Why are these two identical presets sounding completely different?

I know it was asked earlier, but did you double check the Controller settings on the Wah to make sure they match? Can you turn the Wah off on both and make a recording?

There is no wah block in the preset. It's two filter blocks with envelope controllers on the frequency and Q parameters. And yes, everything is the same.

The Mic support has never been in the processing, it is too CPU intensive. Leaving the knobs and the fields in the editor were an oversight.

I changed a mic from none to null in a factory preset last night and it definitely made a difference to the sound.
I use the null option in many of my live presets, will this still be possible?

Gotcha.... I haven't loaded the preset as I am at work, just wanted to make sure you had checked the controllers. You can definitely tell that it doesn't seem to be opening up as much in the AX8, but that could be because the sound is so muffled. I am at a loss man......have you tried just creating it from scratch in the AX8 with the same values to see if you can make it sound like the AxeFX patch?

Then why is on on page 51 of the AX8 owners manual?
Screenshot%201_zpsx1yttvdd.png

Yeah this is a pretty big deal for me.
Not so much the different mics but definitely the null option, I purchased after checking the manual for what options I would still have compared to the 2.

Yeah this is a pretty big deal for me.
Not so much the different mics but definitely the null option, I purchased after checking the manual for what options I would still have compared to the 2.

I could have sworn that I have tried different Mic settings in the AX8 and heard differences. I may have been drinking that night, but I could have sworn it changed the sound as I went through all of them. Also, if they weren't available, then why is there a Proximity settings in the AX8 as well???

I used the Null a lot in the Axe 2 as well.....and did the same thing as you by comparing the features in the Owners Manual. I could live without some of the missing features.....but had I known the Mic type option was truly not there, I may of had to think twice about it.

In that most recent clip, it sounds like your input is overloading on the AX8 portion. Do you have your levels set properly?

Ok, I rebuilt the AX8 preset from scratch and it looks like it's a problem with the Filter blocks. With just the amp and cab blocks active, the presets sound the same. But the filter blocks are not reacting the same way, even though they have the same settings. I don't know how to fix this issue.

@Joe Rogers Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to try to fix this. Thanks.

UPDATE: It is definitely something to do with the filter blocks. I can see the VU meters reacting completely differently to my playing between the Axe Fx and AX8.

Last edited:
Ok, I rebuilt the AX8 preset from scratch and it looks like it's a problem with the Filter blocks. With just the amp and cab blocks active, the presets sound the same. But the filter blocks are not reacting the same way, even though they have the same settings. I don't know how to fix this issue.

@Joe Rogers Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to try to fix this. Thanks.

UPDATE: It is definitely something to do with the filter blocks. I can see the VU meters reacting completely differently to my playing between the Axe Fx and AX8.

As I mentioned previously: envelope.

Both filter blocks have the envelope follower attached to frequency, and one has it attached to Q as well. The Envelope Follower is an internal controller within the preset that converts your input level to control signal. Use the Threshold to determine what level it kicks in at. If the input levels are different between your AX8 and Axe-Fx II, you will need to adjust the Threshold on the AX8, or else otherwise adjust the I/O settings so that the input settings are the same and the Threshold responds the same.

In the AX8 preset, I also see a phase issue: you've got a parallel shunt above the delay block. The delay's mix isn't at 100% in scenes 1&2 and 5-8, which allows some dry signal in. That dry signal mixed with the shunt's dry path will at the very least mess with your levels, if not also cause some phase issues.

As I mentioned previously: envelope.

Both filter blocks have the envelope follower attached to frequency, and one has it attached to Q as well. The Envelope Follower is an internal controller within the preset that converts your input level to control signal. Use the Threshold to determine what level it kicks in at. If the input levels are different between your AX8 and Axe-Fx II, you will need to adjust the Threshold on the AX8, or else otherwise adjust the I/O settings so that the input settings are the same and the Threshold responds the same.

You, sir, are a FREAKIN' GENIUS. Problem solved!! I didn't even think to look at the controller tab. I have to play with the levels a bit to get it exactly right, but that did it. Thank you!

You, sir, are a FREAKIN' GENIUS. Problem solved!! I didn't even think to look at the controller tab. I have to play with the levels a bit to get it exactly right, but that did it. Thank you!

Didn't 2 of us already ask if you had checked the controller settings???

Didn't 2 of us already ask if you had checked the controller settings???

I thought you meant the controller settings within the filter blocks themselves, not the separate controller page with the threshold parameter. My bad.

Don't worry, you're also a genius. :p

I changed a mic from none to null in a factory preset last night and it definitely made a difference to the sound.
I use the null option in many of my live presets, will this still be possible?

The null option just activates the proximity control. If the proximity is not set to zero, then changing from none to null will add proximity.

I believe Joe said they would add support to activate / deactivate proximity when the mic options are removed.

I thought you meant the controller settings within the filter blocks themselves, not the separate controller page with the threshold parameter. My bad.

Don't worry, you're also a genius. :p
Could you post the AX8 preset after you fixed it to match? The axe patch sounded amazing.

Back
Top Bottom