Who's using two amps in a patch?

Never assume anything! :)

When you run two, they're in normal resolution mode, so use half the CPU of high resolution mode, which is normal for a single amp.

Actually - I'm testing this and seeing a 4% CPU jump when adding a 2nd amp (and drop when removing a 2nd amp). Is there something I'm missing?

I use 2 amps/cabs in one of my synth patches that I'm re-working in the Axe II. I put an amp in front of the synth to improve the tracking, though a compressor would probably do the same thing and the cab is completely unnecessary. I then run that synth block into an fairly high gain amp/cab combo to add some character to the really pure synth sound.

I've been toying with the idea of adding a nice clean amp slightly mixed in with my high gain sounds to add some attack and clarity. My friend got a Bad Cat 10th Anniversary combo (serial #1!) into his shop and it has a mix knob where you can mix the clean channel in with the crunch channel. It got my gears turning to create a patch that mimics this function.

With the Vetta II, I used a blend of two amps all the time. The philosophy was to use a bright amp mixed with a darker amp. You can get a nice saturation without boatloads of gain that way. I haven't felt the need do this with the Axe FX.

Today I saw someone in another thread talking about the Corncob, and I've gotten pretty into it. Here's something I just came up with using two Corncobs, each eq'd slightly differently: one with a bunch of mids, the other less mids and little more bass and treble. The original patches, also attached are slightly different than in the patch combining them. (Also, I've gotten a little addicted to Mark Day's REV+DLY.)

I just starting playing around with 283. I made some adjustments and it sounds good to me. It cut through nicely when I was jamming with my drummer! I would like to add a parametric EQ in the chain and play around with that. Should I put the parametric EQ in front of everything or put it last in the chain?

I just starting playing around with 283. I made some adjustments and it sounds good to me. It cut through nicely when I was jamming with my drummer! I would like to add a parametric EQ in the chain and play around with that. Should I put the parametric EQ in front of everything or put it last in the chain?

That's an interesting configuration. Great for rock.

EQ you can do lots of things with. Much more than I understand. But typically it's like this: you want to shape your guitar tone, you put it pre-amplifier; you want to shape your amp tone, you put it post-amplifier (which is how all my patches are, in series fashion). Also, the amp section has its own graphic eq, which has more effect than the amp knobs, but not as much as a post eq.

Hi,
I have two amps in all of my presets, but always there's one bypassed. I programmed an IA to change the value of an external modifier, so amp1 is on or amp2. Togehter with another IA for X/Y there are always 4 amps on all of my presets.
My first tries were not that nice, I lost overview, couldn't find the right sounds when I wanted them. So I had to find a logical structure.
Now amp1is always a rounder sound, amp2 is sharper, x is always for the bridge HB, y is always for the neck SC
Until now only some rehearses that way wich worked flawless and were great...in two weaks I'll try it out on stage.

I'm using two amps each with their own cab [stereo cab] and they're panned wide

5153Red to the left and a VH4 to the right
sounds great to me.. they take a while to dial in together though..
and you have to be mindful that the generate they same / very similar levels of low end so you don't "lean" to one side in the stereo image..

I've not used the Axe-II live yet...
but I have used presets exactly like this live before with another make / model of fx-unit and it sounds great..

it does take time to set this up... and it does take time to dial the amps into each other...
but when you nail it, it sounds huge..

sounds like this

EDIT: the riffy stuff at the start and the 'morphed to clean' that follows are the two amps..
when I switch the preset into it's 'soloing mode', the VH4 drops out and the 5153Red takes over [dirty and morphed clean tones]

Clarky, thanks for posting, I think that is a great sound you are getting there.
Can you elaborate please... are the single note soft riffs just with the 5153Red, and when you play the heavy metal type chord riffs is that both amps together?
Or when are we hearing both amps together?

Thanks

Clarky, thanks for posting, I think that is a great sound you are getting there.
Can you elaborate please... are the single note soft riffs just with the 5153Red, and when you play the heavy metal type chord riffs is that both amps together?
Or when are we hearing both amps together?

Thanks

if you go back to post 28 in this thread there is a breakdown of what's going on..

where it says 'riff mode', that's the 5153Red and VH4 together, even when they are cleaned up
where it says 'soloing mode', that's the 5153Red on it's own, including when it's cleaned up

^^^
Great thanks , got it.
And by the way thanks also for the very educational thread in the presets section . Very educational and helpful.
Now just need a few years to digest it all ...:lol

haaa... no worries....

to be honest, that 'educational thread' is as much for my own education as anyone else's...

it's essentially a log of all my experiments, discoveries, learning points, failures and successes...
I figured though that it could be fun / beneficial to create my log / journal in public
and of course it had the added bonus of having some of the more experpienced Axers being able to chip in and offer suggestions when I struggled..

I created that thread within days of getting the Axe..
so it goes right from the start... a noob that's never had an Axe before trying to figure it all out..

I'm using two amps each with their own cab [stereo cab] and they're panned wide

5153Red to the left and a VH4 to the right

]

Clarky, I have been looking at your preset.
It looks like the stereo cab block ( the last block) has the two cabs panned hard left and right, and the two amp blocks are panned L and R by using the Balance knob and additionally on the speaker page of the amp block.
Do I have that right?
So what is the advantage of setting your i/o to dual mono rather than stereo in this setup?

my I/O output1 and output2 are both set to stereo

if I've stated something different somewhere else, sorry dude.. it's clearly my mistake

It ain't the ingredients prometh, it's the RECIPE :)

I learned this years ago when I found that even the smallest tweaks on my Boogie made big differences.

And - FWIW - the other thing I learned was that subtlety rules!

Take off, eh? (sorry - impulse response to your Toronto location - Strange Brew is one of my favorite movies).

Pete

...hmm... I knew there was a reason I was looking at this thread (age is a bitch). I just posted a 2-amp patch in the Patch Exchange called 'Fat Clean and Naked'. This is a two amp patch, with a bit of syrup mixed in.

Pete

my I/O output1 and output2 are both set to stereo

if I've stated something different somewhere else, sorry dude.. it's clearly my mistake

Hey man ,
thanks for clearing that up.
I was going on a comment you made early on in your presets thread ( that long journey of yours that we all shared !!).
And I was going a bit crazy... :eek:

Back
Top Bottom