Why all the Metal??????

I guess I've been misunderstood since I thought everyone knew I'm a metal player. From the actual Scandinavian metal scene.

I just think many people start playing guitar because they "want to be metal" which is supposed to be a genre that connects the underdogs as Dio said but instead I fear it's becoming a new form of douchebaggery. "You don't have tattoos and piercings so you can't be metal" has been said to me by guys that listen to Nickelback and call it metal. :D

It's a genre that has never been cool or mainstream. There's nothing wrong with that. Steve Vai never made it to the radio either. Still all guitarists would love to be him.

I just honestly think that the genre got sidetracked like hippies that were supposed to love each other and nowadays they are just angry at everything. Same goes for metal.. everyone's a hater.

So I think many people play metal because they want to be "badasses". :D
He must be new to these forums because I think most of us do know you are a metal player! I got a chuckle from his response:)

It may be Because it’s a bitch to get that sound without a veritable shit ton of equipment.... typically a really good high gain amp doesn’t have the amazing headroom available in some combo amps like a Mesa recto and say a fender twin, or like a jc 120 would, now flip that, would a fender twin EVER have the balls to hang with a Mesa??? Nope not on the dark side

A lot of what you need to replicate many metal bands is a 4x12 with a high gain amp, a od pedal set with no gain, tone 12 o’clock, in front of a LOUD but clear preamp, with a gate, that may or may not have extra eq to handle mid range clarity with really low tuning....

Now swap off that ts 808, Channel switch your 6505, kill the gate, while turning on a chorus and delay and activating your amps reverb with as little lag as possible

That’s like some black belt ninja foot work shit and your STILL not getting the same tone unless you Carry a second amp for the cleans....

So who wants to carry a board with 9 pedals
A combo amp, a 4x12 cab, a 120 watt head and 3 guitars to the local pub to mosh out with 50 people

NO ONE DOES LOL
you carry a rack mount case with a power block or something into a 2x12 cab
And you swap all that shit with ONE button
Bc your prolly playing a chord and fretboard tapping at the same time

Ok ok
Ranting for fun here

But seriously it’s way easier to sound AMAZING, as well as not compromise your tone bc you don’t have 2 Amps a rack 9 pedals and 2 cabs ya know

Vs country where I need
Tele
1x12 combo
1-2 od pedals
Compressor and
Volume pedal

And I can straight cover like 50 years of most country
Def the older kind

Or classic rock
2x12
30 wat tube Head
Roto vibe
Echo
Wha
Fuzz
And an axe

Metal guys usually use a lot of tunings as well so many times these dudes are carrying 3 guitars

I think it’s out of necessity that dudes who play country are like
Well I don’t need all that I need this and that and this amp and I’m good

Again this is a semi entertaining and somewhat sarcastic post

I’m not implying that every country guy is this and that just most that I know (I live in Tennessee BTW) and most classic rock isn’t terribly complex because all the shit wasn’t available yet,
Just that what metal guys prefer and look for takes a lot of shit

So it’s like

Oh it’s all in that box???

I’ll take 2

It may be Because it’s a bitch to get that sound without a veritable shit ton of equipment.... typically a really good high gain amp doesn’t have the amazing headroom available in some combo amps like a Mesa recto and say a fender twin, or like a jc 120 would, now flip that, would a fender twin EVER have the balls to hang with a Mesa??? Nope not on the dark side

A lot of what you need to replicate many metal bands is a 4x12 with a high gain amp, a od pedal set with no gain, tone 12 o’clock, in front of a LOUD but clear preamp, with a gate, that may or may not have extra eq to handle mid range clarity with really low tuning....

Now swap off that ts 808, Channel switch your 6505, kill the gate, while turning on a chorus and delay and activating your amps reverb with as little lag as possible

That’s like some black belt ninja foot work shit and your STILL not getting the same tone unless you Carry a second amp for the cleans....

So who wants to carry a board with 9 pedals
A combo amp, a 4x12 cab, a 120 watt head and 3 guitars to the local pub to mosh out with 50 people

NO ONE DOES LOL
you carry a rack mount case with a power block or something into a 2x12 cab
And you swap all that shit with ONE button
Bc your prolly playing a chord and fretboard tapping at the same time

Ok ok
Ranting for fun here

But seriously it’s way easier to sound AMAZING, as well as not compromise your tone bc you don’t have 2 Amps a rack 9 pedals and 2 cabs ya know

Vs country where I need
Tele
1x12 combo
1-2 od pedals
Compressor and
Volume pedal

And I can straight cover like 50 years of most country
Def the older kind

Or classic rock
2x12
30 wat tube Head
Roto vibe
Echo
Wha
Fuzz
And an axe

Metal guys usually use a lot of tunings as well so many times these dudes are carrying 3 guitars

I think it’s out of necessity that dudes who play country are like
Well I don’t need all that I need this and that and this amp and I’m good

Again this is a semi entertaining and somewhat sarcastic post

I’m not implying that every country guy is this and that just most that I know (I live in Tennessee BTW) and most classic rock isn’t terribly complex because all the shit wasn’t available yet,
Just that what metal guys prefer and look for takes a lot of shit

So it’s like

Oh it’s all in that box???

I’ll take 2
Thoughtful words, @Rufus , and an excellent first post. Welcome to the forum!

And speaking of metal, you get this week's Death Reanimated trophy for necrobumping a thread that's been dead for five years. :p

It actually just took me 5 years to word that post for maximum affect??? (Aaaannnd no one bought it lol)

Sighhhhhh
I will read the dates in the future

On the other hand thank you guys for the welcome!

It actually just took me 5 years to word that post for maximum affect??? (Aaaannnd no one bought it lol)

Sighhhhhh
I will read the dates in the future

On the other hand thank you guys for the welcome!

Out of necro bumbing curiosity, how did you even find such an old thread? I NEVER look past the 2nd page of a forum, and even that only very rarely. Once a thread disappears of the front page its usually dead and buried to me.

I'm also convinced the whole vibe and sound of it is often unhealthy in more ways than one.
What does that even mean? Its just metal. It's a form of expression, it's art! Just because you don't jive with it, but you still have a few opinions about it (like most people these days). If I don't jive with something very well, more often than ever it's because I don't understand much about it.

Ever use the forum search function? ;)

To find a useful information thread that has relevance to any problem I might have with my Axe-FX, yes. Because to resurrect an old thread with new relevant information is not considered thread necro. To find an old thread that might have some amusement value to basically say 'I agree'? Never!!!

Again, I'm genuinely curious why someone would search for an old thread and then respond to a conversation that died years ago. Because I for one never did. Oh, and not notice that its a very old thread in the first place.

Or the "Watch" function, for that matter. :)

I hate getting messages telling me new posts were made. I disable that function in every forum I join lest my inbox gets flooded with them. I reckon that if someone posts in a thread that disappeared off the main page I will see it when it reappears again.

Blues players are still using what ever Clapton or Jimi was using 50 years ago.
This ^^^
Blues guys are the "mojo" guys and there no mojo in digital gear lol. They fail to realize I, unlike them, can do both metal & blues completely transforming my sound all while STILL keeping my guitar looking great! No need for the "beater strat" look. Gosh damn I love my AxeFx !!

Again, I'm genuinely curious why someone would search for an old thread and then respond to a conversation that died years ago. Because I for one never did. Oh, and not notice that its a very old thread in the first place.
Search for an old thread? No. Search for a topic? Yes. Reply to that topic? Yes. Check the post date to make sure you’re not necrobumping? Not necessarily.

I hate getting messages telling me new posts were made. I disable that function in every forum I join lest my inbox gets flooded with them.
You have the option of confining notifications to the notification area within the forum itself. No emails at all.

Why buy a Swiss knife with a >100 pages manual if your old machete with 4 knobs on the handle does the job brilliantly for over 20 years already ?
Personnally got to an axe fx because of the great variety of music styles I've been playing over the years (more or less good BTW..).

Metal is cutting edge. Metal is envelope busting. Metal is visceral and primal. Metal pushes the amp to the point where amplifier circuit functions go non-linear and model accuracy is most critical and model behavior most variable. Metal is good. It's all good. Even a Roland chorus amp is good - but you don't need an amp modeller for tones like that. :)

Last edited:
We all like the music that was popular when we were kids... so for most of us here that's the numetal scene thing so we get kicks from high gain metal riffs. (like it or not that's what scientists say) Metal itself is very 80s if you ask me. Pantera, Metallica, Iron Maiden... these are all kind of early 90s popular bands at best. This new wave of djent type of metal is very welcome as it's a virtuoso guitar players genre (musicians actually need talent!) and they seems to like my IR's the most so I'm all smiles. Still it's not popular music. Current popular music has no guitar expect for that one Bieber song. So if you're a current guitar player in current music scenes then you most likely are into the djenty type stuff and that will also be the future for guitar players.

Back
Top Bottom