Who's using two amps in a patch?

I had set up some of these and they Sound Awesome in Headphones or in My Studio Monitors...
But they were not working well for Live. Of Course I was trying to do it Panned... It only worked when our PA Mains were Close Together.
It is really hard to keep them Balanced, especially Dynamically/Rolling Back Volume or Picking Attack.
I still love my Panned patch with 5150 Left and Recto Vintage Orange Right, but I think I am going to have to try playing with it only slightly panned and see if it works Live.

I use the Wrecker and ODS 100 in my main lead. Wrecker is pretty bright, ODS is pretty dark. They complement each other really well.

Using two amps can really open up some great blending possibilities.

Try a really dirty amp and a really clean one and blend to taste, for example. Great way to have crushing gain while maintaining note clarity.

Factory preset 341 : Blitz II is worth looking at. Mixes FAX MODERN and ENERGYBALL. A good start to tweak from.

I mix the Hiwatt Brilliant and the Top Boost. Never thought to try it with high gain amps, but if I did I wouldn't mix two high gainers.

I use it on the "Stevie Ray Vaughn" patches I have. One amp has more bass and more gain, while the other is cleaner. I would upload the patch, but don't know how. They sound really good, and I bypass one of the amps while I am tweaking the other. Makes it much easier to sort out the sound.

I find that mixing amps loses the feeling of power and ends up sounding fruity like some progressive band. Sorry if I'm offensive, just stating my opinion with all honesty.

I use the Plexi bright and the Plexi normal to create a 'jumpered' Plexi sound. Both amps have different and complimentory cabs. I'm extremely pleased with the sound.

I am using dual amps for my Rhythm guitar, working on it for last 1 month since i bought AXE FX 2, I only want to use dual amps for rhythm and my taste is high-gain ampls, using Bogner & Englball panned hard left and right, it took hell lot of time to get it right, still feeling its half cooked, so everyweekend i am spending lot of time to get it right and my inspiration is Mark Tremonti of Creed sound....using dual amps for his set up, and trying to achieve similar kind of set up and sound for my compositions. but still not happy ..anybody out there can throw some light on this kind of setup to achieve from AXE FX II ?? will be really great help... specially looking for smooth high gain sound, with good noise gate control...complete silence when using the palm breaks between the rhythm guitar...

I'm using two amps each with their own cab [stereo cab] and they're panned wide

5153Red to the left and a VH4 to the right
sounds great to me.. they take a while to dial in together though..
and you have to be mindful that the generate they same / very similar levels of low end so you don't "lean" to one side in the stereo image..

I've not used the Axe-II live yet...
but I have used presets exactly like this live before with another make / model of fx-unit and it sounds great..

it does take time to set this up... and it does take time to dial the amps into each other...
but when you nail it, it sounds huge..

sounds like this

EDIT: the riffy stuff at the start and the 'morphed to clean' that follows are the two amps..
when I switch the preset into it's 'soloing mode', the VH4 drops out and the 5153Red takes over [dirty and morphed clean tones]

Last edited:
For what I wanted to hear from an ODS, the stock ODS overdrive channel didn't sound quite right. I ended up combining a low-driver version of that with a clean Twin sound, the latter having most of the highs and mids rolled off. Having some clean bass under the ODS sound seemed to get me the body and ping/attack I was looking for. But, honestly, I started doing that back with 5.7 firmware. I think the post 6.0 firmware made the ODS amp sound better on its own.

as you can see from the above examples, if you're using two amps panned centre, then it's a good idea to make sure they are different, but complimentary. if they're panned hard left and right, they can be more similar and the small differences in attack and bloom characteristics will give you a wider sound. i wouldn't use two high gain amps panned centre, as it will sound mushy, as you've discovered. you can get some really fantastic sounds using multiple amps, but you have to be quite mindful of the gain settings and the amount of bottom end each amp has, as this is where problems can stem from.

Agree with CC and Simeon, you really have to "flavor to taste" to avoid getting the mix mush that happens when you just add more of the same. You know... salt and pepper is good, salt and salt is just salty. Listen to your first amp, and see what you think it's missing. The find an amp that has that flavor to add to taste (via the mix of the two).

Can you tell I haven't been to lunch yet?

Afterthought... also good for X/Y switching tone to tone. But from the OP I think you meant as a mixed sound.

Last edited:
Quite often I use two amps. some times they are very similar sounding amps but I pan them to achieve a good stereo spread. When the patch is mixed to mono it still sounds roughly the same and I don't get any weird phasing effects or cancellation. Works great for stereo FOH and mono stage monitor mixes, way better than pseudo stereo processing or the enhancer which is very unpredictable.

and you have to be mindful that the generate they same / very similar levels of low end so you don't "lean" to one side in the stereo image..

but I have used presets exactly like this live before with another make / model of fx-unit and it sounds great..

it does take time to set this up... and it does take time to dial the amps into each other...

sounds like this

EDIT: the riffy stuff at the start and the 'morphed to clean' that follows are the two amps..
when I switch the preset into it's 'soloing mode', the VH4 drops out and the 5153Red takes over [dirty and morphed clean tones]

Clarky, care to share the patch so we can examine how you are laying things out? I think it would be a useful exercise.

PS: Some tasty licks at 1:30 bro, followed by some wicked speed licks. Nice stuff!!!!!!

sounds like this

Could you help me understand whats going on in your clip☺ What was the change at 0:48? Is that the same preset as leading up to it, only then switching to solo lines?
Also the change at 1:38 (or around there) going into an almost Eric Johnson sound. From your post edit I feel you are saying this is all one preset. Is this just a volume change thats cleaning it up? Wow
Sure would love to study this preset if you would be willing to share.
Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom