Who uses just 1 Cabinet IR?

Personally I have gotten lucky and have found that my favorite IR for recording that I use on everything, also is perfect for live. So I just stick with the same IR.. sometimes I'll depart and stick on the next for awhile etc. I like the consistency and in my mind I compare it to having an amp collection but having a cab that you rely on.. kind of how I actually have in my life lol.

… I like the consistency ...

Having played around with IRs for years I’ve settled on one cabinet that I like, and I use this for all my sounds. It’s one cabinet, but with two different mics, just like I would use with an actual amp. So two IRs in one CAB block,

Actually, I have a second pair of IRs for an acoustic guitar simulation. In this case they are two different Martins which were both tone matched to my Telecaster neck pickup. One IR gives me the tinkle which cuts through the band mix. The other has more body warmth for when it’s a guitar lead song.

Live use one for most. Unless I'm rying to nail something like Tool's Adam Jones tone then it's a blend of three a Marshall a Mesa and and separate cab block for the 15" speakers. I think most of use have dove into the rabbit hole of cabinet hell. My main cab is one I made in Nolly GGD Cali Studio it's a Mesa with 57 mic. I do a lot of shaping in the cab block EQ as well as room settings depending on what's need per song though.

Personally I have gotten lucky and have found that my favorite IR for recording that I use on everything, also is perfect for live. So I just stick with the same IR.. sometimes I'll depart and stick on the next for awhile etc. I like the consistency and in my mind I compare it to having an amp collection but having a cab that you rely on.. kind of how I actually have in my life lol.
Which one?

I have been using YA Mesa and Friedman mixes however recently came across a Cooper Carter video where he was showing how to record multiple cabs into a DAW and tried out several different mics blended and was happy with the result.

I use my own 2x12 Mesa Rectifier Cab IR that I've made on all amps and channels and it works great. No need to look for another one....

For all live presets I stick with the same cab. When using IEMs and running stereo I add the room mics; it's uncanny how realistic it can "feel". Otherwise just one IR, a YA mix. I found I can use different amp blocks without too much disparity between presets, but changing the cab is too much. All my presets use identical FX layouts as well, but vary relatively subtle things like delay times and levels, drive blocks, etc. I need to keep things consistent for live use or I can get confused, and start worrying about button tapping when I should be focusing on being musical.

Back
Top Bottom