists are not like us. They're not very computer savvy and aren't necessarily comfortable buying direct online. Distribution still matters in 2023.
That’s so true. Even younger players, who have grown up with computers and seem to be relatively savvy, don’t understand how their amplifiers work internally, how the sound is being manipulated by tubes and pedals.

For that reason, in a lot of circles, the word "Kemper" is used in the way we on this forum use the term "amp modeler" or "amp simulator".
A friend of mine used to have a Kemper floor model that he ran into the front of his Twin Reverb, and constantly struggled with to get a consistent sound. He’d text me questions or come up to talk and the conversation always ended with him saying he “had to do it that way” even though I had just explained how we were supposed to use modelers.

He now uses a QC and swears it’s the best thing ever. Sigh.

No just standard bus driven bands… many from overseas… death metal, black metal, technical death metal, melodic death metal, etc. Most recent one was Enslaved from Norway (Kemper), and Insomnium (Axe FX II XL).
Might be easier to get a Kemper on a rider as an international touring band that can't haul your own gear. At least here in Canada they can be rented from most major music stores.

Agree on most of your points. Though, I don’t think it’s “honest” to say all metal guitars sound the same.

A lot of those guys are no different in the pursuit of their tone and for them there’s plenty of nuance to achieve what they’re going for. Even though sometimes it sounds like a chainsaw taking down a hornets nest with a hand grenade to those that aren’t particularly interested.

Goes both ways, though. I often hear “metal” guys wondering what all the fuss over clean amps is about? Why do the boomers covet Dumbles and Klons when they can just use a Deluxe Reverb and a Tube Screamer? It all sounds the same! I think when it’s not something you’re close to or have a vested interest in it’s easy to dismiss.
Well said and pretty much my thoughts on this. I am much more picky about the nuances of my hi gain tones than I am about clean tones and I'm pushing 60. Grew up on Eddie and loved the early Metallica stuff. Two very different takes on high gain, but some probably feel that they sound similar.

Semi OT...

With Fractal, I hear a lot of "this preset that's great in the video doesn't work for me", and I've experienced that myself, more often than not. I get tones I love, but they're rarely unmodified factory or third party stuff.

Why doesn't that happen all the time with Kemper? It has way less ability to customize a factory or third party "preset" than Fractal. Is it because everyone only uses captures of their own great amps dialed how they like them? Maybe at full-on pro level, but not everyone.

Curious.
It does happen all the time with Kemper, it’s a never ending topic on other forums.

People buying/trying other presets and often being disappointed is a seemingly universal challenge.

For me gift of tone was the best other person’s preset experience ever. Generally avoid them otherwise.

Yes and the punk rock scene too, bad religion, exploited 🤦… soulfly …fear factory…. we are not here to do the list but yeah a lot of big names . In reverse, I only know Metallica to use the axe live in all the bands I listen to. They are not all playing with kemper but tubes amps too. Strange yes. I know the kemper very well, but I won’t turn back after the axe. I don’t miss it at all. I prefer the sound of the axe by far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom