Who uses just 1 Cabinet IR?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I only use 1 at a time, for the most part, and pretty much found 1 Cab that works good on everything. Having more than 1 Cab at a time eats up CPU and I always like the sound of my main IR. Let's talk about this and ideas for adding more and why? Obviously filling out frequency space. But thoughts???

I’m currently about to delve into using more than one IR per scene in the axe aswell…

I think it just gives your guitar tone more of a unique character.

If your main IR is too bright then you could use a darker IR of the same cab to balance it out. ( helps aswell if you’re using a bright amp)

*nothing a PEQ can’t fix but I digress…

Bonus : You can introduce wanted or unwanted comb filtering in your guitar tone with two IR’s.

I have a "go to combo" of the same two IR's for everything. A Valhallir Sidewinder with a Valhallir T-75, both shot with a SM57.

Maybe if it's 2x12, but it's rare.. If it's 4x12 IR I always only use one. To me it starts to sound more like a stadium stack (8x12) and don't need that for recording..

Last edited:
I use a one cab IR method on some patches two for others. One that surprised me as single IR was called “Albion Blend” from the Lancaster’s “Ulrich Wild IR pack”. I use it as my baseline, it’s a full range IR to me. But tone is subjective your mileage may vary.

Use 1 IR for the moment as I still need a better understanding of the application. Got the Ownhammer Moabi pack and found a mix that works for me. I may sometimes choose a different mix but I pretty much stick with this IR.

It’s one less thing to worry about

Many of the presets I've been working on lately started out as factory presets, which use a variety of cabs. I've sometimes changed up the cabs, but I'm much more likely to have changed amp settings.

The factory preset makers used cabs they thought were appropriate for the amps, and that's often a good starting point.

Last edited:
I only tend to use 2 cab IRs if I find 2 I really like and can't choose between them.

Most if the time I just use one.

My band uses one IR per member because it's they're the closest IRs to our physical speaker cabinets.

This way when we make adjustments, they work for both our IEMs, FOH & our physical cabinets.

LT TV Mix 7. I'm one of those :)

Agree with above, using a consistent cab is good for performing where you don't want radical changes in sound, especially when you have to EQ for a specific venue. For the same reason I often stick to one amp as well.

I use 2 at a time per preset of the same IR panned L/R because I often use stereo L/R amps, but set at 512 resolution as I hear little difference from maxres and it saves cpu. Each IR I use is a mic mix (usually 57/121). In total I don't use many compared to what I used to - basically 4:
  • Marshall 412,
  • Mesa 412
  • Fender 212,
  • Vox 212
Though I only use those 4 accross all my presets, I'm constantly futzing with those 4 looking for better versions from the 3rd pty libs I've purchased. (Music room operation only)

Usually the same 2 IRs, but on occasions when I want more IRs mixed and don't want eat up CPU, I'll shoot an IR of the mix in the box and then use that as a single IR.
It's kinda fun though to explore other IR options to bend your ears a little bit.

The Cab IR is really half the sound. Sometimes one IR nails it, but sometimes you need to blend them to make your sound have more bass, or more highs, or add mids. In the III I can use as many as four to get the sound I want. But usually one or two does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom