Who's gone all-in on Fractal?

I did. No regrets.

I like my old tube amps rather being played by someone who appreciates them, than to collect cobwebs. And: They need maintenance.

I've got a couple of old "Brand L" Pod XT Pro units (guitar and bass), an Echo Pro and a Mod Pro. All for sale, pretty sure I'll never need them again.

I did. Initially all the gear sat for a year and half while the Axe-Fx II and CLRs did it all for me. Then I sold it all.

But then after a couple years, I missed "playing" an amp. Kinda like driving a certain model of a certain car, the experience is unique, so... I caution you.

If you chase tone, if you enjoy amp in the room, if you want feel, interaction, don't sell it all. Keep at least one amp and cab.

Sounds like people are somewhat evenly split with a little bias toward going all-in.

FWIW, my amps are already gone. I still have an Epiphone Valve Jr sitting around because I feel like I might get like $20 for it, and it hasn't been worth the effort. I've thought about recycling it. My last amp (HR DeVille 2x12) sold on consignment in the fall. Last attenuator is still sitting in that shop collecting dust, also on consignment.

I was honestly never in love with amps for playing at home. Which is all I ever do now. At least at home, I just plain can't comfortably hit the ~100dB that it takes to make even a 1W amp sound good to me. This fractal journey started when I realized that adding an attenuator to an amp with power-scaling meant something fundamental had to change.

In my room, on these speakers, Fractal sounds great at 90 and still good in the 70s, which lets me play when I can't sleep and the rest of the house is asleep.

If I decide I need a B rig....I almost feel like it makes sense to buy a duplicate of everything I have now. Which would be less than my pedals are worth. I really should invest in speakers that would stand up to local travel, but that's a can of worms I haven't really opened yet. And it hasn't come up yet either.

I think I'm going to do it. There are a lot of other things I'd rather have than a built pedalboard and drawers full of pedals I never use.

When I got the AX 3 I already had all the effects pedals and thought the AX was going to be a complement, another cool thing to add to my collection, and damn it! the cool stuff became undisputed king and the rest went to find another home!
the only thing I kept are things that have sentimental value or are now no longer in production like my Carvin legacy 3.

Come to think of it, everything that ends in three I keep!

My amps are hand built by myself. Not going to sell those. Lately just gathering dust. I did sell a couple pedals and probably going to sell my 412 cab. Recently tried a couple pedals into the front of my FM3. Which was fun but not necessary. More the merrier!
But I’m pretty much all in on the Fractals.

I have dreams of still completing some of the tube amp mods and designs I had planned. And, I have way too many tube amps and old electronic components. Unfortunately, I can achieve amazing tones with the FM3 extremely quickly. And, there is almost no additional cost, other than a few IRs. I will probably hold on to all this old tube equipment until I die -- due to my lack of emotional intelligence. But, I don't foresee using a tube amp very often again, from this time forward. The effort that goes into mods for a great personal analog tone is too time-intensive, it is too expensive, and it is too physically demanding. And, even once a great analog tone is achieved, it still may not always get get heard by the audience. I really could get rid off everything else with no great practical effect or loss -- but, I can't.

Yep...my Axefx3's only friends are a Furman and a rack amp. Hell I actually had to buy blanks to fill the empty rack spaces. I did keep my digitech GNX4 but never use it.

This is a recurrent topic, with different titles. I sold almost everything back in 2006 when I got the Axe-FX Standard. Tons of refrigerator gear, from tube preamps to eventides.

I only keep the Roland VG-99 and bought the new Boss SY-1000, because FractalAudio doesn't do guitar modeling or hex-processing.

Last edited:
I as well am a Hobbyist. Went all in when I 1st heard the FM3 at jam levels. Now it is just my FM9. At 59, I do NOT miss the weight of my old Boogie Mrk III or Mrk V 112 combo. Nor my old fav upright 212 cab loaded with EV12s. Not in the slightest.

There IS a Heaven...... Fractal Be Thy Name! ;p

Sold almost everything, as no amp is as versitile as modellers. Mesa Roadking was super, but not for home. Same for 100 watt JVM410. Although i did struggle to have good sounds at rehearsel. But with the axe fx 3 it feels and sounds like a real amp. I like Marshall, Mesa, Vox and Fender Amps and that was not possible in One Amp solution. Now even the Dumble is super.

Back
Top Bottom