Why are these two identical presets sounding completely different?

Voldemort

Inspired
I have copied over numerous presets from my Axe FX II mk.1 to my AX8 and they have all sounded identical, until this one.

I have a U2 Mysterious Ways preset on my Axe FX II that sounds great. I exported the preset as blocks and then copied all the blocks over to the AX8, but I'm getting a completely different sound. Both units are running Quantum 2.02. I have been through the preset page by page on the AX8 to make sure all the settings are the same, and they are as far as I can tell. I've run both my AXII and the AX8 through the same cabinet (Mission Gemini I) to make sure that it's not my monitors that are the issue and the AX8 version sounds much more bassy and muffled than it should be and I'm not getting any of that crisp "auto wah" sound from the AX8. For the life of me, I cannot fix this. The preset uses factory cabs, so that's not it.

Is there a problem with the AC30 TB model in the AX8? I thought the code is the same. Is it a CPU issue?? I've also tried turning the bass way down and the treble way up on the AX8 preset, but that doesn't work either. Any ideas would be most appreciated! Below are the presets.

Attachments

• Mysterious Ways AFX.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Mysterious Ways AX8.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Have you (double) checked the input gate - at some point, I heard about it defaulting to -20 dB on the Ax8 while importing blocks.

Are any blocks disabled? If not, it is probably not a CPU issue.

I cannot load your patches right now, but if everything sounds muffled, it is likely the auto way that does not get enough input. Have you checked that the envelope modifier settings are identical?

Have you (double) checked the input gate - at some point, I heard about it defaulting to -20 dB on the Ax8 while importing blocks.

Are any blocks disabled? If not, it is probably not a CPU issue.

I cannot load your patches right now, but if everything sounds muffled, it is likely the auto way that does not get enough input. Have you checked that the envelope modifier settings are identical?

I checked the input gate and it's at 0.0 db in both presets. No blocks disabled. It's....mysterious! :)

Here's a clip. AXII is first, followed by AX8, both running into Logic with the same guitar, cables, etc.

Remove variables.
Remove Blocks.
Compare AMPs only...
Compare AMPs + CABs...
Compare WAHs "Parked"...

Here's a clip. AXII is first, followed by AX8, both running into Logic with the same guitar, cables, etc.

I went through both your presets (AxeFx and AX8), and found two issues:

1) A lot of the amp block parameters are not the same. This accounts for some of the problem.
2) Even though AX8-Edit allows you set the Mic Type (we're going to change this in the next release), the AX8 does not support setting the mic type.

If you import the amp block from the AxeFx to the AX8, and change the mic type to NONE in your AxeFx, you will find they sound the same.

1) A lot of the amp block parameters are not the same. This accounts for some of the problem.
2) Even though AX8-Edit allows you set the Mic Type (we're going to change this in the next release), the AX8 does not support setting the mic type.

If you import the amp block from the AxeFx to the AX8, and change the mic type to NONE in your AxeFx, you will find they sound the same.

So...... you can not choose Mic Type in the AX8??? I saw it on the AX8 Edit and just assumed you could.......and I almost swear there is a knob in the Cab menu on the AX8 that selects a Mic Type. So the only way to have different Mic sounds is by purchasing Cab Packs and selecting the different IR's?

You're correct on the amp block parameters -- the copy of the preset I uploaded earlier was saved after I had tried to adjust to match the tone of the AXII and I forgot to reset them. But even with the parameters set identically, I'm still getting a different tone. Attached below are copies of the presets with the amp block parameters matched. Also, on your suggestion, I turned off mic type in both cab blocks. I'm still getting a distinctly different tone. Here's a new clip:

Attachments

• Mysterious Ways AFX#2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Mysterious Ways AX8#2.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 1
You're correct on the amp block parameters -- the copy of the preset I uploaded earlier was saved after I had tried to adjust to match the tone of the AXII and I forgot to reset them. But even with the parameters set identically, I'm still getting a different tone. Attached below are copies of the presets with the amp block parameters matched. Also, on your suggestion, I turned off mic type in both cab blocks. I'm still getting a distinctly different tone. Here's a new clip:

What version of Quantum do you have your Axe FX set to??? That's the only other variable that I know of.....

So...... you can not choose Mic Type in the AX8??? I saw it on the AX8 Edit and just assumed you could.......and I almost swear there is a knob in the Cab menu on the AX8 that selects a Mic Type. So the only way to have different Mic sounds is by purchasing Cab Packs and selecting the different IR's?
The Mic support has never been in the processing, it is too CPU intensive. Leaving the knobs and the fields in the editor were an oversight.

The Mic support has never been in the processing, it is too CPU intensive. Leaving the knobs and the fields in the editor were an oversight.

Then why is on on page 51 of the AX8 owners manual?
Screenshot%201_zpsx1yttvdd.png

Both my Axe FX and my AX8 are running Quantum 2.02.

You did check that Cab block parameters when you imported the blocks didn't you? I only ask because I have had issues with importing Cab blocks from saved presets. I have had them import with a Lo Cut of 120 and a Hi Cut of 500.....when the Block was saved with no Lo and Hi parameters set.

You did check that Cab block parameters when you imported the blocks didn't you? I only ask because I have had issues with importing Cab blocks from saved presets. I have had them import with a Lo Cut of 120 and a Hi Cut of 500.....when the Block was saved with no Lo and Hi parameters set.

Yes, everything is the same.

Back
Top Bottom